Is my body trying to tell me something??

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by DevilMMA, Jul 22, 2010.

1. DevilMMA

DevilMMA Orange Belt

I do a 4 day week upper/lower workout, 50/50 balance in terms of volume of strength (3-5) and hypertrophy (8-10) work.

Now what I have noticed is that my poundages have been going up on every exercise consistently when Im doing exercises/sessions for strength but struggling a lot more for poundage increases on my hypertrophy exercises/sessions.

Obviously I am aware that you are more likely to generate poundage increases with pure strength work but the difference is quite noticeable. My bodyweight is the highest its ever been and although I have gained a little fat, its really not that bad. The weird thing is that although I have got bigger in terms of lean muscle it doesnt seem proportionate to my weight gain (bone density perhaps??)

Am I just naturally geared towards strength work or is the fact that I do a mixture of strength and hypertrophy work causing issues? Its a curious one because my overall program is exactly 50/50 spread between the two.

???

2. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

If you read what you just wrote, you answer your own question.

You are doing a range of reps for strength, and it is making you stronger, as measured by the fact that you are lifting more weight.

You are doing a range of reps for hypertrophy, and the weight you are lifting is not increasing as fast.

If all rep ranges were made equal for improving strength (as measured by the amount of weight you lift), then it wouldn't matter whether you were training lower reps or higher reps, would it?

3. FiveFeezy

FiveFeezy Orange Belt

I'm currently doing the Wendler 5/3/1 and usually add the BBB drop sets in and the same thing is happening to me. I can increase my poundage easily, but I can't always complete the drop sets. I think it has something to do with focusing on the strength training first. You've increased the intensity from the previous workout, leaving your body a little more spent than its used to, leaving less gas in the tank for the drop sets. I don't think its important as long as your able to increase the poundage on your strength sets. If your getting stronger, you're still getting bigger.

4. superking

superking Poet — Traveler — Soldier of Fortune

Are you using the same lifts for both phases, and just increasing the reps when doing the hypertrophy phase? Am I assuming correctly? If so, try increasing poundage only during your strength phase, use that increased poundage during your higher-rep hypertrophy phase.

5. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

Are you looking at this based off of percentages? Obviously you will be using less weight on higher reps, so a 5 lbs increase is much more significant as compared to a weight you are using for lower reps. If you were doing 315 lbs for 3 reps and are now doing 335 lbs for 3 reps, the increase from 185 for 10 reps to 195 lbs for 10 reps would be fairly equivalent.

They like to call me master of the obvious.

6. DevilMMA

DevilMMA Orange Belt

Yup using the same lifts and same volume of sets...... just differing the rep range.

I aim to increase where I can poundages on both phases.

And before anyone states the obvious AGAIN...... I am aware that my poundages are more likely to go up on strength days. The issue is that I have trained in the past bodybuidling style workouts and exclusivley in the 8-12 range and my poundages went up quicker then they do know.

Is my body naturally "prioritising" strength?

7. glennpendlay

glennpendlay Yellow Belt

The increased weight you are doing on your strength work is making you more tired for your back off sets or whatever it is that you are doing. This is a common thing, dont worry about it.