Is Neil Magny in over his head picking up another fight so soon against Erick Silva?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Rebel_LioN, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Rebel_LioN

Rebel_LioN Silver Belt

Maia snapped his 7 fight win streak where he was dominated on the floor and Neil decides to pick up another fight for a 3 week camp against another dangerous Black belt in Erick. He was also buzzed through against another Brazilian black belt in Moraes earlier in his UFC career.

So I noticed on his wiki page he's been promoted to brown belt under I think Elliot Marshall?

So apparently they are really confident in his BJJ or are they delusional? I'm not saying either one but it surprises me he wants to fight so soon. He'd have 2 losses in August alone if he loses on the 23rd.

Erick Silva may not be on the same level as Maia but he's dangerous as fuck in that first round and he is a brute when it comes to submissions.

Is Neil fuckin up? Or do you think he's better than Silva who's been inconsistent in his career thus far.

2. stevenseagle

stevenseagle Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Magny Via TKO

3. $uicideboy$

$uicideboy$ ROPE GANG Banned

4. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

he can win if he can weather ericks early storm. Erick is dangerous as hell in the first round though

5. Zat Right

Zat Right White Belt

High risk/high reward for Magny. If he beats Silva's ass he looks like the killer. If not then he's a loss or two away from losing his job.

6. Private Whatley

Private Whatley Purple Belt

I disagree. His job is safe regardless. This will be his fourth fight THIS YEAR and he's stepping in on short notice to save a co-main event. I'm sure Joe Silva and Dana White fantasize about waking up one morning to a roster filled with Cowboy Cerrones and Neil Magnys.

7. ilfirin

ilfirin Silver Belt

To be fair, Maia is a nightmare on the ground for 99% of the division.

8. ggtopdog

ggtopdog Purple Belt

I'll be there live ... Awesome replacement but I wish it was cowboy

9. tucan89

tucan89 Purple Belt

He will be fine

10. CR0W

CR0W BOXING

I think he takes a late stoppage or decision. Silva is explose and slick on the mat but he is no Maia. Providing he weathers the initial storm there is no reason he can't win. Surprised to see so many people count him out.

11. ArtemV

ArtemV Gold Belt

Magny will never be a contender imo, but that is okay,mostpeople get subbed when grappling with Maia.

12. DyinHawaiian

DyinHawaiian #FEELTHEBERN

Where you at Georges? Where you at motherfucker?!
    Maia beat Fitch and Sonnen and had close fights with Rory and Weidman, there's no shame in losing to him.

If Magny makes it out of the first round, his chances of winning increase dramatically.

13. M Raid K

M Raid K Black Belt

Initially I though Magny would weather the storm and grind a decision / late TKO win. But then I considered Silva's grappling provess and doubted. Silva swarms on people early with vicious kicks and punches, but he may try to take Magny down and if he's successful, can Magny survive on the ground? 2 times he's been on his back against experienced BJJ players he lost (Moraes, Maia). In 3 weeks he won't shore this big hole for sure. Maybe, it's smarter to pick Silva by submission.

14. Zefram Cochrane

Zefram Cochrane Follow me on Pictogram

he is pulling a bendo

15. Organic Damage

Organic Damage Vantablack belt

IMO Erick Silva with his frontrunning ways plays exactly into the hands of a guy like Magny, who seems to have good cardio as well as a good workrate.

I guess there's a chance he could land a big shot and get Magny out of there early, but that seems unlikely.

16. TASTEofmySCYTHE

TASTEofmySCYTHE Silver Belt

I think Silva finishes him in the first personally.

17. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

He didn't get hurt badly in the Maia fight (didn't get hurt much at all, really), and Erik Silva's BJJ is nowhere near Moraes or Maia. They're two of the best pure BJJ guys in the UFC. I like this fight for Magny, he just has to get out of the first and I think he takes it.

18. xP

xP Silver Belt

I think he can beat Silva. Silva is very slick on the mat but he doesn't have the control, wrestling, or conditioning of Maia so I think Magny will avoid the ground game and out work him standing.

He just came off a training camp where he prepared for a bjj guy and could benefit from that.

19. The Taxman

The Taxman Askren P4P #1

I don't think so. All he has to do is survive the first 2 minutes and his chances to win increase drastically

20. The_Renaissance

The_Renaissance Sherdog Bunceweight Champion

Not necessarily.

Silva's a 1-round beast. Magny can go for days, I'm sure he's relying on this as to why he's taken the fight. Would be a NICE win for him.

That said, Neil gets hit, and Silva hits....really bloody hard. Silva finishes him before he gasses.