is my son being to rough in judo?

Go back and read more stuff by Einarr. I like him as a poster, but sometimes I shake my head.

I DO see his point on this, though. My daughter's school is such a hippie camp. THe boys cant really be boys. And I can't believe the haircuts and shit some of these boys are into.

You see his point? What, that the gays and the feminists got to your kid's school with their nefarious agenda to make the boys into....non-boys? Gay boys? Boys who regard women as equal? Man, there's so much to unwrap there it's unreal. And nonsensical. Oh, not to mention misogynist and homophobic.

Einarr is a perfect example of why it's so important to dispossess young boys of the notion that patriarchy is a good thing. We really don't more young men growing up to be stunted pricks as adults.

Go back and read more stuff by Einarr. I like him as a poster, but sometimes I shake my head.

I DO see his point on this, though. My daughter's school is such a hippie camp. THe boys cant really be boys. And I can't believe the haircuts and shit some of these boys are into.

Yes, it seems to be a current occurrence when talking to dads.
The modern society or more like school system in their town/countries does not encourage boys being boys or even sports achievement.
From a young age, they are told that it is ok just too participate. They do not even awards trophies. They just give certificates of participation.
Kids do not even know what is the meaning or winning or losing.
I think it is a problem.
And this attitude is moving into martial arts.

Yes, it seems to be a current occurrence when talking to dads.
The modern society or more like school system in their town/countries does not encourage boys being boys or even sports achievement.
From a young age, they are told that it is ok just too participate. They do not even awards trophies. They just give certificates of participation.
Kids do not even know what is the meaning or winning or losing.
I think it is a problem.
And this attitude is moving into martial arts.

Blame the sports dad for that, until they reach their teenage years, its ok to just participate

On topic-

It is one thing to be "aggressive" and another to show "controlled aggression". I believe judo should be about showing "controlled aggression" and those who are just aggressive will hurt someone or get hurt someday.

I could do the same shit this kid does in comp too. Just keep attacking over and over in an utterly predictable and stupid manner. You know what'll happen? I'll get countered and get ipponed immediately.

That isn't to say that aggression is bad, or that being offensive is bad. Rather, you need to be showing controlled aggression. That is, you need to be very deliberate and purposeful in the manner you attack and move. No wishy-washy, "oh I'm going to try for this ippon seoinage but I'm not going to put everything into it" crap. Rather "He's in a position where I can try for an ippon seoinage. I commit to it seriously!"

Just saying that he's great for being "aggressive" doesn't really achieve much, cause being aggressive isn't very useful in judo to begin with.

Is that your views on ts kid after watching the videos?

When he repeatedly tries for what looks like an osoto gari in the first and second video, yes.

I'm trying to find a video I saw a long time ago. It showed a boy who was roughly around the TS's boy's age wrestling. That boy showed incredible aggression, but also had what seemed to me like actual skill behind it. He clearly knew what he was doing and simply outclassed his opponents every time.

The TS's kid isn't doing that.

Edit-
And I found it. I should have just searched in youtube first instead of looking for it in old facebook posts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LcSGzh9Tlw

Last edited:
At the moment im trying to get my son to stop trying the same technique in competitions. He knows plenty of other moves but it seems to be a switch that goes off in his head when he competes. Im guessing its down to that he has won a lot of golds so far because of it. As dirty holt has said it would probably be best to pull back from competitions and focus more on improving his game.
I do have to remind myself that he is only seven. I don't want him ever to be in a position where he doesn't enjoy training but i do want him to deal with adversity and learning that you don't get anything without hard work.
I would appreciate the word stupid not being used about my son.

Parents complaining about your kid going to rough? What are they stupid dude! I swear to god bro, there is so much stuff joshua can do to these fucking idiots, I mean have some respect bro, don't they know him, don't they know who joshua is bro!!!??

In all seriousness, if parents care about their kid that much, they should put them in to tai chi or yoga or something. No one said their kid HAS to take judo for a hobby/sport.

I would appreciate the word stupid not being used about my son.

There would be nothing separating you from the other parents whose concern for their children you questioned in this thread if you take "attacking over and over in an utterly predictable and stupid manner" as a direct insult towards your child or in any way me trying to indicate anything about him beyond the way he attacks in judo.

If you truly believe that I meant to insult your son in my post... then, as you wrote in the OP, you are indeed biased.

There would be nothing separating you from the other parents whose concern for their children you questioned in this thread if you take "attacking over and over in an utterly predictable and stupid manner" as a direct insult towards your child or in any way me trying to indicate anything about him beyond the way he attacks in judo.
I

If you truly believe that I meant to insult your son in my post... then, as you wrote in the OP, you are indeed biased.

