Is McGregor vs. Nurmagomedov really the biggest fight in MMA history?

I can't answer for anyone else, but happy to shell out the clams to see it! Biggest ever? I don't know, I can tell you it is big enough for me!

Top 5 in terms of hype/interest imo:

1. Diaz vs McGregor 2
2. Lesnar vs Mir 2
3. McGregor vs Diaz
4. Khabib vs McGregor
5. Silva vs Sonnen 2

But hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe this will be number 1. It just doesn't feel to have quite the same buzz on it as of now as some other big fights.

Not even close. Khabib is a bit unproven imo, he got his belt by beating Iaquinta of all people, and he never fought Conor, Ferg or Porier/Eddie.

Conor literally has 1 LW win in the UFC, and is 1-1 very unimpressively against Nate Diaz
Beating RDA is a better win than beating Conor/Porier/Eddie and beating Barboza is just as good a win as those 3 imo. He doesn't have a super deep resume but he's proven enough.

If Lesnar/Fedor would have ever happened in 2009, that would have been the biggest mma fight ever. Even Khabib vs McG wouldn't be a bigger fight than that.

But yes, Conor vs Khabib will be the biggest fight in mma history. Gsp/BJ, Silva/Hendo, Jones/DC, Liddell/Couture are all in the conversation as well tho.

I think it is. It's mass appeal beyond MMA is what puts it over the top of the other greats before it.

This fight has a shot to be the biggest from a PPV standpoint. From a competitive standpoint it is very significant and will greatly influence the legacies of arguably the two best fighter their division has ever seen. For Conor it helps solidify what will ultimately be one of the biggest legacies in the sport.

And the fight itself is incredibly interesting. Hate Conor all you want, but honestly it doesn't get any better than this.

There's been lot's of fight I've been just as if not more excited for.

Fedor vs Nog

Rampage vs. Chuck 1

Chuck vs. Randy

Fedor vs Cro Cop

Conor vs. Aldo

Conor vs. Nate 2

DC vs. JJ 1

I'm sure there's more that I just can't think of atm.
?????? fake news

Maybe PPV wise and Conor nuthuggers world, other than that no. Conor is a can and Khabib already owns his soul.

It is one of those rare events where the money fight also equals interesting technical/skill matchup with a rivalry.

I'd say Jones/DC as the biggest fight (as far as MMA skill significance goes). McGregor/Diaz II for sheer spectacle.

In terms of numbers, yes.

Biggest fight overall In terms of significance? prob nowhere close
@Typrune Goatley
@brutal respect
@Only Here for Attachments

Absolutely in terms of significance too

The arguable FW GOAT vs the best at LW, LW the most stacked division in MMA history, to settle who will be the king of LW....21-3 vs 26-0..

Show me a more meaningful fight where the 2 fighters had a better record individually and or even combined?

People were propagating the over rated Jones vs DC as the most significant fight, and yet Jones was 20-1 and DC was 15-0

And it was for the LHW belt - LHW being the weakest division in all of MMA..

Conor vs Khabib sure as fuck is way more of a significant landmark fight In MMA, just even on a statistical level

21-3 vs 26-0 for the belt in the most stacked division in all of MMA >>>>>>>

Top 5 in terms of hype:
1. Diaz vs McGregor 2
2. Jones vs DC 2
3. McGregor vs Aldo
4. Khabib vs McGregor
5. Cain vs JDS

Every fight with Conor is biggest fight ever

No other mma fighter has come close to what he brings . Truley once in lifetime stuff

I'd say it is, not even in just ppvs or whatever as that changes as the sport grows as well as entertainment in general BUT cos its arguably the most elite striker in mma fighting his second fight in his natural weight class vs what is arguable the best grappler in the same weight class.
Striker largely untested against grapplers and grappler largely untested against top competition.

Is very very big and hopefully delivers as expected.

i feel like there was way more buzz and hype around the Aldo fight and the Diaz fights.

Back