Is my ringworm getting worse?

akdms

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So a couple weeks ago I got ringworm in my beard. I went to the doctor and she just told me to use any athlete's foot cream. I asked her for a prescription (I've read a lot of places that it's hard to get rid of on the face because it gets into the hair follicles, and usually needs an oral med). She said okay and writes me a prescription. I pay her, leave, go to the pharmacist and find the "prescription" was for a non-prescription cream (clotrimazole / Lotrimin)...

Anyway, I've using it for two weeks twice a day along with the last bit of Defense soap when I shower. It looked like it was fading, but a few days ago I ran out of Defense soap and have just been using the cream. Since then it went from looking like a ring to a filled-in rash and is constantly peeling, where it really wasn't before.

Is the ringworm getting worse now? Is the constant peeling bad, or does that normally happen when it heals?

I haven't been able to train in two weeks and have a tournament in a couple weeks, and am I'm thinking about going back to the doctor tomorrow. But I don't want to have to pay again to find out that it's healing.

At the same time I don't want to wait the four weeks she told me it would take only to find out that the cream isn't doing shit and that the worm got worse and end up being out for another month while I wait for a different med to work.

Lol that she gave you the otc rx.

If you feel you need a second opinion then go get it. It's your body.

If you are questioning if you're getting better than you would know better than any internet forum. Except maybe a doctors forum.

Anyway hope it helps. Good luck!

So a couple weeks ago I got ringworm in my beard. I went to the doctor and she just told me to use any athlete's foot cream. I asked her for a prescription (I've read a lot of places that it's hard to get rid of on the face because it gets into the hair follicles, and usually needs an oral med). She said okay and writes me a prescription. I pay her, leave, go to the pharmacist and find the "prescription" was for a non-prescription cream (clotrimazole / Lotrimin)...

Anyway, I've using it for two weeks twice a day along with the last bit of Defense soap when I shower. It looked like it was fading, but a few days ago I ran out of Defense soap and have just been using the cream. Since then it went from looking like a ring to a filled-in rash and is constantly peeling, where it really wasn't before.

Is the ringworm getting worse now? Is the constant peeling bad, or does that normally happen when it heals?

I haven't been able to train in two weeks and have a tournament in a couple weeks, and am I'm thinking about going back to the doctor tomorrow. But I don't want to have to pay again to find out that it's healing.

At the same time I don't want to wait the four weeks she told me it would take only to find out that the cream isn't doing shit and that the worm got worse and end up being out for another month while I wait for a different med to work.

its coming back. go to a dermatologist, tell them what happened, ask for lotramin pills. if you have any form of liver issues its dangerous but it's the normal oral medication....

take care of it... 72 hours after you're on the pills, you can start training again

Try changing your sheets and blankets everynight alot of people miss that detail , try using head and shoulders shampoo or another good dandreff shampoo like denorex as a body wash and shower in the morning , afternoon if you can and agian before you go to bed of course new towel everytime you have a shower .
clamatzole works but its slow . hopefully it will clear up soon .

ohhh gota love free healthcare ;) doctor visit 0.00 ;)

Try the over the counter Lamisil. Best stuff for fungal infections IMO. Friend of mine had a doctor tell him that Lamisil is the only stuff that actually kills the fungus. All the rest inhibit growth. I've had RW in the beard too. Just used Lamisil till it was gone, then continued to apply for at least a week.

Another option that works pretty well is Apple Cider Vinegar. Get a cotton ball soaked in ACV and apply to the RW until the ring gets nice and white, and a bit raised. Let it dry out, then repeat the next day. Usually 2 applications kills it, and it will dry and peal, but if it itches at all after that you will need to apply again.

I have used Lamisil with great success, but that was for toe fungus...not sure if Lamisil targets a specific breed of fungus or what, but read up on it. Although you don't want to pay for a second opinion, it might be worth it. At least you know that you won't go back to that doctor again.

Are you sure it was the same dosage/concentration as the OTC stuff?

I have used Lamisil with great success, but that was for toe fungus...not sure if Lamisil targets a specific breed of fungus or what, but read up on it. Although you don't want to pay for a second opinion, it might be worth it. At least you know that you won't go back to that doctor again.

athletes foot and ringworm are the same fungus, the tinea fungus, the name only changes based on where its found

Ask for Nizerol (ketoconazole) cream it works better for me than the clotrimazole. Also the pill version didnt work as well as the cream did for me. You have to keep putting it on even when it fades for another 2 weeks at minimum.

Back