Is muay thai as complex and as hard to learn as BJJ?

When I say that Muay Thai is easy to learn I mean that the Mechanics of muay Thai techniques are pretty easy to learn. However, it takes time and plenty of practice to execute the the techniques during a live fighting situation, with strategy, using the many variations of the techniques and set ups. All of this in addition to fitting them in the context of an overall fighting strategy and executing the techniques with speed and power.

This takes a lot of time.

Judging by your username I assume you train in or are a fan of ashihara, a style which I am defending in this thread yet you are on their side? Despite what you guys say, I am not a troll, I'm just giving my opinion like everybody else.

some of us have constructive posts in this thread...one of us has less than 50 posts and already is on dubs.

which one of these is not like the others?

btw...everyone is entitled to an opinion. its just that yours is shit.

When I say that Muay Thai is easy to learn I mean that the Mechanics of muay Thai techniques are pretty easy to learn. However, it takes time and plenty of practice to execute the the techniques during a live fighting situation, with strategy, using the many variations of the techniques and set ups. All of this in addition to fitting them in the context of an overall fighting strategy and executing the techniques with speed and power.

This takes a lot of time.
I still wouldn't say the mechanics are easy. The concept is easy, but the actual mechanics of throwing a quality Thai kick are very rarely done well even by many people just on the pads/bag.

I still wouldn't say the mechanics are easy. The concept is easy, but the actual mechanics of throwing a quality Thai kick are very rarely done well even by many people just on the pads/bag.

It may not be as easy as some other combat arts/sports out there but MT is definitely not as complex and as hard to learn as BJJ.

It may not be as easy as some other combat arts/sports out there but MT is definitely not as complex and as hard to learn as BJJ.
I would say that BJJ just has way more individual techniques to learn, and they all get chained together in multiple ways so ya Id agree the overall style is more complex in that regard.

Mastering the mechanics of Muay Thai is difficult however. Just watch guys in MMA that are touted for their Muay Thai and compare their technique to actual Nakmuay and the difference is very apparent.

In my experience, the beauty of Muay Thai is a relatively small amount of techniques with almost infinite application. You have the benefit of the old cliche about one kick 10,000 times, for example, yet can always discover new ways to time or set that kick up. I've met people who have trained for years and had still never heard of tracking their standing foot when push kicking, for example. When I told/showed them it was a whole new application of an old thing. When I was training regularly you'd get some guy come in from another gym or overseas or something and show you a new way of looking at shit you'd never thought of either, and it's always going to keep happening.

I find in BJJ there's just so much to learn and cover that's what slows that learning curve down. YMMV.

As for how fast one can learn, compare that in BJJ four years is barely grasping the basics but after four years of MT I was pretty well versed for an amateur fighter. Also the fact that if you are serious, you can expect to be ready for a novice bout in 3 months of walking in the door compared to entering white belt division in a BJJ comp after 3 months where you'd likely be walked all over.

Try avoid too much of Modified Thai Rules in the long run though, no elbows/spinning back fists = no fun.

This, TS, you stated you took a watered down kickboxing class, avoid watered down anything. You might find it being hard to find real Muay Thai depending on where you live. Real Muay Thai is intricate as can be when it comes to the variety and vastness of possibilities within the clinch game, even focusing on entries and exits alone, so imagine exchanges between two true masters. Watered down Muay Thai is easy as fuck to get ahold of, and sparring your fellow shmucks sure will make you feel all gym hero, but the real deal is what will actually pay off for days on end. You'll be able to teach your kids that shit for free and if you're a decent teacher, no one will give them trouble. Real Thai style gyms let you decide how the sparring goes, and let you spar whenever it's gym time instead of running/jogging time. If you want knees and elbows, as well as no limits clinching, you'll get that. Also, don't ask for that with the wrong people, spar your fellow beginners.

Judging by your username I assume you train in or are a fan of ashihara, a style which I am defending in this thread yet you are on their side? Despite what you guys say, I am not a troll, I'm just giving my opinion like everybody else.

You know nothing of Muay Thai, stick to the kick boxing side of this sub-forum. Nothings wrong with not talking about that which you know nothing of.

Kudo is fun, that doesn't mean Kudo is MMA done right.

Also, there's a lot more going for the technique of proper Muay Thai, scientifically speaking, as in with empirical evidence..than there is for arts that love flick &/or chambered kicks.

Kudo is fun, that doesn't mean Kudo is MMA done right.

Are you aware that Kudo is older than the UFC and just about all of the other mma organizations in existence? It is an original "mixed martial art" before mixed martial arts came in vogue.

I would say that BJJ just has way more individual techniques to learn, and they all get chained together in multiple ways so ya Id agree the overall style is more complex in that regard.

Mastering the mechanics of Muay Thai is difficult however. Just watch guys in MMA that are touted for their Muay Thai and compare their technique to actual Nakmuay and the difference is very apparent.

BJJ has an inherent intricacy in it's techniques that MT simply does not have. I personally think BJJ is a higher level chess game than MT.

It took me a few months to get the mechanics of MT down pat. The difficult part for me now is employing those techniques and keeping their proper form while sparring against people who are trying to knock my block off. Those who are able to do so are the people I'd say are on the road towards mastery of MT. That as well as being able to impose their strategy against someone who too has a strategy that he is trying to implement.

