Is Lifting Currently a Waste of my Time?

nextgenneo

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am currently about 30-40 pounds overweight and have been on a 1400 calorie a day diet and been scaling up my running. Probably running 1-3 miles a day on average and doing some other cardio, + bjj twice a week.

I have never lifted so am currently not losing much muscle and plan on starting to do some basic lifting, squats, deadlifts, bench etc but feel like it'd be a waste of time currently with losing 2-3 pounds a week. Am I better off just waiting a few months til I lose all the extra weight and then starting lifting?

Thanks,
Kader

Hey guys,

I am currently about 30-40 pounds overweight and have been on a 1400 calorie a day diet and been scaling up my running. Probably running 1-3 miles a day on average and doing some other cardio, + bjj twice a week.

I have never lifted so am currently not losing much muscle and plan on starting to do some basic lifting, squats, deadlifts, bench etc but feel like it'd be a waste of time currently with losing 2-3 pounds a week. Am I better off just waiting a few months til I lose all the extra weight and then starting lifting?

Thanks,
Kader

If you're looking to gain weight, you should lift.
If you're looking to lose weight, you should lift.
If you're trying to stay the same weight, you should lift.

See a pattern here? :)

Start now, lifting heavy weights will help you lose weight.

You're probably wasting your time in not lifting. You're gonna get weaker and weaker as long as you stay on that stupid 1400 calorie diet.

You're probably wasting your time in not lifting. You're gonna get weaker and weaker as long as you stay on that stupid 1400 calorie diet.

Also this, 1400 calories is quite low. Very likely too low for you. Yes there is such a thing as too few calories. Go check out the diet and supplement section and get your diet right.

It seems that all the literature I've read says that if you are losing weight unless your on steroids you can't gain muscle mass or strength. Having said that you can maintain you level of strength. Seeing thought I currently have no muscle or strength I have nothing to maintain.

Also this, 1400 calories is quite low. Very likely too low for you. Yes there is such a thing as too few calories. Go check out the diet and supplement section and get your diet right.

And regarding my 1400 calorie diet its base 1400 + whatever I burn doing cardio so if I run 3 miles and do bjj I'll eat 2200ish.

It seems that all the literature I've read says that if you are losing weight unless your on steroids you can't gain muscle mass or strength. Having said that you can maintain you level of strength. Seeing thought I currently have no muscle or strength I have nothing to maintain.

Unless you are fat or a beginner. Which you are both. Now start lifting.

This is correct to an extent if you've been lifting for a long time. As a novice, you can gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously. Also, lifting while cutting will help you lose weight faster than if you weren't.

If you're looking to gain weight, you should lift.
If you're looking to lose weight, you should lift.
If you're trying to stay the same weight, you should lift.

See a pattern here? :)

Thats some sig worthy shit right there.

1 chalked hands applause to you sir.

You can definitely gain strength while losing fat (and muscle mass). I say "you", because I mean "you" in particular, not the population in general.

Since you have never lifted before, a big portion of your gains are going to come from your brain figuring out how to tell your muscles how to work together in order to lift a heavy thing. The improvement isn't going to come from making a bigger muscle, but simply by developing better coordination.

You are not wasting your time, because once you've lost the weight, you'll want to focus on building muscle mass to help you keep the fat off. Having worked on the basic exercises and trained your CNS to tell your muscles to lift properly will absolutely pay off.

you 5'1" if taller your not eating enough.

the more muscle you have the more calories you will burn.

lift like a motherfucker, then do 3 cardio workouts a week, you do martial arts twice, thats 2 add in a fartlek one week speed training the next and something like rowing the third and repeat.

According to Mark Rippletoe, overweight beginners improve quickest of all. Go massive, workout-by-workout linear gains!

Fat turns to muscle faster than building muscle on it's own. Just continue your running, diet, martial arts, oh and lift like there's no tomorrow. Lifting will convert your fat to muscle. Muscle burns more calories, but is also heavier, but really who cares your stronger and likely more jacked looking.

Lifting is never a waster of time, it only becomes a waste of time when you go into a workout with an effortless attitude, and a lack determination to pass your goals.

Fat turns to muscle faster

Fat does not turn into muscle. Fat is made of lipids. Muscle is made primarily of proteins. The body can use protein for fuel, and therefore use it's energy to increase bodyfat, but the reverse isn't true.

Lifting is never a waster of time, it only becomes a waste of time when you go into a workout with an effortless attitude, and a lack determination to pass your goals.

I lift at a public gym, and can assure you that lifting can be a waste of time when you have poor routines. I see young people in there who give 110% during their 2 hour arm workouts. They don't have poor attitude or determination, they just aren't doing things that are going to get them to their goals.

TS, of course you should start lifting now.

If you have low expectations, fine. But get in the weight room and start learning the exercises and practice. Focus on learning good form and don't ramp up the weight too quick. Try to keep it fun.

If you're concerned about not being able to lift heavy enough, forget it. Come up with a strength routine and use whatever poundages will work.

If you're concerned about being unable to add muscle mass, I'd say don't worry about it. Not now, anyway. If you're happy with your cardio regimen and you want to add lifting, then do what you can.

Fat turns to muscle faster than building muscle on it's own. Just continue your running, diet, martial arts, oh and lift like there's no tomorrow. Lifting will convert your fat to muscle. Muscle burns more calories, but is also heavier, but really who cares your stronger and likely more jacked looking.

Pretty much the most retarded post I've read on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back