Is muay thai as complex and as hard to learn as BJJ?

Being hard is a huge factor in Muay Thai.

You can go much further in BJJ being only semi hard.

If you are not prepared to clash shins then it won't matter how technical you are.

That said I've trained both and I'd say they are equally complicated.

How is that any sort of argument? Which K1 fighters were thai fighters? Stan Longindis got trashed by Andy Hug, the dutch style was based on kyokushin, the arguable GOAT Semmy Schilt's background was a kyokushin offshoot. K1 Max doesn't count.

who gives a shit about K1? the OP was asking about Muay Thai and you went and brought up Kyokushin.

The fact that you admitted in another thread that you have no formal kickboxing training disqualifies you from making the assessments you're making. Any fighter or practitioner who has trained in both styles can tell you how effective Thai kicking is.

most likely because he's trolling?

yet 90% of MMA fighters that do Muay Thai 3-5 times a week can't throw a leg kick properly.

that is exactly the point.

i remember first time did striking, after my first 5 lesson i already learn and remember all the basic combination that was thought in that gym.

while when i first learn grappling technique, i struggle to remember how to do them for a week.

MT and striking is more muscle memory than brain memory, its almost like your muscle have to remember how to do them properly, that is why its hard to change if you already used to a technique in one way.

its super easy to learn basic MT combo in your brain, while grappling such as BJJ, its really hard to remember how to do the basic.

btw this is all are IMO, based on my own experience.

that is exactly the point.

i remember first time did striking, after my first 5 lesson i already learn and remember all the basic combination that was thought in that gym.

while when i first learn grappling technique, i struggle to remember how to do them for a week.

MT and striking is more muscle memory than brain memory, its almost like your muscle have to remember how to do them properly, that is why its hard to change if you already used to a technique in one way.

its super easy to learn basic MT combo in your brain, while grappling such as BJJ, its really hard to remember how to do the basic.

btw this is all are IMO, based on my own experience.

How'd you perform those same basic combinations when there was someone actually in front of you hitting back?

I'm willing to bet those very same MMA fighters look great hitting pads.

Sparring a lot.

I wasn't disagreeing with what he said. Simply adding that learning technique is different than its application. Which is likely the reason the same said MMA fighters can't throw a proper leg kick.

I wasn't disagreeing with what he said. Simply adding that learning technique is different than its application. Which is likely the reason the same said MMA fighters can't throw a proper leg kick.

And I would add is also the reason that the MECHANICS of muay Thai techniques are quite easy to learn but really difficult to master or gain expertise with them.

Instead of whining to the mods how about you provide a counter argument on how I'm wrong?

here's one for you: Kyokoshin champion Davit Kiria got kicked to bits by Sitthichai then folded in half

i appreciate that you're only trolling anyway, i just wanted to point that out.

How'd you perform those same basic combinations when there was someone actually in front of you hitting back?

I'm willing to bet those very same MMA fighters look great hitting pads.

exactly my point.

its hard because striking martial art, a lot of them relied on muscle memory.

but the basic is easy to learn, that is why there is a lot of cardio Kickboxing and boxing classes, because it easy to learn their basics and turn them into a exercise.

Dude, have you ever seen the technique in those classes?

Maybe it's easy to learn how to lift your leg. Learning how to kick properly takes years.

Muay Thai fighters can't kick properly to begin with, Muay Thai round kick is slower, less acurate, and less powerful than a correctly performed round kick from Kyokushin karate.
Teeps are uselss too, if you are going to throw a teep you might as well throw an actual front kick.

In another thread you were calling Dutch pigs and now you're praising the kyokushin karate kick which Dutch people have a long history doing.

Dude, have you ever seen the technique in those classes?

Maybe it's easy to learn how to lift your leg. Learning how to kick properly takes years.
Ya seriously. I've never seen a lady in cardio Kickboxing throw a Muay Thai round kick. Flicking your leg in the air doesn't count. It's like grabbing someone by the arm and calling it an arm bar...

Muay Thai fighters can't kick properly to begin with, Muay Thai round kick is slower, less acurate, and less powerful than a correctly performed round kick from Kyokushin karate.
Teeps are uselss too, if you are going to throw a teep you might as well throw an actual front kick.

You have most probably never been hit with

This is a good and informative thread. Please don't ruin it by feeding trolls.

Judging by your username I assume you train in or are a fan of ashihara, a style which I am defending in this thread yet you are on their side? Despite what you guys say, I am not a troll, I'm just giving my opinion like everybody else.

Depends entirely on the individual.

Back