Is LSD "Long slow duration" training and BJJ a good mix???

I think wearing a monitor is great, I hate jogging without one. I was surprised how high my heartrate was at any given level of running.

I think wearing a monitor is great, I hate jogging without one. I was surprised how high my heartrate was at any given level of running.

It was kind of cool to see it when lifting.

70, 72, 74, 76, 80, 120

lol

I think the word you were looking for was 'acronym'. And LSD is a very well known one in the S&C world...fuckhead.

Actually, he is right. LSD is initalism. An example of an acronym would be something like,

FUBAR. You can prenounce it, and each letter represents a word.

F. Fucked
U. Up
B. Beyond
A. All
R. Recognition

FUBAR.

Initalism is a series of letters, that each represent a word, but you cannot prenounce.

Such as F.B.I. You say, FBI. You dont say "Fa-bi".

This has been a lesson of grammar today, by BTT Mike.

I hope you all feel smarted now. :icon_chee

btw, im loving the info in this thread. My S&C is non-existant at this point, and if i want to win a World Championship, i need to step up all aspects of my game.

ttt for more advice and concepts.

Thanks to all who contribute.

Preface/Introduction

"Where others work hard, you will have an understanding of how to work smarter and more effectively."

Thank you very much, sir. Your hard work is greatly appreciated!

You S&C guys are alright in my book. I don't care what anyone else says! :icon_chee

btw, im loving the info in this thread. My S&C is non-existant at this point, and if i want to win a World Championship, i need to step up all aspects of my game.

ttt for more advice and concepts.

Thanks to all who contribute.

I'm with you. The owner of one of our affiliates (super fit s&c guy) likes Tabatas for jiu jitsu. But, I guess that's old hat now.

I just want to follow something that works for me. I don't care to argue merits of each system. I just want " to train for to get better."

8 common mistakes (each being a half-page to two pages depending). I'm going to gloss over them but I've seen most of them in this thread, and certainly all of them have come up over time as conditioning is discussed in the grappling forum.

Can you expand on this?

I currently do two HIIT sessions on the rower, two strength sessions and two LSD/LIT sessions a week as well as plenty of mat time between class and open mat. I find the HIIT easily to fit in during lunchtimes in work and they give me lot of 'bag for my buck' (sorry for the Americanism!)

Thanks btw, i'll be buying the book :D

I'll give this one caution to guys who do big lifts and workout with max resistence in HICT. Keep those days away from your squat and dead lift day. I do lot of hill running, arc trainer and bik so when I go to squat my hams and quads are not at 100% strength even though th first couple of sets trick you into thinkin they're are. Take atleast one or two day breaks after the hict before the big squat day and you should be fine. If everything feels like it's bogged down then it's time to reset. I've developed a bit of a hamstring problen learning this.

Can you expand on this?

I currently do two HIIT sessions on the rower, two strength sessions and two LSD/LIT sessions a week as well as plenty of mat time between class and open mat. I find the HIIT easily to fit in during lunchtimes in work and they give me lot of 'bag for my buck' (sorry for the Americanism!)

Thanks btw, i'll be buying the book :D

I think it's bang for your buck, btw! (which the book also gives!! ;) )

Anyway, the mistakes are pretty obvious and look too simple when I just give you the headings.

The big two are following a general program and not co-ordinating ALL of your training.

You should be testing yourself to see exactly where you need to improve. Not "I feel tired when x" but actual measurable metrics.

re: co-ordination, many people see their S&C work as separate from their training work, but everything has to play off everything else. Both have an effect on you and you have ot understand what that is

I think the word you were looking for was 'acronym'. And LSD is a very well known one in the S&C world...fuckhead.

Wrong. An acronym means you can pronounce it as a word...like M.A.D.D. or L.A.S.E.R. etc. Moron.

Hey Bill,

wanted to say that Im doing something similar at the moment. I competed yesterday, with a full 4 weeks of extra cardio included in my training in the run up to the comp.

This is a springboard for my training for the Euros in Jan 11, which inturn will help me prepare for the Masters and Seniors in Rio, July 11.

So when I get a spare 5 mins, ill jot some stuff down here and we can exchange ideas and findings, if you cool with that! Hows its going?

i've started using aerobic exercise twice a week now and I'm on my 3rd week or so and Im noticing a nice sized difference in overall cardio. I use the bike 2-3 times a week for 60 minutes at a plodding kind of pace.

Hey Bill,

wanted to say that Im doing something similar at the moment. I competed yesterday, with a full 4 weeks of extra cardio included in my training in the run up to the comp.

This is a springboard for my training for the Euros in Jan 11, which inturn will help me prepare for the Masters and Seniors in Rio, July 11.

So when I get a spare 5 mins, ill jot some stuff down here and we can exchange ideas and findings, if you cool with that! Hows its going?

Sounds good, man. I have been "unscientific" most of my life. I train hard and do well, but I have never really studied human physiology. As I "mature" (I'm 43) I need to work a little smarter...

I did LSD for only 4 weeks. The last 2 weeks I have been running up steep hills (2 x per week). I get my HR to 75% max then sprint to 90%. My HR determines when I sprint again. Back to 75, then sprint back to 90%. I'll do this 12-15 times.

My base is pretty good. I am not too tired after tough practices.

I feel it's a good simulation for bjj training against challenging opponents.

Definitely keep this thread going. I would love to hear how it's working for you.

i've started using aerobic exercise twice a week now and I'm on my 3rd week or so and Im noticing a nice sized difference in overall cardio. I use the bike 2-3 times a week for 60 minutes at a plodding kind of pace.

I highly suggest a heart rate monitor. Once you get used to it you can figure what yor heart rate is without using it. (somewhat)

Took me around 10 months of constant steady-paced running to lower my 80 bpm RHR to 60.

What was your routine like? How many times a week and how hard were you running? Did it translate on the mats?

I strength train twice a week and do bjj twice a week. I think I may add a LSD workout 1-2 times a week.

Awesome thread Cashbill!

No. It isnt. It will create smooth muscle. You will outlast a fella tho if you dont get smoked 1st. Get a good game plan and have alotta other stuff..

No. It isnt. It will create smooth muscle. You will outlast a fella tho if you dont get smoked 1st. Get a good game plan and have alotta other stuff..

Let's say your goal is to last through a BJJ class without passing out. Really, you just want to be able to hang into the later rounds without feeling exhausted. If you have 5 six minute rolls, you are looking at 30 minutes of your heart rate at 80% of max or better. Yes, I know you could be going light with a beginner without breaking a sweat. I am talking about going against people at your own level or better. Luckily, I have a lot of teammates that push me to the limits...:D

The difference between 80% and 90% is a big difference. (imho) Being able to apply technique in the later rounds is critical.

You need a solid aerobic base to build up your anaerobic threshold.

The Diaz brothers are into heart rate training. They never get tired.

edit...I forgot to say that I agree that your first priority is to get good at jiu jitsu.

"I train for to get better..."

I just found my hr watch again, I'm glad I have it back, I've found I don't enjoy jogging without that little window into my cardio vascular system.

Back