Is my headgear ruined???

bulldogfire

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I moved to a high humidity environment back in October. I have not used my gear much since then.

Last night I opened up my bag to search for something. I have Hayabusa headgear with the felt lining on the inside. Lo and behold, it had TONS of mold in the lining. Not just splotches but even fuzz. o_0 I'm overseas in a more rural place so it's not like I can get a replacement, but it was pretty gross looking. I don't have money to spare for a replacement as well.

I am wondering if I should just throw it away. :(

If I hand washed it with some detergent, I am just wondering if the spores would all be sunk so deep that it would be pointless and still contaminated.

Anybody ever had this happen before????

Never happened to me but my headgears are all leather. I would toss the headgear... not worth putting that shit on your face.

YOu could try soaking it in isopropyl alcohol but its probably fucked.

You can only get rid of mould on non-porous materials like bathroom tiles. Porous materials should be thrown away.

I used anti-fungus spray on some stuff I stored in my basement. It smelled like chloride for a week, but it worked.

Scrub with bleach water (a cap full added to a gallon of cold water) then dry. Once it's completely dry throw it in the freezer for a few days. It might be a lost cause but it's worth a shot

Scrub with bleach water (a cap full added to a gallon of cold water) then dry. Once it's completely dry throw it in the freezer for a few days. It might be a lost cause but it's worth a shot

This is your best shot. After scrubbing, let it soak for a while... It will probably ruin the material and the smell will make you sick. If you manage to get rid of the mold, you will need to rinse it with water multiple times.

Diluted bleach solution or bleach wipes... worked on mine... it has been two years and no sign of more mold.

Wash thoroughly.

Let air dry in sun... rewash with lemon juice solution.

I would just throw it away, because I don't know how deep the spores have entered the material even if I wash it fifty times.

Back