Opinion Is patriotism dying ?

I think many on the right have blurred the lines between patriotism and nationalism. I think many on the left mistake patriotism for nationalism.

Last edited:
What's even more comical is that legal immigrants, the ones who cherish hardwork, personal accountability love this country more than leftists do. Edit ( poster above beat me to it)

I don't think this is a new thing though. Think about the 1960s, and the amount of anti-military sentiment there was. People actually protested against soldiers as they returned home. Or the scope of the civil rights movement, which upheaved so much of what American had previously stood for, for so many people.

I had a conversation with a 1st generation American yesterday about work ethic. She's my age, and her mother moved here when she was pregnant with her. We were talking about some current events, I won't bore you with all the details, but she made a statement that I thought was really interesting. She said, "I was brought here to overcome barriers, it's my purpose, it's reason I'm even here." That sounds like a very simple thing to say, since of course we are all supposed to overcome hardships. But in her case, she meant it much more literally than most of us do. You don't move your child all the way across the world just to half-ass it. When you get here, you have to be all-in.

The conversation went deeper than that, but I'd never heard it stated that way before and thought it was interesting.

Absolutely, especially in Western countries. Can't speak for others but I think it's slowly on the way out.

The current generation is mostly lost to leftist brainwashing, although there are plenty of notable exceptions. However, when the time comes, I believe we'll have enough patriots.

As our circle has increased we can now identify the flaws in our nation compared to a France, Germany, etc. As a Brit, I find it very hard to be proud of a country run incompetently and sees itself as greater then what it is due to it's past history.
I don't know about Britain, but i think good amount of French and Germans have great problems at feel patriotic at the moment... or better, they may feel patriotic but against who's ruling them

America used to be held in extremely high regard and Americans were extremely proud of who they were and their history - I feel like many Americans are now almost ashamed of being American

The Average American male was a red Forman type

I think it was because the older generation understood the sacrifices that were made to make America what it was and even thought it was obviously never perfect it was still very special

We also always had a major evil we were fighting against communism, Nazis, British etc and the alternatives seemed so much worse

It seems like the younger generation has no understanding of what it took for them to enjoy their “rights” their so quick to defend

They should be sent to China , Russia , and Venezuela and see how many “rights” They have

Can we have a strong and prosperous national
Without patriotism?

Is this a bi product of globalism and the internet connect people together throughout the world ?

liberals have tried their hardest to shit on America and demonize white males that created this great society. They’ve tried to destroy American culture and pretend that we don’t have any and if we do we are white nationalists. lol. Fuck them. My grandfathers fought in WW2. All they do is drink soy lattes and finger their asses

yes its dead. and im starting to think it shouldnt be saved

Blind pride in your place of residence is stupid.

It's just another tool for elites to control the population and stop them from questioning things.

Maybe people are starting to realize that a polished turd is still a turd?

The are tons of former servicemen struggling to make a living and while "thanking the troops" on every sporting event is good enough to make the average patriot all warm and fuzzy for apparently "supporting" them, I think most of them would prefer a better pension to all that hot air.

Plus , when it's about their own pockets most so called patriots forget their country and things such as "I love my country" turn into "This is a communist country now and I refuse to contribute".

Don't think such things don't filter down into society.

No. I'm quite fond of our rich impacts on both art and the culinary world. American music is incredible, our food scene is incredible. One of my favorite things about traveling the country by road is stopping and enjoying local cuisine in small towns. Food is a wonderful way to learn about a local regions history. Music? You kidding me. We dominate. Hip hop, punk, jazz, rock and roll, country, folk, bluegrass? Come the fuck on. Bro there's a place in the city on Monday nights I can take you to get amazing fried chicken for lunch, we can stop in for a bluegrass jam. Walk across the street, catch nextdoor comedy and burlesque, walk a block and hit up a metal bar, an electronica bar, and a a jazz bar all literally next to each other while waiting for the dude to pull up with a massive smoker selling fall of the bone ribs. Walk a block down and hit up a 24/7 karaoke bar.

That's America baby, and it's fucking awesome. When I travel I find places like that in every city and it's amazing.

So no. I love America for those reasons as well. But you mentioned being patriotic due to the sacrifices those before have made. And I'm patriotic for those sacrifices. Are you also thankful for those communists who died to give you your labor rights?

Am I proud as an American of our foreign policy? Absolutely not, why would you be? I'm a member of the WW2 museum here and spend quite a bit of time feeling quite patriotic there (outside of the Japanese Internment exhibit). I am in no way proud of what we've done to countries like Iraq, or the genocide we are actively taking part in in Yemen.

