1. Server maintenance is scheduled for today between 11AM and 2PM ET. The site will go down for 15-20 mins. We'll try to get it done before noon.

Is Melvin Manheof the hardest kicker of all time?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by spacetime, Jul 8, 2020.

1. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Physics*

2. II Muchetto II Orange Belt

Punching power or kicking power has nothing to do with gravity. It's more to do with what muscles are engaged while throwing the technique, while making sure the mechanics of the technique thrown are sound in accordance with the person's body type and style of fighting etc.

Eg a TKD guy and a Thai guy both do a roundhouse kick differently, but both generate a tremendous amount of power (unless that tkd guy is you)

I still can't believe you are giving advice on another thread about boxing too a pro fighter. It's hilarious

3. shincheckin Black Belt

I see your thought process and agree, IF..............your flexible enough to do so. Your speaking of kicking downards, to someones head. That would require being able to kick higher than the head, to be able to bring the kick down. Someone not flexible enough to do kick to the head, or barely flexible enough, is going to be kicking up not down.

The TMA guys with their extreme flexibility probably dont have much of a problem with this, but your average person that takes up any one of the kicking sports in their teens or 20s most likely is not going to have that flexibility. Flexibility is key to athleticism and a huge factor in fighting. I wish I was flexible like a TMA guy or JCVD. As than I would be able to kick to the head, just as hard as I can to the leg. I can assure you that I can kick the leg much harder than I can kick the head........I can kick the head strong, just not as strong as to the leg. Long story short, yes its possible to kick high as strong as you can kick low.

Check out this pic of a head kick in a fight to see what I mean.
    [​IMG]

Melvin is a very powerful guy, but I believe strongest kicker of all time has gone to yodsanklai.

4. Strychnine Steel Belt

Don't sleep on Pat Barry.

AtlSteel likes this.
  5. 4daLuLZ Brown Belt

Semmy Schilt is definitely top 5 ever.

Guys fighting him said his kicks felt like a telephone pole battering against them. And the dude had multiple ways of getting it done.

Peter Aerts. Low and high.
    Andy Hug hit seriously hard and with precision.
    Saki, of course.
    Badr Hari. High, mid, low.

I can’t remember others.

6. funktastic White Belt

that video still makes me cry.

7. funktastic White Belt

wow i didnt know pat barry was in kick boxing. i always thought well idk what i thought i dont think of him

8. Strychnine Steel Belt

Bruh! Pat Barry was a MUTHA!

Matter of fact he had an open challenge to anyone. I heard him say on the old MMAscraps podcast (he was a frequent guest), that anyone could come up to him and say "Pat, I want to give you a leg-kick." His only requirement was that you rolled up your pants leg so that he could see that you weren't doing anything shady and you could leg kick him full on.

generalyum likes this.
  9. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Nothing wrong with your posture there. You have a strong core and appropriate lean. The important thing for power as I'm sure you know is to time the twist with the leg thrown. The closer you time those two, the harder you will kick. Otherwise the kick doesn't get the momentum from the twist, it will simply be a turn and then a leg thrown.

shincheckin likes this.
  10. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

What I don't get it why he let Melvin have all that time on the outside the entire fight. If Saku is afraid of knees than clinch... The grappler wins 90% of the time vs a striker or striking based guy, 10% of the time the grappler get's KOed.

11. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Btw, @shincheckin what happened with your start in BJJ? Still doing it up until Corona or did you find it boring as a beginner?

shincheckin likes this.
  12. GordoBarraBJJ Steel Belt

Cro Cop

DoctorTaco likes this.
  13. funktastic White Belt

yeah those are the numbers bro we saw it in the more recent masvidal vs usman where the wrestler controlled the striker

14. funktastic White Belt

jaja thats actually pretty cool bro

Strychnine likes this.
  15. shincheckin Black Belt

I would roll here and there for fun, usually just a bit before I would teach the "MT class" or something like that.....looking back on it now I am a fool because if I wanted to, I could have been a BJJ black belt for free by now, but BJJ never interested me much. Its a great martial art, and extremely effective, just not what I was into.

I find BJJ extremley boring to sit and listen about how to do this, and do that, and move into this position, and twist this that way. The way I prefered to learn in BJJ was just by rolling with much better guys that would take it easy on me and teach me as we were rolling. It was a lot more fun to just roll and learn that way, than in the "classroom"

MixMartialFarts likes this.
  16. SHAOLINMONK420 Blue Belt

manhoef might be the strongest mma kicker in his weight class. i dont know a thing about his weight class in kickboxing. he fought heavyweight in japan dunno what he is doing now

17. JungleKungFu Bullwinkle Belt

He had two bricks for fists as well.