Is modern human civilization primed to become "Lost"?

They could find text books. They could look at buildings and at least know they are possible to build. And if you're talking ten to twenty years after a disaster there would still be survivors who grew up with knowledge of math and science. But ya a lot of information would be lost if computer records were wiped out.

in reference to that, i was considering data and information storage methods ten to twenty years from the present time, not from the point of a theoretical cataclysm. but you make a good point. i have considerable knowledge of math and science, but there is no way in hell i could plan or oversee the manufacture and construction a modern building, or a cell phone for instance.

People worry about the information being lost with digital data being destroyed. But without being able to store information digitally, a lot of that info never would have been made in the first place. Being able to store information digitally has allowed mankind to double its overall accumulated knowledge many times over. So it's really not a bad thing. And most books are only going to last a few hundred years anyway.

this is an excellent point. but, i was speculating and theorizing about a potential time in the not so distant future where mankind moves even further away from traditional methods of physical information and data storage. we are already this reliant, what will thing be like a few short decades from now?

Unknown ancient civilizations probably did the same thing with their information and records. I imagine they somehow used crystal as their medium, as opposed to the digitial medium we use today. Old crystals probably contain tons of human history and records/knowledge, but we have no idea whatsoever how to access that information today.

But for real, this has bothered me before, TS. I understand going paperless and all that, but for God's sake people, we must keep some physical, tangible records as well. Libraries must stay open. People must write journals with an actual pen. People must print out or develop actual photographs.

If our power grid goes down in the future, SO MUCH information would be lost. It is so very, very obviously stupid to put EVERYTHING on digital media. It's so stupid it actually pisses me off to think about it. But here we are, quickly converting everything to digital, non-physical formats. It is ridiculous. Has the library at Alexandria taught us nothing?

this is pretty much the angle i was approaching in the op - without trying to sound like im totally going off the deep end.

if parts of past human civilization and advancement have become "lost" (and there are quite a few that subscribe to that possibility), i think it would be reasonable to conclude that the major contributing factor would be lack of surviving physical records and or technology. if so, could it have been an issue of how the data was stored?

i also think that it is reasonable to conclude that any survivors of something cataclysmic on a global scale would primarily have to concern themselves with finding shelter and food. especially if there was an extremely low percentage of remaining individuals that were isolated from each other. who is to say how long it would take to recover past just that point of mere survival?

has anyone here really sat down and thought what they would do if they couldn't just go down to the market and purchase what you need to eat? i mean REALLY thought about it? it is my understanding that most major metropolitan areas only have enough food supply on hand to last 72 hours without additional shipments. i don't find that all that hard to believe after having lived the majority of my life in a region that endured hard winters. as anyone who has shared my experience can attest, try going to the store 12 or 24 hours after the forecast of an approaching winter storm and see what you find.

im not really talking zombie apocalypse here, or an asteroid strike or anything over the top hollywood like those scenarios. what about something simple and not entirely unlikely like a virulent outbreak, or even a colossal mass solar ejection?

for example, try to imagine the chaos and pandemonium that would ensue if the global power grid was down indefinitely, not to mention all of the satellite technology. it would stand to reason that most if not all digital data would be compromised as well.

Last edited:
If you really can't remember Demolition Man then all hope really is lost.

i think for the most part we already lost everything, we are living from whats left, leftovers from when the world had any soul

I agree with this, for the most part...

This happened 12900 years ago and 4800 years ago...when records are lost we go back to square one.

Was talking about this recently as well. With so much of our info stored in the clouds, if anything serious happened, a massive amount of our knowledge would be easily lost.

Was talking about this recently as well. With so much of our info stored in the clouds, if anything serious happened, a massive amount of our knowledge would be easily lost.

It won't even take an impact event...if a significant solar flare happens everything that is on at the time will be fried. Our grid is very fragile but companies and the government are too shortsighted to retrofit it to withstand overload properly.

It won't even take an impact event...if a significant solar flare happens everything that is on at the time will be fried. Our grid is very fragile but companies and the government are too shortsighted to retrofit it to withstand overload properly.

That, or just serious social unrest can wreck our grid, and bring down a lot.