I'm saying if we actually work together to take care of each other as a country, lift the poor up, help the homeless, make the country better for everyone. We will likely see a return to the kind of patriotism you're speaking of.

You literally harkened back to a time when a HS education was sufficient to buy a house at a reasonable age.

For me it's primarily about civil liberties, domestic industry and being the dominant innovator on the globe, but this is a really great answer and definitely superior to the race, religion and military worship that people apparently base their 'patriotism' around.

The majority of those who love this country aren’t those protesting, rioting and looting. They are those that work hard and will be impacted the most by the mass unemployment and recession/depression approaching. These people that truly love and care about this country will have dire outlooks on life.

As great hardworking patriots fall into despair their patience and tolerance for despicable and immoral terrorist groups like BLM and Antifa will grow thin. When you’ve lost everything due to a perfect storm of uncontrollables you will be disgusted at the lazy entitled sloths who demand special treatment for being born in the last 30 years

Very interesting, thank you for sharing.

Have you heard of the Upstairs Lounge Fire? I live across the street from where it happened and went to a memorial a few days ago.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UpStairs_Lounge_arson_attack

It's actually pretty hilarious stuff.

One, Inc., or One Incorporated, was one of the first gay rights organizations in the United States, founded in 1952. The name was derived from an aphorism of Victorian writer Thomas Carlyle: "A mystic bond of brotherhood makes all men one". The name was also a nod to referring to a gay person as "one of us". ONE was the first LGBT organization in the United States to have its own office, and as such its offices acted as a prototype LGBT community center.

After a campaign of harassment from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and U.S. Post Office Department, the Los Angeles Postmaster Otto Olesen declared the October 1954 issue "obscene, lewd, lascivious and filthy" and therefore unmailable under the Comstock laws. In that issue, the Post Office objected to "Sappho Remembered", a story of a lesbian's affection for a twenty-year-old "girl" who gives up her boyfriend to live with her, the lesbian, because it was "lustfully stimulating to the average homosexual reader".

Think about the Bible. Who loved Israel more than the prophets who were constantly calling it out for it’s wicked ways and straying from the path of righteousness?

Those Blame Israel First'ers were a bunch of entitled leftist cry babies. I say, go live with the Philistines if you think Israel is so godless. You'll find out what godlessness really looks like!

Most people who trash the current generation seem like old fogeys who are more scared of losing relevancy than have an actual concern for the world around them.

I don't default to cheering on an American simply because they are an American when watching this olympics. Is that bad?

America used to be held in extremely high regard and Americans were extremely proud of who they were and their history - I feel like many Americans are now almost ashamed of being American

I think it was because the older generation understood the sacrifices that were made to make America what it was and even thought it was obviously never perfect it was still very special

We also always had a major evil we were fighting against communism, Nazis, British etc and the alternatives seemed so much worse

It seems like the younger generation has no understanding of what it took for them to enjoy their “rights” their so quick to defend

They should be sent to China , Russia , and Venezuela and see how many “rights” They have

Without patriotism?

Is this a bi product of globalism and the internet connect people together throughout the world ?
Ahhh, you don’t know the difference between what nationalism and patriotism is. American exceptionalism is commonly confused with patriotism. The fact this needs to be explained is why I stopped debating in the war room, this right Here.

Depends on your perspective. All the protestors are devoted to bring about their form of change for what they believe is the way forward for the country. Whether you agree with it or not that’s actual patriotism IMO. Not blind support for “muh flag” regardless of what’s actually going on in the world.

90% of those young people you think aren't patriots would sign up to fight for this country in an instant if we were attacked by an outside power.

Trying to improve and fix your country is an act of love not hate.

Without patriotism?

Great post TS, I agree with most of what you say. When I see videos of young people protesting, rioting, and carrying on about civil rights and oppression the first thing I think is that these people have no historical context whatsoever of these current events.

Yeah people like to clamor on about history repeating itself, and how we need to right the wrongs of the past, but how many people really make themselves students of history? How many people take the time to visit historical sites, read first hand accounts of the past, or research the history of nation's and cultures besides the ones they are directly tied to? Not many.

If there was any significant amount of people that did, they would understand what people lived through to bring us to this point, and would be more willing to build than they are to destroy. IMO.

What's even more comical is that legal immigrants, the ones who cherish hardwork, personal accountability love this country more than leftists do. Edit ( poster above beat me to it)
Legal or illegal i believe this 100%

Natural born americans have either forgot what it means to be american, or have had it programmed out of them.

I dont see how that ends good

Back