Is MMA in a way a team sport now?

Eddieg

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I mean this in the sense that 'fight camps' have emerged, where it is very common that members of the same camp will not fight each other.

There are instances of people diversifying their training at different camps for a single fight, but in general is MMA close to being a team oriented sport?

It has always been like this. Oleg Taktarov.

San Jose Razorclaws Foe Life!!!!!

Yes of course it is. In fact, there are no differences. MMA is now EXACTLY like team sports.

Heard they're even gonna wear uniforms and toss some ball around. In a way

Camps have been around since the start.

Yep, the Lions Den goes way back to I reckon about UFC 10 or so, maybe earlier. I wonder if a card could be done with say Black House versus AKA or something, might be a cool idea.

Fight Camps have been around since the beginning: Gracie Camp, Lion's Den, Team Punishment, Militech Camp, Team Quest, Team Ruas, The Pit, The Alliance w/ F. Shamrock, TK, & Maurice Smith, AKA, etc. They just haven't been as vocal as they are now (well, maybe except for Tito & Team Punishment).

Yep, the Lions Den goes way back to I reckon about UFC 10 or so, maybe earlier. I wonder if a card could be done with say Black House versus AKA or something, might be a cool idea.

UFC 1. The Gracie's were quite unified since the early days.

Chute Boxe, Brazilian Top Team, and Red Devil Fight Team were around back then too.

Why's everyone got to shit on the OP? It's a legitimate question, it's definitely becoming more of a team thing IMO. With a lot of fighters refusing to fight their teammates, and the Diaz bros. repping "Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu" and all that nonsense.

Why's everyone got to shit on the OP? It's a legitimate question, it's definitely becoming more of a team thing IMO. With a lot of fighters refusing to fight their teammates, and the Diaz bros. repping "Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu" and all that nonsense.

Well, there are no stupid questions unless you ask them on Sherdog. The audience will let you know how stupid the question is in short order.

They should introduce tag teaming. If they are getting gnp they can wiggle to the cage and poke out a thumb through the fence and tap in their partner...

Nope, MMA is not a team sport... In fact, the whole point is mono-a-mano individuals being locked in a cage and fighting it out.

Oh, and don't get this thread deleted. I've been a white belt then yellow belt then white belt again like 5 times!

Their not. The team element has always been there.

It's becoming a bit too team oriented now. It almost seems like you won't be able to get into MMA anymore unless you're part of one of the camps favored by UFC.

No. Fighters win or lose based on their individual effort. Training is a group effort, but it does not make MMA a team sport. Team sports require athletes to coordinate their efforts as a team to beat another coordinated team. Very, very different from merely training together.

That being said, team fights in twos or fours would be awesome.

Back