1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Is MMA a legitimate sport at all? (PED cheats, Rankings)

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Daelh, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Daelh Blue Belt

So this is my first thread on sherdog. I love MMA and I watch it every week, but sometimes I wonder how legitimate of a sport MMA really is?

People taking performance enhancing drugs are regularly put in the hall of fame discussions, fight for title belts and put on a piedestal.

UFC regularly strong arm fighters legitimate fighters with good records for money or lack of fame to put forward company guys or "movie stars" in big fights. There is no universal rankings that determine matchups and the rankings are based of opinions rather than merit.

No tournaments is used to determine the best and matchups that will sell PPV numbers are the matchups that will be scheduled. Guys can go years with impressive winning streaks in the UFC against legit guys without ever getting a shot because they dont talk trash in the media. Then guys with a win or two get hyped up because of their media attraction in front of guys who's been there for years and has much more impressive resumes.

Im just... starting to get tired of the UFC for ignoring legitimate guys for people who will sell PPVs and shit like that. Am I totally alone in this assesment?

2. beephin Red Belt

MMA judging is holding this sport back.

D level athletes with F level judging

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    pick999 likes this.
  3. DS66 Brown Belt

First of all, PED's are rampant in all sports. You think for a second that the majority of NFLers and soccer players in the major organizations aren't juicing in some way? Get real. Not to mention MLB has had more PED scandals than the UFC could ever dream of.

With respect to rankings/matchups, it's definitely not 100% legitimate sport. I'll agree with you there. It's sports entertainment, and they have to make matchups that will sell. These are prize fighters. It is what it is.

Mammothman, G10, thebesteva21 and 2 others like this.
  4. welldone i steal avatars

you mean ufc?

5. mmafan559 Black Belt

you play sports
    nobody plays mma
    it's fighting for money

accolyte1022 likes this.
  6. Emjay I'LL BE RIGHT THERE!!! DON'T KILL HIM!!!

Why?

7. Blanqa Blanqua Sherdog God Belt Double Yellow Card

No UFC is not. It is a corrupt and manipulated organised form of human cock fighting masquerading as a sport.

Strijfy and G10 like this.
  8. pick999 Gold Belt

9. Daelh Blue Belt

Why would soccer players juice lol? It has nothing to do with physicality basically. You cant juice technical skills. You think Lionel Messi who is 5'7 is juiced? Lol. How would PED's help him dribble and make accurate shots?

10. Bangkok ready d1 Black Belt

Yes why it would not be? You think cheating only happens in mma? Lol i wish i could be that naive

Kdup likes this.
  11. Dreyga2000 VOTE DREYGA FOR POSTER OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!

MMA is a sport but UFC is entertainment and honestly I prefer it that way

12. DS66 Brown Belt

Are you serious? You don't think it would be an advantage for soccer players to have better cardio? Or stronger legs? Or be able to recover from injuries quicker? Or not decline as quickly as they get older? Have you ever heard of EPO? Come on dude.

[​IMG]

Kdup and Bangkok ready d1 like this.
  13. acannxr Red Belt

You're mixing up MMA and UFC; MMA is a legitimate sport, but the UFC is a company where making a buck is more important than integrity.

14. HunterAcosta Black Belt Platinum Member

It’s a sport but the rankings system isn’t legit . There’s no clear path to the title . Somebody can leap frog over someone else by talking shit on social media . All major sports worldwide have clear path to titles . Even boxing rankings as shady as they are, are still light years ahead of mma rankings . And if you don’t believe this I got two words for you ..JIM MILLER . Dude was on ridiculous winning streak and got screwed over never getting title shot . They would add alot more legitimacy if they had Bellator style tournament system ( not same day ) with like top 8 16 competing with eventual top two meeting for belt . But it will never happen .

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Coconutwater likes this.
  15. SuperNerd Season Mode.

Prize fighting

Belts, rankings, drug testing ect. are gimmicks.

16. Bork Neslar Black Belt

No. It's human cockfighting.

17. usernamee Silver Belt

He clearly has 0 understanding of PEDs

Kdup likes this.
  18. accolyte1022 LONER Belt

Yeah, Robinson Cano (MLB) just got nailed for the next season and ~24 million

Kdup likes this.
  19. FKAri Green Belt

I actually think Dana and co do a good job of keeping it about competition over money as much as they do. That's not to say there aren't cases where it doesn't happen. Guys like MightyMouse, Mousasi etc should be in the UFC making a lot of money. But it is ultimately a business and the money has to come from somewhere. Combat sports historically have always had a problem where fans are more interested in drama than skill. This doesn't happen in the NBA/MLB/etc where all that matters is your ability and not your charisma/style in terms of the money you're making. Sure they won't get much sponsors but the actual sport will pay them what they're worth in ability.

20. Nightwish Brown Belt

Messi wouldnt even have that size if not for HGH. He has a growth hormone disorder.

SuperNerd likes this.