Is Lombard a bad match-up for Weidman?

of course, but he still knocked out veterans like jay silva and hung in there with mousassi, that says something. sometimes you need to look past the record and how it looks on paper, and watch the fighter fight. from there, judge.

so refreshing to read someone finally pointing this out.

i get so tired of hearing the "who has so-and-so beat?" argument?

i can watch someone hit a speed-bag, double-end bag, and heavy bag and spot certain undeniable skill sets, even though "the bag doesnt hit back".

Weidman is so overrated, I want him to fight Anderson just so everyone will realize this.

Weidman is so overrated, I want him to fight Anderson just so everyone will realize this.

I'll take it. At least you're willing to go get some. Most on your side keep coming up with imaginative ideas on why it shouldn't happen.

Possibly. We really haven't seen Weidman against any good strikers.

I'll take it. At least you're willing to go get some. Most on your side keep coming up with imaginative ideas on why it shouldn't happen.

i agree with him, but i wanna see Weidman win a few more,

FOR A DIFFERENT REASON.

because unless he does,

once AS drops him,

critics will then recategorize him as "unproven".

we both know those "not on our side" do this.

As a big fan of both guys, I say it's a bad matchup for both. Weidman (if they fight) has never faced a guy as good standing up as Lombard. Munoz and Maia combined don't have better stand-up than Lombard.

That being said, Weidman would probably be the best grappler Lombard has ever faced. And this is why I think the Okami match would show who would really be the favorite if this fight ever goes down (which is extremely likely actually since Weidman returns late spring/summer and Lombard fights Okami early March. If he beats Okami, Lombard easily gets a top 10 fight.)

I've watched a lot of Hector's fights, and the only ones I think he was taken down/beat on the ground were his only (real) 2 losses against Mousasi and Gono, and both were in his first 10 fights as a pro. He's fought other guys who have great jiu-jitsu and ground games like Palhares but can't take him down.

There's 2 mysteries here:

A. How good is Weidman's chin? We don't know really if he can take a punch and he hasn't been tested much as far as I know. And if he does have a great chin, could he still be overwhelmed with a TKO with Hector's REALLY fast hands?

B. Can Hector be taken down by a wrestler as good as Weidman? And if Weidman can, could he submit him?

If I had to guess, I'd say Hector would be able to stop Weidman's takedowns and keep it standing, possibly winning by (T)KO, or otherwise a probably lobsided decision.

If not, Weidman wins it maybe 9 times out of 10.

Funny thing is Lombard is better on the ground then Weidman actually Lombard is better at everything than Weidman

If I had to guess, I'd say Hector would be able to stop Weidman's takedowns and keep it standing, possibly winning by (T)KO, or otherwise a probably lobsided decision.

If not, Weidman wins it maybe 9 times out of 10.

thats a VERY STRONG PREDICTION.

im trying to figure out how to put that into an "if/then" parlay on 5 dimes...

im not finding an option that says "fighter A to win by their strong point, unless they don't, then fighter B wins by their strong point"...

but im gonna keep lookin.

Impossible to say. Lombard might stuff his shots and give him hell on the feet, or Weidman might throw him on his face and grapple rape him.

lomnard has great TDD? How great are we talking here. I personally don't see weidman having much trouble taking him down even when they're fresh. Lombard has a low center of gravity but he also moves very stiff. Weidman has the speed and stand up to set up a TD, and then shoot in quickly.

Weidman is a really big guy compared to Lombard....

If they were same size i'd bet my money on Lombard, cuz he would keep it standing and beat the shit out of Cris, but Weidman dwarfs him so badly that i just can't bet on the cuban.

If you can't beat Tim Boetsch it's not a good idea to fight Weidman.
This would even be more one sided than his fight against Munoz

wierd - he didn't have this big a fanbase until he beat Palhares ....but anyway lets not get too ahead of ourselves...weidman by UD

Back