Is Mark Hunt the best fighter with the worst record ever?

• Thread starter SouthoftheAndes
  • Start date
Saku

Few years back I never understood why people thought he was good, I mean, look at his record yo. Took some dedication to understand why people loved him and why it was an event to watch him fight back in the day.

Gotta mention the NYBA Phil Baroni.
Ever since he left the UFC with a 5-5 record (and some crazy fights, both battles against Matt Lindland are classics)
Baroni has always lost once, won one, lost 2, won 2, etc...

I remember there was a huge thread here everytime that sadly, his losses caught up with his wins, and NYBA would post a lot in these.
Last time was a loss (vaillant effort though) against Hayato Sakurai, pretty sad thread but we all shared memories of cool Baroni moments with the man himself.
Good guy with his fans.

Last edited:
"Psssssh, shut up :eek::eek::eek:. Your guys has like a .500 record. JonesGOAT UNDEFEATED. DEAL WITH IT. And McG Is COMING for the LW BELT."

12-11(10)-1, God damn

oWskLnH.jpg

BJ Penn at 16-10 and Frank Mir at 18-11 are both good candidates as well. Usually what happens when you fight a murderers row of opponents.

Agreed. I already posted about BJ. I can't stand Mir, but he's always been a highly skilled fighter that finds himself in shitty situations.

He's a one trick pony, he has KO power and that's literally it.

He's p4p top 10 biggest whiner tho

He has more than just power. And, the power he does have is of the highest magnitude we've ever seen. Nobody hits harder than hunt, and he does a few other things well, in addition to simply hitting hard.

Hes got excellent poise and accuracy, he doesn't waste shots and tire himself out, he has the ability to quickly close the distance and land clean, with massive power and he has a legendary chin.

Punching power is only a small part or the puzzle.

He has more than just power. And, the power he does have is of the highest magnitude we've ever seen. Nobody hits harder than hunt, and he does a few other things well, in addition to simply hitting hard.

Hes got excellent poise and accuracy, he doesn't waste shots and tire himself out, he has the ability to quickly close the distance and land clean, with massive power and he has a legendary chin.

Punching power is only a small part or the puzzle.
He has good striking that's common knowledge, other than that there's not much else there and a good puzzle doesn't get solved 11 times

He has good striking that's common knowledge, other than that there's not much else there and a good puzzle doesn't get solved 11 times

You said "he has KO power and that's literally it"

And I didn't even mention his good TDD.

Quit hating. Mark Hunt is a good fighter despite having lost 11 times. In fact, just look at the title of the thread you're in.

I'd never say that hunt is the best of all time, but he's certainly one of the best fighters with the worst records ever. And he's a treat to watch.

Hunt is 0-1-1 in the lowest of low level boxing also. He's far from a "great" fighter. He has good power for mma standards but little else. He should actually be under .500, I feel he lost to Wand.

You said "he has KO power and that's literally it"

And I didn't even mention his good TDD.

Quit hating. Mark Hunt is a good fighter despite having lost 11 times. In fact, just look at the title of the thread you're in.

I'd never say that hunt is the best of all time, but he's certainly one of the best fighters with the worst records ever. And he's a treat to watch.
He's fun to watch you're right but that doesn't change the fact that he's an overrated, average at best knockout artist. If the HW division had better fighters Mark Hunt would get rolled up and smoked...........He's an MMA version of David Tua

Not hating just sayin

No. All he can do is punch hard. Having watched him fight many times over the years, I fail to see what qualifies him as a "good fighter" outside his punching power. I get that he comes across as a nice guy, but he pretty much just filled the shoes of Tank Abbot and Cabbage.
He can take a punch too.

He's fun to watch you're right but that doesn't change the fact that he's an overrated, average at best knockout artist. If the HW division had better fighters Mark Hunt would get rolled up and smoked...........He's an MMA version of David Tua

Not hating just sayin

Lol, David Tua was ranked in the top 30 hardest punches in boxing history by Ring magazine. He also had excellent defence and had overall ptetty good boxing skills. His only downfall was his height. At 5'9-10 Tua always had to fight much bigger guys his entire career.

His chin was better than Hunts, his power was much better. Tua finished his career 52 wins (42 by KO) 5 losses and one draw (no stoppage losses)

How the fuck can you even compare the two?

Lol, David Tua was ranked in the top 30 hardest punches in boxing history by Ring magazine. He also had excellent defence and had overall ptetty good boxing skills. His only downfall was his height. At 5'9-10 Tua always had to fight much bigger guys his entire career.

His chin was better than Hunts, his power was much better. Tua finished his career 52 wins (42 by KO) 5 losses and one draw (no stoppage losses)

How the fuck can you even compare the two?
Same age,height,nationality,both heavyweights, both known for power, neither held a major belt etc etc

It's a pretty fair comparison

Hunt is 0-1-1 in the lowest of low level boxing also. He's far from a "great" fighter. He has good power for mma standards but little else. He should actually be under .500, I feel he lost to Wand.
And he is 30–13 in Kick-Boxing, against the elite HWs of his generation. He is a great fighter with amazing heart.

I agree that he should have lost that decision to Wand, but if by your standards Mark Hunt isn't a great fighter, who is?

BJ Penn at 16-10 and Frank Mir at 18-11 are both good candidates as well. Usually what happens when you fight a murderers row of opponents.

none of them have a 12-11 record. so still hunt.

Anybody mention Carlos Newton yet?

Back