Is pet food a scam?

It depends on what you mean by 'real foods.'

If you're planning on just feeding the dog whatever leftover people food you have laying around, you're not doing it any favours. You're dramatically increasing the chance your dog will end up developing some sort of problem with the digestive system or the pancreas, et cetera.

If you're going to research it and just feed the dog the foods it is equipped to digest, then yes, of course real food is better. But you've increased your dog food
expenses four or five times over. You're basically going to pay the same amount in food for your dog as you would having another person living in the house with you.

That being said, every now and then I purchase a couple of those fancy single servings meals for my dogs as a treat from what I imagine has got to be a pretty monotonous diet, and I'll admit I've been tempted on occasion to give one a try. Some of those things look pretty tasty.

anyone feeding their pet a strict diet of table scraps should be shot, lol

"raw" diets have become increasingly popular, more along the 2nd diet you described (raw chicken & meats). They are expensive, but like someone posted above, it's basically what a wild cat or dog/wolf would eat.

I don't own a dog / cat so I don't know enough about raw diets, but I can only assume they are better. My buddy owns a purebread german shepard and has it on a raw diet, and swears by it.

Friend of mine has two dogs. He put one on a raw food diet because he had an odor problem. Not only did the odor problem go away his old dog seemed reinvigorated. Now he feeds it to both his dogs.

Friend of mine has two dogs. He put one on a raw food diet because he had an odor problem. Not only did the odor problem go away his old dog seemed reinvigorated. Now he feeds it to both his dogs.

Doesn't surprise me, like I said, I kind of had first hand experience in seeing what garbage we sent to a pet food company which makes your traditional pellets, whether for commercial farms or for pet stores.

I don't own any pets. But I am assuming they don't need to be eating glutens, corn starch, and all that nonsense. I'd reckon they only need Meat, Fruit, or Veg. Cats are carnivores and their food has all kinds of grain and stuff in it. Doesn't make sense.

What about bird food?

I think bird food is legit.

shits seeds and nuts how can it go wrong?

maybe the prices are high for the mix you could prob get
it cheaper if you bought them separate and made your own blend

As gross at it may seem, the main function of processed dog food is to regulate the dog's excrement. Feed it real food and see how fun it gets when you go on a long walk around the block.

Remember to bring your mop.

"raw" diets have become increasingly popular, more along the 2nd diet you described (raw chicken & meats). They are expensive, but like someone posted above, it's basically what a wild cat or dog/wolf would eat.

You know, I'm not convinced the price difference is all that. Sirloin vs. cheap kibble would be a big difference. But chicken vs. higher quality kibble isn't that far apart. I usually pay either .99 or 1.29 per pound on the chicken and the kibble was pretty close to a buck per pound.

No, that shit tastes great.

You know, I'm not convinced the price difference is all that. Sirloin vs. cheap kibble would be a big difference. But chicken vs. higher quality kibble isn't that far apart. I usually pay either .99 or 1.29 per pound on the chicken and the kibble was pretty close to a buck per pound.

Yeah, probably depends on location for prices, but if the price is that close I see no reason to not try out a raw diet, given that it's going to be a higher quality white meat instead of processed kibbles from crap.

My buddy did a ton of research and talked to his vet before putting his german shepherd on a raw diet though, so I hope nobody takes my advice and just starts feeding their pets raw foods.

I think it really depends on the food you give them. There are really two main types of diets....

You have the raw diet, which as it sounds is raw meat and vegetables. To do it right you need to tailor the ingredients for your specific animal. You give them raw chicken, cow, fish, deer, et cetera mixed with a lot of different things like carrots, potatoes, asparagus, carrots, cauliflower. You have to really plan ahead and do some math to make sure they get the right amount of calories and essential vitamins. You might have to supplement with pills to get it right. It's VERY expensive, but worth it if you do it right. There are a few companies that sell pretailored raw packages. They cost even more. If you have the time to do it though, then it's the best thing for a dog, but it takes a dedicated effort to do it right and make sure your dog stays healthy.

