Is Matthysse really the P4P hardest puncher?

Adamant

Adamantium Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I'd have thought Golovkin would be moreso than him. Just wondering. All the pre-hype stuff for the Garcia fight kept going back to him being one of the P4P hardest/strongest punchers.

Nah. He's a good puncher obviously but his power hasn't made the difference in his big fights aside from Peterson who has always been vulnerable early.

He's top 10 p4p for sure imo, but it's obviously so subjective to be able to really rate it accurately. I think Randall Bailey is hands down the biggest puncher in the sport right now. He's not a huge dude for ww or jmw, he doesn't have any real speed to speak of that would help him with catching guys, just pure concussive power. The way people react to his shots is something you don't see with many other guys in the history of the sport imo.

Just throwing names out off the top of my head that are arguable top 10 punchers: I think Wlad's definitely up there, Haye hits extremely hard for an undersized hw, Adonis Stevenson has top p4p power imo, Mikey Garcia is a huge puncher, Donaire and Quillen have big one shot power especially with their hooks, GGG is a big puncher for not being a big guy at 160, Maidana and Vic Ortiz have a lot of power. Abraham is fading but he's still got one shot power. Angulo and Cintron both can crack. I'm sure I'm missing a handful of others that can be in the conversation as well.

I think Matthysse's up there for sure but I don't think he's the top guy. Like I said, it's such a subjective subject that it's hard to really say for sure. Just opinions when it comes down to it. Personally my opinion is Bailey.

Deontay Wilder has stopped everyone he's fought.

Just found a list I made awhile back, like I said just names of guys who hit harder than most others in the sport so it's arguable obviously.

Kovalev, Roman Gonzalez, David Price, John Molina, Deontay, Curtis Stevens, Vic Darchinyan, Ponce De Leon (a lot of people disagree with Ponce), Brian Viloria, Kendall Holt, Stiverne, Travis Walker hits pretty fucking hard. Those are the ones I wrote down along with the guys in my other post.

The thing with me is that you don't really have to be a good fighter to have a lot of power. How good of a fighter you are doesn't have any correlation to how hard you hit. You can tell when guys hit hard by the reaction their punches have on opponents. Deontay is definitely raw and doesn't have a significant name on his record but you can just tell the guy has a shit ton of power, his right hand is lethal.

Most of the guys that I consider top punchers aren't really the best fighters out there, having power can sometimes take away from learning other skills b/c fighters just think they need to land one and it's over. You almost never see guys who are pure boxers but also have huge power and technique to go along with it, Ricardo Lopez was one of the rare exceptions along with Hearns, etc.

I think that says a lot about how power can sometimes hinder your development as a fighter. Guys who don't have power need to find other ways to win and are usually much more technical than big punchers.

Deontay Wilder has stopped everyone he's fought.

Lol:icon_lol:, my vote goes to GGG. Guy can stop you with any punch, left or right. He is also knocking out better competition.

Last edited:
Lets rephrase the question...

who in boxing right now or in the last 10 years have you seen that consistently hits people hard enough that you think they could die from any one shot they throw, and they throw like that consistently and win fights...

He hasn't really fought anyone.

I'd throw in Gennady Golovkin and David Haye as the hardest punchers.
True, its easy to rack up the KOs against crap competition. Thats how most "ko artists" do it.

Wasn't meant in poor taste. I was talking about his boing. The fact he was a monster is an aside IMO. I didn't mean any offence.

Wasn't meant in poor taste. I was talking about his boing. The fact he was a monster is an aside IMO. I didn't mean any offence.

Quoted for lulz. Put boxing where I put a quote by Beavis.

P4P Greatest puncher is Alexis Arguello. He would just touch them and they would fall

Back