Is Pacquiao a top 10 ATG?

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
He's the only 8 division world champion in boxing history, and his resume is absolutely insane.

Has he done enough to be considered a top 10 ATG?

He is not an 8 division champion, Lineal Ring magazine titles do not count. He never won a legit title at 126 pounds or 140.
Top 10 that is way too high. He wasn't even in the Top 50 on ESPN's boxing list. Now if he unifies the titles at Welterweight he easily makes Top 70 easily.

He's top 10 for sure. One of the greatest talents boxing has ever seen. What he managed to accomplish is remarkable.

Yeah definitely top 10. The fact that he is still going and beating young in their prime fighters at higher weight classes like Thurman is a testament to that.

Resume and list of accomplishments put him top 5.

Wow at the guys putting him in the top 10 talk about drinking the koolaid.

He wasn't even on ESPN's Top 50 ATG list how the heck is he going to break into the top 10 all of a sudden? He never won a real belt at 126 or 140. He just beat the lineal champs of the division that means nothing that is only for the mention, its not on paper and doesn't count. He won a IBO title against Hatton thats not part of the 4 recognized bodies.

strong recency bias here
EXACTLY!

It reminds me of 2008-2011 Pacmania all over again. Everyone was saying he was the baddest dude in boxing, the boogeyman, and all this, but then he gets knocked out by Marquez and they jumped ship, then spring back up right before he fights Floyd acting like they were always with him even after the KO, even though the ppv numbers say otherwise.

then after he loses to Floyd they left him again and then now they Reappear after he beats Thurman

Pac attracts bandwagon casuals. They will forget about him after Spence knocks him cold. watch what I say, if Pac loses or gets knocked out he wont even be mentioned in Top 25 convos anymore they will all leave again and act like they never heard of him before.

Resumes matter and so do accomplishments, but head 2 head out weighs those but a certain margin.
Which means Mayweathers dominate win over Pacquiao weighs more heavily than Pacquiaos 8 division championships.
Mayweather has 5 to himself by the way, and other records that you can bring up like how many champions hes defeated and so on.

But if Pacquiao is a top 10 ATG, than Mayweather must be top 3.
How could anyone sit there and go "Mannys higher because he won belts"
Fuck that, thats what his moronic fans say.
Mayweather is a better and greater boxer than Manny, so remember where you stick Manny on the list because you'll need to put Floyd even higher on it.

I think the Floyd fans will be surprised in a decade or so, how the consensus view the fighters of the past 2 decades and how they appear on the P4P list.

When considering head to head battles, natural weight and age need to come into play.
I don’t doubt Floyd beats Manny at any point in their careers, but Pac’s Natural ideal weight is probably 122-126. Floyd is probably
ideally a 140 pounder. That’s 3-4 weight classes, so Floyd wins head to head, but is he really greater because of that? I don’t think so.
Same reason I think Duran is greater than SRL, Duran is naturally a lightweight and Leonard a Welter. Ray would beat him the majority of the time, but he’s also naturally bigger.
Even recently, Mikey Garcia lost to Errol Spence, but at this point I think Mikey is the greater fighter.

I know the overwhelming majority would have Ray Robinson as #1 all time, with Ali #2, but curious to see who the next 8 would be over Pac and why.

Back