Then you have pre-made dog food. It's what most people think about. From there you really have a couple varieties. Some are complete shit, while others are actually very nutritious. Dry food vs wet food doesn't really matter unless your dog has chewing/digestion issues. The main separation between the different brands is whether it's mostly real meat or not. If you look at the list of ingredients, it should tell you what is in it. The absolute shit will have corn as the main ingredient. The best stuff for your dog will have actual meat as the main ingredient. When you look at the first ingredient, if it doesn't say: chicken, beef, salmon, buffalo, duck, venison, or some other meat, then don't give the shit to your dog. Basically what the crappy food has is a bunch of filler instead of real nutrition. Dogs are omnivores, but the main part of their diet needs to be protean at around 30% to 40%.

Essentially it doesn't matter OP. Dog food is just ground up and pressed food. Depending on what type you go with, it should have all the nutritional needs for your dog. If it doesn't and you're paying attention, you can add vitamins to their diet to supplement their meals.

As far as my personal experience I have 2 pit bulls. One is a 4 year old bitch and the other is a 2 year old boy. They are currently on a heavy mix of 4 cups Taste of The Wild buffalo, raw food, and GNC Multivitamin for Dogs. My bitch is a very sensitive dog when it comes to food. I've had her on every possible thing trying to settle her stomach, and the above works the best for her. Taste of The Wild is more expensive than a lot of other bags at $45/30lb bag but it's absolutely worth it. I've tried cheaper brands, but you can tell within days that she needs something different. She loves to eat it because it's like dog fast food, but her coat looks like shit. Her coat starts getting grey and dull. The hair starts thinning out. On top of that, she loses energy. I try to give them leftover raw food from mine and my girl's meals most days. They usually get about a 1lb. They'll also get random vegetables during the day. My dogs absolutely love to chomp on carrots. The daily multivitamin is just to make sure they get all they need.

Ultimately you really get what you pay for and put time into. The food available has been looked at by thousands of scientists to make sure it's balanced and nutritious for the dogs. The only difference is are you willing to spend more money to feed your dog bagged up good food or do you want to be cheap and give them bagged up crappy food? Or perhaps you have hours to dedicate to planning and preparing and do the raw diet, which is just the same thing except hopefully higher quality. The hardest part of a raw diet is making sure you give them everything they need. You can substitute tons of hours of dedicated planning and preparing for 1 metric *'fuckton of money'. Some people forget it's metric, not imperial.

My buddy did a ton of research and talked to his vet before putting his german shepherd on a raw diet though, so I hope nobody takes my advice and just starts feeding their pets raw foods.

I scoured the net and read everything I could. In the end I decided that obviously raw meat was the natural diet and there wasn't much reason to think that processed food was going to be better. It isn't for humans.

I got the hook up on quality meats. My Mastiff and Rottie eat good. Lots of pets getting sick from all the processed garbahj they eat just like people.

Cooking lean meats and good veggies for your dogs and cats is better and just as cheap really than buying bullshit like Blue Buffalo or Science Diet and whatnot.

my dog has been eating dog food, table scraps, and grass her whole life. she is going on seventeen years old.

The food available has been looked at by thousands of scientists to make sure it's balanced and nutritious for the dogs.

This is exactly what I was wondering. How much dog food was actually assembled to scientific standards to provide the maximum amount of healthful nutrition for your pet and how much dog food is basically overpriced crap assembled like McDonald's food, with fillers and all kinds of chemicals that are horrible for your health, but essential to turning a profit.

i dont think you realize how cheap pet food is+how long it lasts for regular food

i feed my dog the premium shit and even then its $40 for 3 weeks or more, you realize how expensive and time consuming it would be to buy fresh chicken every other day or whatever

i will also say i fed my childhood dog the cheapest shit available at the grocery store and whatever scraps we had for dinner and she turned 18 before she had a single health problem

i also have never regulated any of my dogs intake, just leave the food out since they were pups and i have never had a dog with a weight problem

i dont think you realize how cheap pet food is+how long it lasts for regular food

I don't think you understand how little that relates to quality. McDonald's dollar menu is full of burgers and none of them will ever really decompose.

I don't think you understand how little that relates to quality. McDonald's dollar menu is full of burgers and none of them will ever really decompose.

im not trying to buy 3 weeks of ready-to-eat food for myself all at once like i do for my dog

Back