Is MMA one of the most popular sports in USA?

But they only watch women's soccer for 3 weeks every 4 years. And a handful of events around the country.

Same with Olympics. Horse racing is one hour, 3x every spring/summer (Derby, Downs and Preakness).

All of those examples strengthen my earlier point that depending on how you define the minutia of the question changes the answer. And IMO, watching womens world cup every 4 years makes women's soccer less popular than MMA, even if everyone has heard of Hope Solo. But that's just me :)

You have an excellent point about it depending upon how the question is defined. For instance, if 'popular' includes people participating or watching a sport regularly (which is arguably the most reasonable definition of popular -- actually doing a sport is a better test for interest than just watching it), then I'd put soccer a long way ahead of MMA because of how many kids play soccer in America.

Golf too becomes far more popular under that definition, and probably long distance running given how many people jog.

In fact I'm probably going to have to revise my list of the most popular sports in America, given that the number watching or playing basketball is probably the highest, then baseball, then soccer, then golf and long distance running, then football followed by hockey.

Its actually kind of weird that I automatically assumed popular just meant watching a sport ... sport is all about being active but I immediately thought about sitting on my butt and watching it.

You have an excellent point about it depending upon how the question is defined. For instance, if 'popular' includes people participating or watching a sport regularly (which is arguably the most reasonable definition of popular -- actually doing a sport is a better test for interest than just watching it), then I'd put soccer a long way ahead of MMA because of how many kids play soccer in America.

Golf too becomes far more popular under that definition, and probably long distance running given how many people jog.

In fact I'm probably going to have to revise my list of the most popular sports in America, given that the number watching or playing basketball is probably the highest, then baseball, then soccer, then golf and long distance running, then football followed by hockey.

Its actually kind of weird that I automatically assumed popular just meant watching a sport ... sport is all about being active but I immediately thought about sitting on my butt and watching it.
Ya. Like most questions on these boards, how one defines the question is the most important part of how one arrives at the answer :)

Soccer is the most played sport by American kids. No one thinks it's the most 'popular'.

Answering this is half art, half science and hugely subjective. I still put MMA at 8, 9 or 10.

I liked your thought process on that post. Cheers.

Last edited:
LMAO not even close

Even boxing is more popular
This one is a hard one to answer generally. I kinda want to say regional appeal.

What true is that MMA fans are MMA fans. There's a decided interest in this sport. Spotty compared to the big leagues, yet well established.<LucyBless>

Behind basketball, football, baseball, hockey, boxing, and even fucking golf?

Maybe.

It’s behind basketball, football, and soccer. Definitely ahead of baseball , I have never met a single person who watches baseball in my entire life but know thousands of MMA fans
The Yankees organization alone with more than Bellator and UFC combine

True for guys, but not for market.
Translations rights fees paid by TVs and other media, all this advertisements market with huge ammount of finances.
Sports betting also is large international business, also helps to advertise and their portals serves as place for another advertisements.
Tickets, journalists, all these teams with their support teams. Sportsmans also not rarely makes income from advertising industry, promotes sports brands etc. All these places in portals, newspapers also makes income from sport events.
NBA and NHL are internationally known more than 25 years and bettings on their games were offered in europe at least l 25 years ago. When majority of betting services clients didn't even knew about MMA existence.

MMA will never have the mainstream appeal other sports have, the reason for that is pretty obvious - it's way too brutal.
My grandma doesn't mind watching a soccer game, but she'd probably pass out if she saw Jon Jones beating people into pulps.

lol wtf I have a hard time believing that many people watch fucking figure skating. Do they masturbate to it or what is it?
sport-popularity.jpg

Figure skating is the most popular winter Olympic event by a wide margin. Anyone who medals in it is basically set for life with endorsements.

The Yankees organization alone with more than Bellator and UFC combine
No.

Forbes has Yankees less than UFC

Bellator and UFC combined are probably like 5bil

But is Conor also below the horses?
Horses Like American Pharoah & Tapit Have Stud Fees That Top $300,000
According to The New York Times, American Pharoah’s stud fees started at $200,000 before the pricing became private. Tapit demands $300,000 thanks to his breeding history despite not having nearly the same racing accomplishments as a horse like American Pharoah.

“A horse like American Pharoah may breed four times a day,” Sunnyfield Farm manager John Grau told The New York Times. “Some of those top stallions can breed over 200 mares in a season and then go to the Southern Hemisphere and breed again.”​

Considering their sperm is worth more than his most expensive car, I'd say yeah.

Horses Like American Pharoah & Tapit Have Stud Fees That Top $300,000
According to The New York Times, American Pharoah’s stud fees started at $200,000 before the pricing became private. Tapit demands $300,000 thanks to his breeding history despite not having nearly the same racing accomplishments as a horse like American Pharoah.

“A horse like American Pharoah may breed four times a day,” Sunnyfield Farm manager John Grau told The New York Times. “Some of those top stallions can breed over 200 mares in a season and then go to the Southern Hemisphere and breed again.”​

Considering their sperm is worth more than his most expensive car, I'd say yeah.
I wana be a horse now

Americans love boring shit like baseball and NASCAR.

Yes... Fucking NASCAR
{<jordan}

Back