Is LNP objectively any worse than slappy boxing and wall stalling?

LnP sucks.

I think what you're referring to is a grappling heavy match where both guys are constantly active.

There's always a place for a good grappling match in MMA, as there always should be, so long as the strategy isn't to just pin a guy down (oddly enough which is the objective in pro wrestling and actual wrestling).

You know, like grappling in order to try to submit the opponent (via tapout), (T)KO the opponent via striking, or improve your position to hopefully accomplish one of those two previously mentioned things.

That's why I appreciate guys like Jacare and Chael, but can't stand fighters like Lay Guida and Jake Shields.

Also, wall stalling is probably worse, which guys like Shields and that one Republican guy cut by the UFC who is in the WSOF do. The latter situation in their latest WSOF match was one of the worst things I've seen on television.

Are you talking about Jacob 'The Blanket' Volkmann?

It's not.

People just live with this fantasy that if we just eliminated this or changed the rule to this then all matches would be awesome. Which is not true. There will always be boring matches in every sport.

NBA has a lot of boring matches.
NHL has a lot of boring matches.
NFL has a lot of boring matches.
MLB never has anything but boring matches.

I'm glad you mentioned boring matches, because that's not the issue for fans, much of the time.
At least it's not the issue for me.

The issue is that judges heavily score stuff that we don't value very much. They also don't know much about grappling. They also score one of Edgar's love taps as heavily as they score a guy getting rocked, as a "significant" strike. They also score almost every round as a 10-9, whether it's basically even or one guy gets his ass kicked.
It's enormously unsatisfying.

Lay and prayers are much better than wall and stallers. At least lay and prayers can complete a fucking takedown.

Back