Is McGregor the most successful one dimensional fighter we've seen?

You're talking out of your ass bro

Leave the proper analysis to the big boys

Literally everything you said is overly simplistic, short sighted and ultimately based on your clear personal biases

All fighters have multiples dimensions in varying degrees.

In regards to Conor, it is objectively true that both his wrestling and grappling ability have been underrated. Which isn't to say that he's some god in those realms, but far more versed and competent than he gets credit for by people who typically have no experience or tangible knowledge or those arts themselves

Having some integrity and objectivity in analysis when it comes to Conor doesn't make him my boy either. Nobody is my boy more than any other. I give everyone equal due. Most of you guys hate the man so much that you're incapable of offering anything rational when it comes to anything involving him.

You're right, I hate Conor, that's why I've made a thread talking about his success.

Read my other comments before you come out with moronic statements as above.

What about best interdimensional fighters? GSP?

Do you not count the second Nate fight or Mayweather fight as Conor digging deep?

No, I think the Mayweather fight proved the point.
Conor chose an old, feather-fisted fighter, who hadn't scored a KO in 10 years.
Mayweather is a harmless back-pedaler, who actually brought the fight to the bigger McGreogor.
After 3 good rounds, McGregor gassed, and then frantically tried to stay in the fight, was clearly nervous, backed-up all over the ring, and folded under just being walked down by a harmless puncher.
Had McGregor chosen a real fighter, like Pacquiao, who has legit KO power, that "boxing match" wouldn't have lasted a round.

I don't know that there's anyone else who qualifies.

He's the most successful mma fighter there will ever be.

And his skill set barely qualifies as mixed martial arts.

Do you not count the second Nate fight or Mayweather fight as Conor digging deep?

As for the second Nate fight, I thought Conor came in there much better-prepared, and did a terrific job.
Still, the dude gassed, albeit later in the fight. Turned & ran at points ... and was down, and just about finished, when the final bell tolled.
The look of sheer relief on Conor's tired, terrified face said it all ... although props to him for doing a better job than the first fight.

No, I think the Mayweather fight proved the point.
Conor chose an old, feather-fisted fighter, who hadn't scored a KO in 10 years.
Mayweather is a harmless back-pedaler, who actually brought the fight to the bigger McGreogor.
After 3 good rounds, McGregor gassed, and then frantically tried to stay in the fight, was clearly nervous, backed-up all over the ring, and folded under just being walked down by a harmless puncher.
Had McGregor chosen a real fighter, like Pacquiao, who has legit KO power, that "boxing match" wouldn't have lasted a round.
He's far from a harmless puncher lol have you ever been hit in your life? Part of defence is also having enough power in your shots to punish opponents coming at you, otherwise they'd simply walk through you. His game became elusive that's why he finished his career 50-0, not because he couldn't punch.

Matt Hughes and 1000 other fighters from back in the day say hello. The UFC is more than 10 years old you know....

He's far from a harmless puncher lol have you ever been hit in your life? Part of defence is also having enough power in your shots to punish opponents coming at you, otherwise they'd simply walk through you. His game became elusive that's why he finished his career 50-0, not because he couldn't punch.

Yes, I boxed for 6 years, and have been a boxing fan before you were a smile on your daddy's face.

Yes, I boxed for 6 years, and have been a boxing fan before you were a smile on your daddy's face.
Lmao I'm probably double your age sweetheart. Based on your analysis, if you're older than 15 and have boxed more than a Christmas present I'd be amazed.

He won 1 fight at 155, UFC have cheapened what winning a belt means, but it is easy for Conor fans to use it to troll normal MMA fans. I find it pathetic. You could give some unranked prelim fighter a shot at the title an sometimes they will get the upset, but in no way does that make them a champion.