I apologies if i interpreted your message incorrectly. I just thought it was quite a harsh way to talk about a seven year olds Judo.
I know there is no way to sugar coat that he keeps trying the same moves in competitions.
When he is doing randori at training i ban him from doing osoto gari/head and arm shift and he does fine.
His coach has contacted me because my son got quite upset about not being awarded the second fight i posted.
He said him and the rest of the coaches are impressed with his aggression and also the way he changes directions of attack which he said is very rare from someone his age.
He said the ref was being unusually hard on him while letting other kids get away with much worse in other fights.
That why my partner interpreted it as racial but i hope it wasn't that.

You see his point? What, that the gays and the feminists got to your kid's school with their nefarious agenda to make the boys into....non-boys? Gay boys? Boys who regard women as equal? Man, there's so much to unwrap there it's unreal. And nonsensical. Oh, not to mention misogynist and homophobic.

Einarr is a perfect example of why it's so important to dispossess young boys of the notion that patriarchy is a good thing. We really don't more young men growing up to be stunted pricks as adults.

Working in the public school system and getting paid to coach kids, he has a point. There is an overwhelming tide of rhetoric in America that male masculinity is archaic and needs to be done away with. This includes things like aggression and competition.

Because having a lack of aggression and poor results within venues that require competition to succeed, Americans who cannot or refuse to embrace masculine traits that are needed to get ahead will use shame tactics to put a stigma on the exact things that combat sports build in young men. They can therefore can use their magniloquence to invalidate anyone who engages in masculine activities such as BJJ, wrestling, football, or anything sort of alpha behavior.

Einarr may come off as an assinine prick, but he has a point here that I have to deal with on a daily basis as a teacher and coach of young males.

Working in the public school system and getting paid to coach kids, he has a point. There is an overwhelming tide of rhetoric in America that male masculinity is archaic and needs to be done away with. This includes things like aggression and competition.

Because having a lack of aggression and poor results within venues that require competition to succeed, Americans who cannot or refuse to embrace masculine traits that are needed to get ahead will use shame tactics to put a stigma on the exact things that combat sports build in young men. They can therefore can use their magniloquence to invalidate anyone who engages in masculine activities such as BJJ, wrestling, football, or anything sort of alpha behavior.

Einarr may come off as an assinine prick, but he has a point here that I have to deal with on a daily basis as a teacher and coach of young males.

I TOTALLY IN EVERY WAY hate to even agree with a tiny bit of Einarr's post but yes there is a real issue. I don't think it is male/female - I think it is more about being over protective, over valuing conformity and risk adverse. I have a daughter who is very competitive and physical and she is constantly being squashed by the school system. And, compared to the boys who get in trouble for being physically competitive, she gets into even more trouble since a girl really shouldn't be acting like that. As a whole I think our culture has gotten risk/competition adverse, and that is a bad thing. Kids should be allowed to take risks, be physical and even get hurt. This is how they learn about life.

In Poland we have a conservative politician, who makes this statement about agression being eradicated from boys as a source of the fall of our civilisation in every second inter view or podcast. For real. He's our version of Nigel Farage :)

Kind of a theme in Atlas Shrugged, now I'm no English scientist so take it easy, was this idea that just got mentioned in the last few posts.

Not necessarily about stifling manliness but rather ideas, thinking, doing things for yourself. Society had grown into this nasty morph of greedy business people that actually couldn't do anything. But of course they knew HOW to do everything better.

For years they had conditioned the public to accept this. That for the good of man, and basically to save the world, they needed to follow these rules. Of course it drove everything into the ground. The people that could do stuff revolted, leaving the business people in their own mess, etc.

They did it by constantly telling people it was wrong to feel this way, or you should never ever want to do this (such as not give half a paycheck back for example because joe family needs just as much bread as you.) How dare you be so greedy? It was just a big ass, long guilt trip.

This is the way I think the American view of competition has gone has has been mentioned. Everyone gets a medal, blah blah blah. It's crap. In real life, there are winners and losers, you may have to get up and get what you want. Maybe take it. I feel like not just schools, mainly media, are trying to lay the guilt trip as in how dare you try to win? Um, because I want to win at everything?

(tangent (as if this entire thing already isn't): I believe this attitude that some of you on here yes, some of you, have is why you disliked TLI at least a little.)

I feel that we should have winners and losers.

Once again, I am old. I grew up in the 70's, 80's. The Cold War was a big deal. The U.S. played that up so much with that hockey game, Rambo, that by the 1984 Olympics they had male adults chomping at the bit like for the wrestling team. IMO soon after is when it became not so great to win and interestingly this is when USA wrestling almost died off.

With mma, it has seen a much needed comeback. It is at least a little okay to be tough again. I just hope it filters back down.

I forgot to add how long my son has been training, he has been wrestling properly one day a week for the last year, bjj one day a week for the last year and judo since about September last year.
I'm not sure how to compare him to someone like Steve poulin but I'm sure my son is not training no where near as much as him. I'm trying t keep it fun for him and not burn him out at all.
I do combat sambo twice a week and he watches me as his bjj class finishes half an hour before my class finishes. He is now telling me he wants to try it as it looks fun.

Back