Is Lombard a bad match-up for Weidman?

How ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Munoz would get ktfo trying to close-in for a takedown.... Lombard ain't no Chris Leben...

Munoz has fine standup. He could out box lombard. Lombar would hhave to be aggressive to get inside on mmunoz and that's where munoz could take him down. If lombard stays outside munoz could very well out strike him.

Lombard has good TDD, but that doesn't mean he can't be taken down. He matches up well with Okami's style and it's likely enough to stuff Munoz and blast him out; but then there are Sonnen and Weidman who are above them in that area.

What Hector has going for him in every fight - at least on paper - is him having options to grapple or strike. Now all that goes out the window if he fights like he did against Boetsch. No gameplan, bad attitude.

Mindset is an important part of fighting, and guys like Okami, Lombard and Diaz suffer for the lack of ring smarts or being hesitant. If Lombard can follow a gameplan, he's a handful for everyone, which is, imo, the biggest reason for why people see him as a great fighter - write his skillset down, and he's a monster.

I think Weidman wins but Lombard's knockout power and solid base makes him a tough out for pretty much anyone in the division

I'll have to see Lombard-Okami before answering this. Granted, Okami and Weidman are quite different, and Okami has lost some confidence in his striking game and become more chinny. Still, he's a big, strong MW who's the best grappler Lombard has faced (at least in a long time) and has the reach/jab to stay outside and frustrate Hector.

The Boetsch fight was a dud and Palhares has been destroyed like that before (though it was still impressive).

Munoz has fine standup. He could out box lombard. Lombar would hhave to be aggressive to get inside on mmunoz and that's where munoz could take him down. If lombard stays outside munoz could very well out strike him.

Im sorry I just dont agree. IMO Lombard destroys Munoz on the feet.

I think he might be, it depends how his fight with Okami goes, I don't think Okami has wrestling as good as Weidman but he is better than most and if Lombard can't stop Okami from outgrappling him he won't be able to stop Weidman, if he can, he might be a bad match up for Weidman and might beat him on the feet. Neither guy has really faced someone like the other.

Munoz out boxing and taking lombard down. holy fucking hell now i've seen it all.

i'd be willing to bet the house on lombard, just terrible match up for munoz.

weidman taking lombard to the later rounds and gassing out him out?, i highly doubt that, remember the maia vs weidman fight? they were already sloths from the 2nd round and on. I'm not saying lombard has better gas, i just think theyre evenly matched on all aspects of the game, just a slight adv. for lombard on the standup, I think lombard could (T)KO weidman in the 1st maybe 2nd if not than he will take a decision

He took the fight on like 9 days notice. He's not one of those guys who stays in great shape year around. Every fight he's had a full camp for in the UFC he's finished, and never came close to gassing.

Munoz out boxing and taking lombard down. holy fucking hell now i've seen it all.

i'd be willing to bet the house on lombard, just terrible match up for munoz.

I agree, Munoz doesn't have good takedowns and he is sloppier than Lombard with a much weaker chin, Munoz has strong TDD himself and is great at scrambling but it won't go to the ground unless Lombard wants it to and he would rather strike with Munoz.

I agree, Munoz doesn't have good takedowns and he is sloppier than Lombard with a much weaker chin, Munoz has strong TDD himself and is great at scrambling but it won't go to the ground unless Lombard wants it to and he would rather strike with Munoz.

yeah he's a clinch based wrestler, and not especially good at applying it in mma either.

Lombards clinch is far superior, and munoz striking is powerful but sloppy as shit.

really easy fight to pick

I think Weidman mauls Lombard. Hector's TDD isn't that good, in his 37 career fights he's never faced any elite wrestlers.

With Lombard, it's pretty simple. If he can get in his punching range, you are in trouble. No one has really been able to keep him on the end of their punches and kicks besides Boetsch. Weidman definitely has the range to keep him at bay, but it's easier than it looks because Lombard closes as fast as any fighter in MMA.

I haven't seen any of hector's TDD, but im pretty sure its not at the level of guys like Penn, GSP, Jones etc. I think Weidman will take him down comfortably in round 1 and will dominate him. This is just a bad match up for lombard.

Weidman has size to compliment his skills. Lombard's good also, but he's the smaller man. Short of a quick KO I think Weidman takes this the majority of the time.

I would actually pick Lombard for the upset in this one. I'm still not decided on Weidman as I think that lots of guys would of beat down Munoz viciously that night with how bad Munoz looked. Lombard has great takedown defence!!...and his power and speed would be too much for Weidman on the feet.

I think Weidman mauls Lombard. Hector's TDD isn't that good, in his 37 career fights he's never faced any elite wrestlers.

And who has Weidman fought that would make you think he could take down someone with the hips like Hector?

Lombard is a bad fight for most of the grapplers in the division, with the exception of Weidman. He's a fantastic wrestler and BJJ player that is still rapidly improving in all aspects of the game. His shots are timed perfectly and he covers A LOT of ground when shooting in unlike Sonnen who relies on his chin and relentless pressure to secure TD's. I don't think there's a MW on the ZUFFA roster that Weidman wouldn't be able to take down and keep down with the exception of Sonnen and Bisping on the keep down part.

And who has Weidman fought that would make you think he could take down someone with the hips like Hector?

He hasn't in MMA. But he was a 2 time D1 All-American, and he has very effectively adapted his wrestling to MMA. I think if he wants to take Hector down, he's going to.

Also, I agree with this guy:

Lombard is a bad fight for most of the grapplers in the division, with the exception of Weidman. He's a fantastic wrestler and BJJ player that is still rapidly improving in all aspects of the game. His shots are timed perfectly and he covers A LOT of ground when shooting in unlike Sonnen who relies on his chin and relentless pressure to secure TD's. I don't think there's a MW on the ZUFFA roster that Weidman wouldn't be able to take down and keep down with the exception of Sonnen and Bisping on the keep down part.

Lombard showed no gas tank against Tim Boetsch.. Weidman will grind him out on the floor.

Back