Getting tech as advanced as ours, takes quite a bit of building upon existing techs. We are now so advanced that no one can build a machine/device from scratch. That said, if you look at the 190's invasion of Korea, the Japanese wrecked or took all the skilled craftsmen, and the Koreans took generations to replace them. We could easily have the same thing happen, esp seeing how fragile our tech is

i saw something like that in the original Rollerball movie it had a little scene where Jonathan goes to the library to get some books because he wanted to know how the world worked, how everything runs but he gets there and finds out everything is stored into "super" computers, and then he goes to talk with the scientist that knows how to work that intelligent computer, turns out getting any information out is so complicated not alot people can do it, and even with all the AI and super computer tech it still has errors and glitches, just like in the movie it malfunctions and erases everything about the third century and the guy goes, "well its gone forever"

Civilization and it's advancement are reliant on accumulated knowledge over many generations...we are not where we are in the stratus of life solely because of our brain power. Our prowess is more due to our unique ability to pass things on. When a highly intelligent animal such as the octopus gives birth it shortly thereafter dies. This means there is no passing of information...all start as children and learn on there own. If a significant enough event occurs that's leads to the destruction of or even clouds the knowledge base we have accumulated over countless generations we will have to start again...like children...as has been stated many times in ancient texts from all over the world that describe previous catastrophes that set civilization back to square one

Eventually humanity will revert to the Stone Age. All our current knowledge and civilisation will be lost, though stumble into some French caves and there should still be some art.

The U.S government has realised this though, they have made a salt mine into a giant time capsule. No matter what happens you'll be able to see the original oceans 11 once you gain access to the facility. So you can imagine the breadth of stuff they're storing in there....

(Cosmos went over this recently).

And of course companies and governments won't take the time/spend the money to properly protect the majority of the grid....just like how back in the 70's people were in an absolute uproar over the govt building nuclear reactors...well all it takes is a quick read about Fukishima to realize that the people that were protesting back then, were absolutely right.

human nature favors a tendency towards being reactive over being proactive. the damage and devastation sustained from hurricane katrina is a classic example.

In New Orleans, the levees were designed for Category 3, but Katrina peaked at a Category 5 hurricane, with winds up to 175 mph.

11 Facts About Hurricane Katrina

Eventually humanity will revert to the Stone Age. All our current knowledge and civilisation will be lost, though stumble into some French caves and there should still be some art.

The U.S government has realised this though, they have made a salt mine into a giant time capsule. No matter what happens you'll be able to see the original oceans 11 once you gain access to the facility. So you can imagine the breadth of stuff they're storing in there....

(Cosmos went over this recently).

not sure if serious.

Yes. It's happened before and it will happen again. It would seem to be an inevitability at this point.

In all actuality, in many ways, we're already "lost"...

Yes. It's happened before and it will happen again. It would seem to be an inevitability at this point.

In all actuality, in many ways, we're already "lost"...

if you believe that it has happened again, in your opinion what was the how likely was it that the "lost" civilizations were as advanced or more advanced than we are currently?

personally i think it is more likely than unlikely that they were.

i joke with friends and family that the reason time travelers haven't visited us from the future is because we kill ourselves off, or face and extinction event before we get far enough advanced to figure out how to do it.

im only half joking.

There is a natural database that keeps track of everything so all your favorite youtube videos will be there when you travel back in time or just want to peer into the history of our kind. Not much to look at the moment but hey..........................excellence takes time. :icon_lol:

if you believe that it has happened again, in your opinion what was the how likely was it that the "lost" civilizations were as advanced or more advanced than we are currently?

personally i think it is more likely than unlikely that they were.

i joke with friends and family that the reason time travelers haven't visited us from the future is because we kill ourselves off, or face and extinction event before we get far enough advanced to figure out how to do it.

im only half joking.

As advanced or more, is my current belief; certainly not any less advanced. Different though, of course.

It really doesn't take much research to figure out that the ancients were on our level, if not passed it.

Just remember, nothing that rusts sticks around for long. There could have been entire cities, comparable to today's, standing where now there is nothing.

Yup...I'm so dependent on Google Maps it's not even funny...without Google Maps and GPS navigation I would have cancelled on the last 27 social outings and social events I was invited to.

Back