Is LSD "Long slow duration" training and BJJ a good mix???

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
LSD = "Long Slow Duration" training

Do any of you guys have heart rate monitors? I want to make some gains in my conditioning and started to use my heart rate monitor tonight. I had an easy 38 minute bike ride. I kept my heart rate at 77% max. It doesn't seem difficult but I am hoping to get some real gains over the next four weeks. Have any of you guys ever trained with a HRM on? I have tried it before, but it kept moving around and I couldn't get a good reading.

If you want some real knowledge on the subject you can read this epic thread on the S&C forum...

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/how-finally-solve-your-conditioning-problem-788235/

If you want the cliff notes you can read this Gracie Mag article...

Graciemag International

Last edited:
You had me a lil worried Bill

...just messing with you...:icon_chee

I am definitely interested in increasing my aerobic power over next next four weeks. The idea is to not go over around 85% at any time so those types of muscles do not activate.

I know that this is mainly a s&c topic but I am wondering if any of the regulars around here actually use a heart rate monitor.

The Diaz brothers use them. Nathan told me he can tell what his heart rate is without the monitor on now. He is really dialed in to heart conditioning.

Don't worry, Dave. I have't gone off the deep end. :icon_lol:

So, my simple cross training regimen will be something like...

120-150 beats per minute (bpm)
Each session should be between 30-90 minutes long
1-2 sessions per week

Simple, huh???

Wellgood to hear bro...the idea sounds interesting.

*enters thread and is disappointed ... then exits*

All I'm saying is Timothy Leary has a mean triangle...

*enters thread and is disappointed ... then exits*

I like your sig.

"Often times when people change, even slightly, their view of the world changes and the things around them look somewhat different -- the natural assumption is to believe the world has changed."

Fits well in my thread...:)

this is pretty new to me... i generally only do HIIT for conditioning, i know my coach is massively into heart rate monitoring when he trains... i will show this to him... thanks cash bill :)

150 bpm is likely too high for most people. You should be aiming for 60-70% of your maximum heart rate and everyone's max is different.

You can find a ballpark for what your max should be by subtracting your age from 220 however as everyone's physiology is different you should actually find your maximum heart rate to get the most out of any kind of specific cardio training.

If anyone is interested I can find and post a method for finding your max that I used as a competitive cyclist.

I have added HICT training twice a week to my training and I think it made a big difference in my recovery during a roll and during the two minute rest between spars. If I go a third day of cardio or more then it will be the 70% zone. I live in a very hilly area so a HR monitor is a must for running or before I know it my HR is in the 170 BPM+ range. For other types of cardio the HRM is important because I'll zone out and my HR will drop below the 70-81% range.

TBH I don't do much HIIT anymore. That ship has sailed for me and I get enough near max HR while sparring. I'm too old for lifting, sparring, and a lot of HIIT at the same time because I can't recover and just wind up sucking at all of them,

TBH I don't do much HIIT anymore. That ship has sailed for me and I get enough near max HR while sparring. I'm too old for lifting, sparring, and a lot of HIIT at the same time because I can't recover and just wind up sucking at all of them,

If your only issue with HIIT is your difficulty with recovery then do it less often but dont stop.

CashBill,

Your HR wont be steady during a match so why are do you want it to be during your training. By all means do one session of LIT to go along with two sessions of HIT but dont think that LIT for 30-90mins will prepare you for a 5/6/7min BJJ match.

Tabatha in the classic 20/10 format as well as HIIT in 1:1 will increase your HR and help greatly with recovery between bursts of hard intense work.

I do LSD one to to times a week, and have for months (which includes months before I started BJJ). As I understand it, LSD is great for your cardiovascular health in general. Will it translate directly to improvements in your "rolling cardio"? Maybe not, but there are plenty of types of conditioning for that.

I have done LSD twice a week to improve my base cardio (for triathlon and mountain bike racing), and I have seen some carry over to the mats with this training. I think the best use of LSD training, though, is to prepare for a period of higher intensity training, which is (in my experience) a lot more useful in BJJ.

TS, do you feel like your base cardio is bad now? Some athletes can maintain good cardio bases year-round (which includes a lot of BJJ players, since there's really no "off season").

The initialism LSD is taken. Think of a new one or you just look like a f***head.

The initialism LSD is taken. Think of a new one or you just look like a f***head.

I think the word you were looking for was 'acronym'. And LSD is a very well known one in the S&C world...fuckhead.

I have done LSD twice a week to improve my base cardio (for triathlon and mountain bike racing), and I have seen some carry over to the mats with this training. I think the best use of LSD training, though, is to prepare for a period of higher intensity training, which is (in my experience) a lot more useful in BJJ.

TS, do you feel like your base cardio is bad now? Some athletes can maintain good cardio bases year-round (which includes a lot of BJJ players, since there's really no "off season").

I feel that my cardio is pretty good. Let's say that I have 6 seven minute sparring sessions during one session. If I am going against lower belts, I am sure that my hr is close to my cardio zone. (80% max)

However, if I am defending all the time or using lots of energy I will fade in the later rounds. One night last week my sparring partners belts were black, brown, brown, purple, purple, brown. By my last match I was in survival mode. I have adapted my survival game pretty well, but I still want to be strong in the later rounds.

So, I am thinking to develop my aerobic power output. This part of the article is interesting to me...

"To increase aerobic power output, we should first look at increasing the efficiency of the heart and how much blood it can pump with each beat. LSD is one of the most effective ways to achieve this but it is more specific than simply going for a jog. At certain heart rates, the left ventricle of the heart is maximally filled with blood. When filled for long enough, the walls of the heart will adapt and stretch, resulting in a greater volume and more blood being pumped with each beat. Imagine a balloon filled with water. If it is full for long enough, the balloon will stretch and become larger. This training method works on the same principle. However if the heart rate is too low, there will not be enough blood to maximally fill the left ventricle. If heart rate is too high, blood enters and leaves too quickly for maximal volume to be achieved. "

Back