I still don't agree he is one dimensional, but funny how that is now being used to praise him instead of discredit

Or in the case of Eddie Alvarez (one of the worst Champs the division has ever had) they could have thrown random Filipino fighters at him and we could easily have had our first Filipino ufc champ

Lmao I'm probably double your age sweetheart. Based on your analysis, if you're older than 15 and have boxed more than a Christmas present I'd be amazed.

Double my age? You're 106? Just goes to show how little you know about anything. Internet fantasy child.
Anyway, if you think Floyd Mayweather is a puncher, then you're the one who's never been in the ring with one.
Is Floyd athletic? Yes. Fast? Yes. Intelligent? Yes again. But a puncher? Umm, not even close.
There's no need to debate this further. We'll agree to disagree.

Double my age? You're 106? Just goes to show how little you know about anything. Internet fantasy child.
Anyway, if you think Floyd Mayweather is a puncher, then you're the one who's never been in the ring with one.
Is Floyd athletic? Yes. Fast? Yes. Intelligent? Yes again. But a puncher? Umm, not even close.
There's no need to debate this further. We'll agree to disagree.
Did I say he was a puncher? No, any pro fighter that makes it to 50-0 can punch, and yes early on in his career he used to KO and TKO opponents. As he matured he became more defensive but he didn't lose his power all together, if he had his clever counters would have zero effect on fighters and they'd have walked him down, simple. I could walk up to you in the street and thump you causing damage, so calling Conor a pussy for staying in a fight when he's being punched all the ring by a pro fighter is ignorant and stupid.

Lol, really?

All he had to do was grab Conors leg 15 seconds in to put him on his back for the first round.

Did he even get Dustin on his back for more than a few secnds or did he just control him against the fence in constant scrambles for most of the fight?

Not to mention Conor broke every rule in the book to avoid being taken down in the third.

Man, hate blinds you.
He defended against Eddie, Mendes or Khabib better than you would expect from a cluless grappler. Also outgrappled Max.
He is very far from one of the most one dimensional succesful fighters

Did I say he was a puncher? No, any pro fighter that makes it to 50-0 can punch, and yes early on in his career he used to KO and TKO opponents.

Yes, you did. Floyd is an evasive, slick boxer. If you actually had fight experience, you would realize punchers stand their ground, move forward, and really try to knock their opponents out. They do not backpedal, "hide behind their raised arms," and throw arm punches from their back foot. You simply don't know WTF you are talking about.

As he matured he became more defensive but he didn't lose his power all together, if he had his clever counters would have zero effect on fighters and they'd have walked him down, simple.

Bullshit. As Floyd moved up and weight, he knew what little power he had turned to nothing. Floyd's MO was to hide behind long forearms, and that annoying "Mayweather side-stance," chin hiding behind his left shoulder, forearms up, avoiding punches—while throwing bit-slap counters—in the effort to "score points," with no real effort made to knock anyone TF out. Floyd was an expert at nullifying others, while offering 'not much' in the way of bad-intentioned offense.

A true puncher moves forward, plants his feet, and really tries to throw hard/devastating punches with leverage.
They do not "lean back" and throw arm punches. You simply don't know WTF you are talking about.

When he fought Conor, Floyd backpedaled at first, realize the harmless Conor couldn't hurt him after a round or two, and then Floyd walked forward "with his hands up," blocking Conor's own ineffectual punches, strategically wearing Conor down, as MacGregor panicked and backpedaled, losing what little stamina he had with every step, with Floyd threw his own "haymaker arm punches" at the MMA stylist. Floyd only landed glancing blows, as Connor continued to backpedal and run. It was a feather-fisted old man against a hopelessly-outclassed, short-winded pretender. Conor collapsed from fatigue, and was saved by the ref, precisely because Floyd is not a puncher. Manny Paquiao would've flatlined MacGregor in that same, fatigued state.

I could walk up to you in the street and thump you causing damage, so calling Conor a pussy for staying in a fight when he's being punched all the ring by a pro fighter is ignorant and stupid.

