Is MMA going Back in time?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by mr107, Jan 21, 2015.

1. mr107

mr107 White Belt

I came across this early where the author looks at MMA going back in time

http://www.kingdommma.co.uk/2015/01/thy-kingdom-come-4-back-to-future-for.html

got me wondering if its a good think or a bad thing that guys like cro cop, kimbo, jackson, tito are resurfacing on the big stage. On one hand I think it bring in viewers and I guess that keep MMA reaching the masses but on the other hand does it stop up and coming fighters making it big?

What are your thoughts on this?

2. GloutonSang

GloutonSang Brown Belt

The MMA bubble has burst and it's on its way to becoming a niche sport. The promoters are trying to reclaim fans by dusting off familiar names.

3. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

no offense to the ufc hw division, but i don't see to many up and comers. Same with lhw in the ufc.

4. JonesBones

JonesBones Excuse my contraflow

They're trying to squeeze every last dollar out of the sport while they can. I have been saying for a while that it is a short term strategy for somebody knowing the end is near. They realized the future actually is now. They aged quickly, or died young. It is a philosophical question I guess. They tried to grow up too fast, and it killed them.

5. Buju Banton

Buju Banton Orange Belt

I think the ufc are just trying to crush the smaller orgs by signing the big names, regardless of whether they are going to be competitive, rampage, crocop etc.

Tito will be the next name.

Im all for it cos there is still interesting fights to be had between the lower tier fighters.

Also i feel the ufc realise that talent isnt necessarily what sells fights. In some ways its a disaster for weidman to be champ cos he lacks character and charisma compared to a champ like silva. Also the heavy promotion and fast tracking of conor and bringing in cm punk pretty much proves it. In an ideal world They want charismatic recognisable characters for champs. Honestly weidman as an example is quite dull even though hes a great fighter.

Lets face it, the rampages, wanderleis, titos, shoguns, cro cops etc are a lot more interesting than a lot of the more talented fighters on the roster.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  6. GloutonSang

GloutonSang Brown Belt

The Sword of Truth lost me when the political commentary completely smothered the storytelling. See: Richard slicing an unarmed war protestor in half, or Zedd telling a man who has just lost his wife that he should go to work because "providing a needed service will make you feel better." :icon_chee

7. Buju Banton

Buju Banton Orange Belt

It's always going to be a relatively niche sport because 'Cage fighting' is perceived as barbaric.

Plus the big paydays are still in boxing so the premier athletes if they know whats good for them will be aiming for that or other sports.

I also don't think the cage helps matters. Put them in a ring and its a martial arts contest. In a cage its a Cockerill fight.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  8. cumafish

cumafish Silver Belt

[​IMG]

9. Gamer2k4

Gamer2k4 Brown Belt

Character and charisma? Silva's popularity comes from the fact that every one of his fights looks like a scene from The Matrix. As far as personalities go, his certainly isn't particularly compelling.

10. TUFNOOB05

TUFNOOB05 Blue Belt

Did it stop Mcgregor?rhe best will always get through

11. aModerateThreat

aModerateThreat Brown Belt

just trying to squeeze every drop out of the dinosaurs before they keel over

12. Buju Banton

Buju Banton Orange Belt

True, i probably should have gone into more detail and broken it down more.

Basically though hes a whole lot more interesting and marketable than weidman

13. JWtheKarateKid

JWtheKarateKid Orange Belt

mcgregory ain't nothing and he's going to get smashed by aldo

14. UL

UL no more yellows Double Yellow Card

No

the ufc is just trying not to die

15. Hiei69

Hiei69 Blue Belt

Yeah I didn't need an entire fantasy novel to tell me communism doesn't work as advertised. The shattered statue symbolism was ham fisted.

Back on topic, it's not the UFC is dying or MMA is weakening its hold, but for a long while its growth was massive and so was the profit margin. Likely what both the UFC and Bellator are trying to do is recapture that massive growth and build new stories by associating old fame with new faces.

Personally I'm cool with every fight being something akin to Weidman vs Machida, the best fighters face each other like professional martial artists, push each other hard, and walk away with respect.