Is Matthysse really the P4P hardest puncher?

Power is an overrated quality in a boxer. Think of all the biggest punchers in the sports history, very few of them are considered great.
Ill agree with to an extent

Problem with Power punchers is consistency in KO's

What I mean is power punchers rarely end fights late

Pretty hard to name a handful of KO artists that can end fights anywhere from the opening bell to the final, Kostya Tszyu was able to end fights late, something IMO that is much more difficult to achieve as opposed to finishing a fighter when he's still cold.

Even with my favorite KO artist Julian Jackson, it was a safe bet that after the 5th-7th round, his opponents would surivive to see the 12th but have accumulated enough damage not to pose any threat though, so ive yet to see boxer who can end fights late and not just be the most feared prize fighter for the first 5 rounds.

My vote goes to Adonis Stevenson. The way he puts people out you'd think he was a heavyweight from the 90s.

p4p stevenson is a better puncher than mathysse.
thurman is probably a harder puncher.

mathysses power is overrated, maidana probably punches harder with his right when he connect clean. mathysse just connected clean better in the fights he had.

mathysses power is overrated, maidana probably punches harder with his right when he connect clean. mathysse just connected clean better in the fights he had.

Right, the guy just puts everything into every punch. He throws so wild that he falls down. I don't really think of that as natural power in the way Randall Bailey or Julian Jackson have.

Right, the guy just puts everything into every punch. He throws so wild that he falls down. I don't really think of that as natural power in the way Randall Bailey or Julian Jackson have.

I'd put stevenson in with bailey and jackson.

lots of those guys ko'd people that will likely never be ko'd or seriously hurt ever again.
each of them also had timing too.

Bailey's incredible for the fact that the blows he puts people out with (and often out as opposed to simply knocked down and hurt) often don't look that powerful. They're a standard straight right, a normal uppercut, the sort of blows that you'd normally expect to snap his opponent's heads back but little more... and instead they're unconscious.

I mean, take the below knockout. It's just a straight right; he doesn't leap forward into it, he doesn't even do a huge amount with his bodyweight or wind it up particularly. Yet it's a one punch KO.

Or his knockdown and knockout over Mike Jones. The knockdown is again just a simple right hand... not leap, no real movement beyond transfering his weight forward. Just one-shot power. And the knockout... just a counter upper-cut. We've seen many a boxer land that punch but normally it shakes an opponent or at most puts them down because they're off balance. With Bailey, it knocks people out.

That's pure, natural power. It's not explosiveness, it's not momentum generated by speed, it's not breaking an opponent down, it's not clubbing them to the ground, it's not relying on bodyweight. It's just an on/off button in Bailey's fists.

People are so quick to call Matthysse's power overated but put Bailey ahead of him?

KO artists do not let a Whitaker KO victim off the hook so easily like he did against Dio Hurtado

People are so quick to call Matthysse's power overated but put Bailey ahead of him?

KO artists do not let a Whitaker KO victim off the hook so easily like he did against Dio Hurtado

A loss is not really an indicator of a guys power.

Mathysse's power didn't seem to be a game changer in his biggest fights.

Bailey still has it well past his prime against a decent prospect like Jones.

To me, it seems like Mathysse tries to punch hard where Bailey just has it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Mathysse doesn't hit hard, that'd be stupid.

Look at the vid of the Jones fight that Consortium posted, even before the KO. There's a KD in the tenth and just before the KD compubox says Bailey had landed 0 power punches in round 10, then he lands 1 and the fight is completely different.

Are people really even attempting to discredit Bailey's power?

Really?

The guy was never a great fighter, even in his prime, but he's always been one of, if not the, biggest punchers in boxing.

The shot he dropped Urango with is another good example. Didn't put him out but that's one tough pig farmer he dropped. One of the hardest punchers I've ever seen for sure. Urango puts an assbeating on him after this, though.

9:20. They're talking about the power when he lands it.

Back