Is Mark Hunt the best fighter with the worst record ever?

• Thread starter SouthoftheAndes
  • Start date
Hunt is a lower level fighter with subpar skills and a 50/50 record.

Nope. And add to that that lately he's made Tim Kennedy seem like a humble fighter, it's only hurt his image further.

And he is 30–13 in Kick-Boxing, against the elite HWs of his generation. He is a great fighter with amazing heart.

I agree that he should have lost that decision to Wand, but if by your standards Mark Hunt isn't a great fighter, who is?
DC, Cain, Jones, Anderson, GSP, basically hundreds of other mma fighters. Hunt however is not great, you can't have a .500 record and routinely get destroyed by fighters you outweigh by 100 pounds and be considered great.

Hunt's record is pretty reflective of who he's fought and how good he is.

He's lost 11 times. 7 of those losses came against guys who were former, current, or soon to be HW champions of either Pride, Strikeforce, or the UFC.

He's simply not major org HW championship caliber.

He does better against LHW champions (like Wand) or minor org HW champions (like Big Country or Big Ben)... but even there he sometimes struggles (as with his loss against LHW Strikeforce champ, Moussassi).

He's an interesting match-up for high level guys because of that KO power, but he really hasn't capitalized at the highest level except against a shot Mir.

Ironically, his split decision win over Cro Cop is the most impressive thing he's ever done.

Hunt was thrown in there with the wolves right off the bat, aside from Nishijima most of his opponents have had very respectable mma records.

But they both have several wins above .500. Hunt is always riding at like 1 or 2 more win.

But Hunt is 12-11-1!!!!

1 WIN!!! Above .500
they're also far more accomplished than Hunt in MMA, so comparitively they may be worse

Hunt was thrown in there with the wolves right off the bat, aside from Nishijima most of his opponents have had very respectable mma records.

Shhh. Don't tell these guys that Hunt came in to MMA not knowing shit from apple butter about the ground game and came in from K-1 which he won a Grand Prix in.. when that actually meant something and had pretty much no gimmie fights Nishajima was a crusierweight champion boxer if i remember correctly and I also love that fight too.

Back