1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Is media bias in the United States pushing you away from left wing politics?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Hatorade, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Hatorade Purple Belt

I will start out by saying that I try to stay as close to the middle with my political views as I can, and would identify as left of center. When it comes to actual policy, I'm pretty left leaning. I'm not religious, and I tend to trust the government far more than the private sector. I care more about the environment than I do about the economy as well. I wouldn't say that I'm anti-capitalist, but I do feel that this country would run better under large sweeping government social policies than it would with private insurance companies and large corporations simply because of how big this country is. I honestly don't agree with the right on a whole lot when it comes to actual policy.

Anyways, where I don't side with the left is more culturally. I absolutely fucking despise PC culture, cancel culture, and the perpetual outrage the left creates over EVERYTHING. I think the wage gap is horseshit. I think white privilege is real, but far overplayed. I think male privilege is a fucking joke. Nobody has it better in this country than a white woman, yet they bitch the most. It's this type of stuff that prevents me from identifying as being liberal, but out of everything that turns me off about the left, media bias is at the very top though. I mean, it's just so blatant and in your face these days, that it's as if they don't even try anymore. Watching most news or TV programs on any major network is like watching some shit from another planet. Sure, the right has Fox, but the left has literally everything else that's mainstream. It's hard to watch some shit that you just saw with your own eyes like buildings on fire and dudes getting stomped out only to have some maggot reporter of journalist describe it as "mostly peaceful." It's hard to read about the threat of "white supremacists" (I've never met one) when black gangs in my own city kill each other practically for sport every weekend, and white liberals cause millions in destruction of property over false claims for entertainment purposes. The spin is just insane these days. Add to this that Internet search engines are just as bad. It's as if when you search for something that the left doesn't want to be acknowledged, Google will correct your thoughts and educate you on how you need to think or what you should believe with articles that will counter what you just searched. It's fucking wild that this isn't talked about more, but most of my left leaning friends have such a righteousness in regards to their politics, that they won't acknowledge any of this. It's really pushing me away from left wing politics, but I feel like there's no other direction to go because the side that I probably identify with more ideologically with all this believes in nonsense as well. It's just a different type of nonsense.

2. bobgeese Steel Belt

The media is cancer to both the real left, and the right.

If you’re not a Neo liberal lining up to give away billions, your voice is not welcome.

3. Falsedawn The Opposition Platinum Member

"Hey guys, I'm left wing, but here's a bunch of right wing talking points."

Ok

4. loyalyolayal Banned Banned

idk about the media but the ones I know shifted slowly when they started having kids/responsibilities.

BoxingFan653 likes this.
  5. Ares Black Yellow Card Yellow Card

The mainstream American media does not have a "left-wing" bias. They are corporate centrists to the core.

6. curryjunkie mixed marital arts...

<PlusJuan>

Cyber99 and Ares Black like this.
  7. MichiganMMA1978 Brown Belt

Omg!! A literal Nazi....
    Sincerely, Democrats

Philo-Publius likes this.
  8. blaseblah Titanium Belt

The media may be socially liberal, but on economics and foreign policy they are center right.

Cyber99, Swoliosis, Patof and 2 others like this.
  9. Gunny Gold Belt

This is a common sentiment but the partisan zombies won’t be hearing any of it. You writing this OP makes you a straight up GOP alt-righter to them

10. ShinkanPo Titanium Belt

Look at @Falsedawn 's post he out right said just because those in the OP are rightwing talking points that could OP is not really left leaning

I think this all or nothing approach is not healthy for a discourse Obama will not be like that he listens to even the hecklers

Headkicktoleg, Bald1, Cyber99 and 7 others like this.
  11. Kandyland Banned Banned

<{Heymansnicker}><{Heymansnicker}><{Heymansnicker}>

Sure. And Fox news doesn't lean right.

<{1-1}>

Stoic1, MoparOrNoCar and Whippy McGee like this.
  12. Ares Black Yellow Card Yellow Card

The two things are not mutually exclusive.

13. Yehudim Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

In my opinion, quite centrist as opposed to center right, at least on economics.

14. Falsedawn The Opposition Platinum Member

Are they not right wing talking points? Do y'all think that because you preface your post with "As a left winger..." that I'm supposed to ignore the remaining content?

Try and make this about me if you want, but what you really need to grapple with is your belief that proclaiming yourself something means that you are it. You can claim to be a black dude, but if you post about phrenology, I'm probably going to call you out for good reason.

Sorry I can read?

Khabib Khanate likes this.
  15. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

I'm actually a right-wing nutter. I feel that if we transfer wealth to the rich, it will make everyone better off. And we actually reduce pollution if we let big companies get away with it. I think all the crazy conspiracy theories that those guys--I mean us guys--promote are literally true. Climate change is a hoax, God created the world by magic 10,000 years ago, Russia and COVID are hoaxes. But darn it, the right-wing bias in the MSM is making me think of being a leftist. How many of my fellow righties are with me here?

Halge, Khabib Khanate, aries and 9 others like this.
  16. Yehudim Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

This but unironically

Khabib Khanate likes this.
  17. Falsedawn The Opposition Platinum Member

Or my favorite, "As a black man, I think that black people are horrible and should stop complaining about their issues".

Like yeah ok "black man".

{<hhh]

18. toutadixballes Playing touch butt in a park

Pretty weird to say medias are left when you see how cnn and msnbc treated Bernie.
    You're like 90% of the american population making the confusion between the left and the libs.
    Libs want esthetic changes with identity politics but no structural changes (reducing economic inequalities, creating a more direct democracy, balancing american foreign policy etc ...)

Sakurabaism, Cyber99 and Patof like this.
  19. forum poster Black Belt

I wish the media were left wing. Neolib Washington consensus is not left in any meaningful way.

Patof and toutadixballes like this.
  20. Seano Hands of bone

I've always been conservative but considered myself more moderate prior to a few years ago. I don't think my views have changed, I think the left just can't control its absurd base and have gone so far left that every one else seems extreme right by comparison.

xxxfrankb, Halge, Hatorade and 2 others like this.