I guess I should add this to the conversation; I do believe that the basics of MT techniques are easier to learn than BJJ and most other grappling arts. And I am confident that a person who has learned the proper mechanics of MT techniques and can execute them with speed and power will beat the snot out of any wannabe thug or bar brawler even if he's not on Yodslankai Fairtex level with his MT game.

Are you aware that Kudo is older than the UFC and just about all of the other mma organizations in existence? It is an original "mixed martial art" before mixed martial arts came in vogue.

Yes. If you want to go further back, Pankration is there too, predating Kudo, needless to say.

A lot of TMAs, HMAs, and even MMA, experience watering down btw, Judo was MMA before it largely took away strikes and jitz. Some especially crazy mofos think that limitation of ground strikes are watering MMA down.

My point was there's seperate stuff out there for people with the same interest. & that comment you quoted was mostly to tell him to stfu, I love Kudo and wasn't dissing it. I love MMA, and the training it involves, I don't love hitting people in the face, so I wish there was more of a Kudo scene where I'm at.

Yes. If you want to go further back, Pankration is there too, predating Kudo, needless to say.

A lot of TMAs, HMAs, and even MMA, experience watering down btw, Judo was MMA before it largely took away strikes and jitz. Some especially crazy mofos think that limitation of ground strikes are watering MMA down.

My point was there's seperate stuff out there for people with the same interest. & that comment you quoted was mostly to tell him to stfu, I love Kudo and wasn't dissing it. I love MMA, and the training it involves, I don't love hitting people in the face, so I wish there was more of a Kudo scene where I'm at.

Give it some time; Kudo will eventually be more popular worldwide than it is now. I think many people are attracted to the idea of training in a sport that is basically mma ready while still having the trappings of a TMA.

In a few months I plan to travel to Colorado and New York to start my Kudo training. I wanted to get my Ashihara Karate and Muay Thai training under my belt first. And I also took Judo for one year and BJJ for a couple of months (I preferred Judo over BJJ).

I am confident that a person who has learned the proper mechanics of MT techniques and can execute them with speed and power will beat the snot out of any wannabe thug or bar brawler even if he's not on Yodslankai Fairtex level with his MT game.
I can certainly agree with that.

Give it some time; Kudo will eventually be more popular worldwide than it is now. I think many people are attracted to the idea of training in a sport that is basically mma ready while still having the trappings of a TMA.

In a few months I plan to travel to Colorado and New York to start my Kudo training. I wanted to get my Ashihara Karate and Muay Thai training under my belt first. And I also took Judo for one year and BJJ for a couple of months (I preferred Judo over BJJ).

I would be even happier than I am now (which is very!) if Kudo were to become popular worldwide, or atleast more popular. If Kudo was an option for me, or when it becomes one, I think I'd focus on that professionally instead of MMA. I love MMA though, maybe I'd do both, haha. :D

I'd recommend No-Gi JJ, that's how I fell in love with grappling and got so damn good at it in such a short amount of time, but you're a Kudo man, so maybe just find a better gym. It does makes sense that you prefer Judo though, and maybe because of that preference you'd flourish better with a Judo focus first, like I did with my NoGi jitz. Regardless, good luck, and with the love you have for it, I know you'll succeed, brother, especially with the powerful base(s) you have. :)

Also, I wholeheartedly agree that any MTer, does not need to be Yod to beat up any wannabee thug , bar brawler, &/or street tough. Muay Thai imo is atleast top 3 strongest stand up art, if not the most versatile, considering it isn't just striking, it has stand up grappling, with a surprising multitude of takedowns.

This thread reminds of the TUF episode where GSP brings his alcoholic white MT guy in from Thailand and tells everyone to be careful and very respectful. That guys was an out of shape looking slob who just tossed all the fighters around with a real grace.

I would be even happier than I am now (which is very!) if Kudo were to become popular worldwide, or atleast more popular. If Kudo was an option for me, or when it becomes one, I think I'd focus on that professionally instead of MMA. I love MMA though, maybe I'd do both, haha. :D

I'd recommend No-Gi JJ, that's how I fell in love with grappling and got so damn good at it in such a short amount of time, but you're a Kudo man, so maybe just find a better gym. It does makes sense that you prefer Judo though, and maybe because of that preference you'd flourish better with a Judo focus first, like I did with my NoGi jitz. Regardless, good luck, and with the love you have for it, I know you'll succeed, brother, especially with the powerful base(s) you have. :)

Also, I wholeheartedly agree that any MTer, does not need to be Yod to beat up any wannabee thug , bar brawler, &/or street tough. Muay Thai imo is atleast top 3 strongest stand up art, if not the most versatile, considering it isn't just striking, it has stand up grappling, with a surprising multitude of takedowns.

Thanks for that uplifting post James L. I'm looking forward to seeing you kick some ass in the cage in the future.

rock-lee-naruto.jpg

Thanks for that uplifting post James L. I'm looking forward to seeing you kick some ass in the cage in the future.

rock-lee-naruto.jpg

Thanks bro, I will definitely make sure you see the vids I'll post of my fights, and if you're interested, instructionals and etc. relating to MMA and TMAs. My Dad and I love Naruto, lol, especially Rock Lee and Might Guy, that's funny man. Have a good day.

Back