Is modern human civilization primed to become "Lost"?

Chaos Spawn

Kuiper belt
@Black
Reaction score
with increasing reliance & dependence on digital media as an information and knowledge storage vessel, is mankind risking losing it all in the event of a global catastrophe?

would there be enough discernible records for the potential survivors, or would the majority of modern technology and knowledge be wiped away and need to be re-discovered in the distant future if at all?

if not now, what about ten, or even twenty years from now? will there be any physical media/records/texts left by then? what would the survivors have to build on if everything goes digital or into an even more concise non-physical archive system and is wiped away?

i think for the most part we already lost everything, we are living from whats left, leftovers from when the world had any soul

with increasing reliance & dependence on digital media as an information and knowledge storage vessel, is mankind risking losing it all in the event of a global catastrophe?

would there be enough discernible records for the potential survivors, or would the majority of modern technology and knowledge be wiped away and need to be re-discovered in the distant future if at all?

if not now, what about ten, or even twenty years from now? will there be any physical media/records/texts left by then? what would the survivors have to build on if everything goes digital or into an even more concise non-physical archive system and is wiped away?

Yes, books will exist in 20 years.

fires and shit wiped out a lot of ancient knowledge. I think our technology is better suited.

The information will survive in digital form, but how many millennia must pass until it can be accessed again?

Assuming some kind of apocalyptic event occurs.

wow. don't everybody answer at once.

it's official, im the p4p worst ts on sherdog. :D

I'm sure that in the event of a large scale catastrophe some militia will re-write history and condition those who serve to believe what was written is now religion. Or has this already happened?

I'm sure that in the event of a large scale catastrophe some militia will re-write history and condition those who serve to believe what was written is now religion. Or has this already happened?

We all think pretty highly of Athens. It's almost as if one of the great conquerors of human history thought highly of them.

Exactly, Merlotte knows what is happening.

Aristotle and Alexander were brothers in several ways.

Well, presumably once computers become smarter than humans, this problem will be less pronounced since as long as one computer is accessible, it can explain everything else to us dummies.

We'll go to the wise one and it will choose the perfect youtube instructional for our current problem and play it for us.

Imagine, you're in a post apocalyptic wasteland, trying to find out how to divine for water and hunt for grubs, and this piece of shit starts playing a KFC commercial for you, one of those 30 second without skipping ones. Goddamit.

Oh fuck, imagine if all of our sherdog posts got wiped :icon_cry2

If my sherdog posts and internet work got wiped, I'd probably be in a better position. I'm barely reliant on any social media and I only just got another cell.

Imagine, you're in a post apocalyptic wasteland, trying to find out how to divine for water and hunt for grubs, and this piece of shit starts playing a KFC commercial for you, one of those 30 second without skipping ones. Goddamit.

Then, after the ad, you'll probably get a message saying "Sorry, this video is not available in your region."

thumb.png

They could find text books. They could look at buildings and at least know they are possible to build. And if you're talking ten to twenty years after a disaster there would still be survivors who grew up with knowledge of math and science. But ya a lot of information would be lost if computer records were wiped out.

People worry about the information being lost with digital data being destroyed. But without being able to store information digitally, a lot of that info never would have been made in the first place. Being able to store information digitally has allowed mankind to double its overall accumulated knowledge many times over. So it's really not a bad thing. And most books are only going to last a few hundred years anyway.

Last edited:

Damn it, I wish I could remember what movie this was. Post apocalyptic utopia where all pop music was old advertising jingles and all restaurants were Taco Bell.

Damn it, I wish I could remember what movie this was. Post apocalyptic utopia where all pop music was old advertising jingles and all restaurants were Taco Bell.

You can take that movie and you can shovel it.

Demolition Man?

Unknown ancient civilizations probably did the same thing with their information and records. I imagine they somehow used crystal as their medium, as opposed to the digitial medium we use today. Old crystals probably contain tons of human history and records/knowledge, but we have no idea whatsoever how to access that information today.

But for real, this has bothered me before, TS. I understand going paperless and all that, but for God's sake people, we must keep some physical, tangible records as well. Libraries must stay open. People must write journals with an actual pen. People must print out or develop actual photographs.

If our power grid goes down in the future, SO MUCH information would be lost. It is so very, very obviously stupid to put EVERYTHING on digital media. It's so stupid it actually pisses me off to think about it. But here we are, quickly converting everything to digital, non-physical formats. It is ridiculous. Has the library at Alexandria taught us nothing?

Came to post this. Yes, that's why I don't use Smart phone, social media sites, Credit Cards, Paypals. I pay only cash, only call not text. It's getting more and more difficult and inconvenience but I still get life going. I laugh at people that go bananas if they misplace their wallet/phone for even half a day.

The everything in one card will bound to have problems sooner or later. The implanted chips under skin that is considered now is also rubbish. Any digital thing is hackable. No amount of protection or law can prevent that.

Back