is my gym delaying my membership on purpose?

ZroC

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I think the answer is yes but I need to ask.

I asked 2 weeks ago for my medical form and they sad they'd give it time next time. Now two weeks have passed and they're saying they need to request form from the local council at the next meeting which is a month away. The thing is I've spoken to one sound coach who told me in the beginning that its just a form that can be printed out from the computer. I'm annoyed that they might be blatantly giving me the cold shoulder.

Now this is an amateur only gym in Ireland so some input from local boxers would help but I imagine it can't be much different abroad. If they told me out right they didn't think I was ready I wouldn't mind but like this I feel they're screwing with me and I dont like it. I'm paying my fee like everyone else.

Sounds like you got something to say to them. Challenge the form business without outright anger. If they bullshit call em out. Is my first thought.

It could be anything man.

Depends what's most important too you. If there's nothing else available and your set on this gym you might have to suck up your pride.

I think the answer is yes but I need to ask.

I asked 2 weeks ago for my medical form and they sad they'd give it time next time. Now two weeks have passed and they're saying they need to request form from the local council at the next meeting which is a month away. The thing is I've spoken to one sound coach who told me in the beginning that its just a form that can be printed out from the computer. I'm annoyed that they might be blatantly giving me the cold shoulder.

Now this is an amateur only gym in Ireland so some input from local boxers would help but I imagine it can't be much different abroad. If they told me out right they didn't think I was ready I wouldn't mind but like this I feel they're screwing with me and I dont like it. I'm paying my fee like everyone else.

Seems like there's some back-story to all this...

Seems like there's some back-story to all this...
d

What are you thinking?

There might be something there I suspect but itll be hard to call it out. I just want to know if this is standard procedure.

I'm not sure, but are you speaking of the medical forms you need for the AIBA book?

I'm not sure, but are you speaking of the medical forms you need for the AIBA book?

Whatever medical forms I need to start boxing. I dont know the definitions for all this.

What do you mean by back stort?

Sorry for being so straight but I'm on a tablet and can't type much.

I mean did anything happen between you and them previous to this? And yeah, that would be the medical form to have the Amateur passbook.

I mean did anything happen between you and them previous to this? And yeah, that would be the medical form to have the Amateur passbook.

Between the gym officially? Then no. But there's a fierce locals only attitude in the town in general, and I'm from Dublin. There's sort of a big locals vs dubs attitude in every sports club round here and I think I might be caught my up in it.

Yeah, then that's your likely culprit. I have a buddy in Dublin who gets criticized everywhere he fights that isn't Dublin.

Sure ya probably have all matching gear and box with a latte inbetween rounds, speaking on a bluetooth headset with ya trader. ;)

If I were you I'd brush off the passive aggressiveness and instead of taking the direct (escalatory) route by pushing the issue, I'd just go and get my own form and have it filled out and hand it to them like you didn't notice or care about their grumblings

Also, have several xerox copies because they'll probably misplace the first one or two you give them (give it to different staff persons each time if you can because they're not going to co-ordinate with each other that well-- that'd take too much energy)

Once you get in, it should get easier as you start building a rep. If it gets worse and worse-- if they're that dedicated to ruining you*-- then you might need to find another gym

(watch the movie "Milliion Dollar Baby" to see how this should play out)

from what you're saying you're still not training and i'm not sure if you've trained before.

if it's a form they need filled out why don't you print it out and take it to them if they're so obviously looking for excuses?

but why would you need any forms at all if it's only training? i understand you need medical approval to fight and compete but just training?

from what you're saying you're still not training and i'm not sure if you've trained before.

if it's a form they need filled out why don't you print it out and take it to them if they're so obviously looking for excuses?

but why would you need any forms at all if it's only training? i understand you need medical approval to fight and compete but just training?

Can I print that out myself or just get it from the doctor?

I am training. I've been training for just over 4 months now. I want to fight but I can't fight without filling out the medical form. I have sparring sessions most nights I go in.

Twice now we were supposed to be going light "feeling each other out" and twice I came out with a bruised rib in the same place around my back near my kidneys. The second fella I sparred with was a cruiserweight (I'm MW) and he ripped me in the kidneys for nearly every second punch while the coach said nothing. I had to stop after each kidney shot but the coach kept telling the other guy to continue. At most I got about 5 seconds to recover.

It sounds like they are telling you that you are not ready. They even let their man rip on you a bit to get you to come to that conclusion.

Don't ask to fight. Ask your coach how ready he thinks you are.

They might be trying to shore you up a bit before you go in.

4 months is not long.

This is what Sin meant by backstory.

I am training. I've been training for just over 4 months now. I want to fight but I can't fight without filling out the medical form. I have sparring sessions most nights I go in.

Twice now we were supposed to be going light "feeling each other out" and twice I came out with a bruised rib in the same place around my back near my kidneys. The second fella I sparred with was a cruiserweight (I'm MW) and he ripped me in the kidneys for nearly every second punch while the coach said nothing. I had to stop after each kidney shot but the coach kept telling the other guy to continue. At most I got about 5 seconds to recover.

dude, this doesn't sound right. it seems like you're being used as a moving punching bag to me.

I don't know how things are where you live but here you get your coach to sign off on your book form, you get the booklet then you do your medicals. You can print out a form for a book but it requires the coach's signature for you to represent his/her gym, I think. From then on, you can just pop down to the doctors to do a blood test/basic body check - this component doesn't require your coach to be around at all.

As for this post, dude, that gym doesn't feel right.

1. Unless you are very talented, don't fight with only 4 months of experience under your belt. Most people wait around 9 months to 2 years for a reason.

2. That sparring just doesn't sound safe. Usually, people spar with people around their own size and if there is a weight difference the larger person is expected to hold back. The fact that you are getting injured beyond the occasional bruise/bloody nose is concerning...especially since the coach is supervising. I mean, he must have noticed the intensity and decided not to care or he didn't notice the intensity which says a lot about how good a coach he is (read: he isn't a good coach at all). Either way, he's not someone you want in your corner.

Back