Is Lyoto Machida's new Fan Friendly Style causing his decline besides old age?

KillerElite

Carlos Condit knees people in the face
@Black
Reaction score
I remember when he was much more effective his posture was better he landed more and a lot more elusive. I think training at king's mma was bad for him. It made him more fan friendly instead of effective. I mean he can still destroy cans but not the elite.
Here is a difference between then and now
lyotodropssilvaagain.gif

1. Machida has his lead side pointed at the center line of Thiago Silva.

2. Thiago, thinking he has the advantageous angle, throws a straight right. Lyoto hop-steps back and to his left.

3. Having secured an inside angle, Lyoto throws a left hand that gets blocked.

4. Thiago attempts to counter with a stepping left kick, but Machida throws a shift punch, stepping through with his left foot as he throws a right straight that drops Silva.
Now he is more aggressive instead of his old passive aggressive style. Also his defense has gone down a lot because of this. Even though his takedown defense has gone from the 80s to the 70s. This may seem not like much but it is. The machida of yesteryear would have been a much more dangerous opponent to roidmaster romero, cockhold and The Chris.

It's called getting old. I don't think his style has change much at all.

If you watch his fight against luke it was a very aggressive machida, and it resulted in him gettin his ass whooped.

is this thread based off that one fight? i guess he was more aggressive in the moose fight, but i think the speed advantage was why

Well FWIW TS I think Machida has been a lot more aggressive in his fights, and it's been years since we saw the elusive Machida.

Machida does not strike me as a person whom would sacrifice fundamentals for the sake of fan entertainment.

Gettin old and having a style that heavily relies on speed and reflexes is a badcombination.

If anything, it's a testament to Rafael Corderio that Machida is still relevant at age 37.

he had to become more aggressive because the judges aren't giving him points for running away anymore

It's just age, Machida is out there looking like a guy that knows he can't take the damage or move as quickly as he used to. He recently seems to be at extremes of pensive and aggressive, whereas before he was more elusive and intentional. When your style is essentially based around being agile and reflexive age can wreck serious havoc.

His lack of a ground game caught up to him. When Rockhold and GayJesus got him to the ground, he didnt know what to do.

what fan friendly style I don't think he change a lot I think he even got more boring and predictable thats why he started losing more. And getting hit more even in fights where he won.

And Its just he was match up with fighters better than him the Champion Chris Wideman, and No contender Rockhold and No forget gay Jesus bro.

No, his new style is a result of his decline, not the other way around. He's not as quick as he once was so now he's forced to stand and exchange more.

It does put him in more danger because he takes more risks but he is noticeably slower imo.

romero and rockhold are animals its not like he is losing to luke barnett

Machida is one of the last people I would flag as "fan-friendly"

I remember when he was much more effective his posture was better he landed more and a lot more elusive. I think training at king's mma was bad for him. It made him more fan friendly instead of effective. I mean he can still destroy cans but not the elite.
Here is a difference between then and now
lyotodropssilvaagain.gif

1. Machida has his lead side pointed at the center line of Thiago Silva.

2. Thiago, thinking he has the advantageous angle, throws a straight right. Lyoto hop-steps back and to his left.

3. Having secured an inside angle, Lyoto throws a left hand that gets blocked.

4. Thiago attempts to counter with a stepping left kick, but Machida throws a shift punch, stepping through with his left foot as he throws a right straight that drops Silva.
Now he is more aggressive instead of his old passive aggressive style. Also his defense has gone down a lot because of this. Even though his takedown defense has gone from the 80s to the 70s. This may seem not like much but it is. The machida of yesteryear would have been a much more dangerous opponent to roidmaster romero, cockhold and The Chris.

I would say its a bit of both, age effecting a fighter with a very speed dependant style and a shift towards a more aggressive game he isn't as well suited to.

One notable stat for me that shows both IMHO is that he's not been hurting or finishing people with his hands since the Bader fight. The kicks look impressive but I would argue don't need either the same speed or the same technique/setup.

Back