You could walk up to me in the street, and get flatlined in the failed attempt to cause me damage.

Sure Conor is braver than the average person, just for competing. But compared to the best, bravest, toughest fighters of all time, he is indeed a short-winded pussy, who looks for a way out any time he is fatigued and/or dominated.

I am not measuring his efforts against "Casper milquetoasts"; I am measuring Conor's efforts against the toughest, gamest, fighters of all time.

Conor doesn't even belong in such a discussion.

Successful? The guy hasn't won a fight since moving on to people his own size.

Royce still gets talked about to this day. Not that I think he'd stand a chance now though.

And he just had bjj back then.

His BJJ wasn't even a good and his opponents were no better than bar-room brawlers when it comes to striking. The ones who weren't were clueless how to integrate their abilities into MMA.

Yes, you did. Floyd is an evasive, slick boxer. If you actually had fight experience, you would realize punchers stand their ground, move forward, and really try to knock their opponents out. They do not backpedal, "hide behind their raised arms," and throw arm punches from their back foot. You simply don't know WTF you are talking about.

Bullshit. As Floyd moved up and weight, he knew what little power he had turned to nothing. Floyd's MO was to hide behind long forearms, and that annoying "Mayweather side-stance," chin hiding behind his left shoulder, forearms up, avoiding punches—while throwing bit-slap counters—in the effort to "score points," with no real effort made to knock anyone TF out. Floyd was an expert at nullifying others, while offering 'not much' in the way of bad-intentioned offense.

A true puncher moves forward, plants his feet, and really tries to throw hard/devastating punches with leverage.
They do not "lean back" and throw arm punches. You simply don't know WTF you are talking about.

When he fought Conor, Floyd backpedaled at first, realize the harmless Conor couldn't hurt him after a round or two, and then Floyd walked forward "with his hands up," blocking Conor's own ineffectual punches, strategically wearing Conor down, as MacGregor panicked and backpedaled, losing what little stamina he had with every step, with Floyd threw his own "haymaker arm punches" at the MMA stylist. Floyd only landed glancing blows, as Connor continued to backpedal and run. It was a feather-fisted old man against a hopelessly-outclassed, short-winded pretender. Conor collapsed from fatigue, and was saved by the ref, precisely because Floyd is not a puncher. Manny Paquiao would've flatlined MacGregor in that same, fatigued state.

You could walk up to me in the street, and get flatlined in the failed attempt to cause me damage.

Sure Conor is braver than the average person, just for competing. But compared to the best, bravest, toughest fighters of all time, he is indeed a short-winded pussy, who looks for a way out any time he is fatigued and/or dominated.

I am not measuring his efforts against "Casper milquetoasts"; I am measuring Conor's efforts against the toughest, gamest, fighters of all time.

Conor doesn't even belong in such a discussion.
Then measure his efforts with Aldo, Holloway, Poirier, Diaz, Mendes, Eddie...

Man, hate blinds you.
He defended against Eddie, Mendes or Khabib better than you would expect from a cluless grappler. Also outgrappled Max.
He is very far from one of the most one dimensional succesful fighters
Hate has nothing to do with it and I never said he was one dimensional.

I took exception to the claim he was a harder grappling match for Khabib than Dustin simply for the fact that statement is blatantly false.

At no point did Eddie or Mendez enter into the equation and well he did out grapple Max at the time that was a glaring hole in Max's game having just come off a grapplefucking loss in his prior fight.

Max also had a broken foot which would gave seriously hindered his ability to push off from the bottom but Conor having the ACL injury himself kind of cancels those things out as they were both compromised.

Conor And the Old Man...

Conor: "Drink me Proper 12, laddy or I’ll be smacking ya in the Kisser!"

Old Man: "I’d rather have me punch to the Kisser than drink that shite!" Proper 12 is like trying to make love to a Lady, and finding out that "She" has a Shillelagh in its pants!!
;)

Back