Is Leonardo DiCaprio's acting skills overrated?

Wolf changed my opinion on him a lot because he dropped all sense of dignity, performed some of the best slapstick I've ever seen and made me laugh. It was by far the funniest movie of that year and it wasn't even a comedy.

thought he was exceptionally good in that movie w/ Russel Crowe (body of lies?), but he's just decent in general

also he was legit in Basketball Diaries (well not his on the court stuff)

The only real criticism I have for Leo is that he does too many rags to riches roles. Some may call this a criticism but I don't really think it is, is that he is selective. (with roles, and who he works with). Does it come at the expense of possibly passing up surprisingly successful movies, maybe, but I think he has been in the game long enough to be selective.

What I think is his greatest strength is his consistency. He doesn't really have a movie where you can clearly tell he phoned it in.

I think he's a great actor, he's right there with Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, and Denzel Washington imo...

He got better. He used to be seen as a boyband reject now he can act like a tough guy and people buy it.

I don't consider him must-watch nor am I impressed much by what he adds to the film overall. He's good at drawing attention to his face. He capitalizes a lot on mimicking Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson. Audiences like his brand of antagonism, the Young Rebel, which is a very American archetype. I think he's competent and serviceable, but I feel he peaked with TITANIC. Like DDL, he veers too far into conspicuous acting territory so we tend to lose focus on the movie and concentrate too much on lauding the single performance.

Just like being in good movies doesn't mean good acting , being in bad movies does not mean bad acting. Just means he is bankrupt, and needs some cheddar.
Hehe, Cage is really good when he is good. But that guy has some serious good to terrible acting range. One movie he is on Gary Oldmans level, two movies later he is one step above Tommy Wiseau.

He has been in movies where he deserved an oscar, funny how the movie he did win in an oscar in is one of the films where I don't think he deserved it. Hardy did better than him in his own movie.

He has been in movies where he deserved an oscar, funny how the movie he did win in an oscar in is one of the films where I don't think he deserved it. Hardy did better than him in his own movie.
As a testament to how good Tom Hardy is, at first I was like, "DiCaprio didn't win an Oscar for INCEPTION --- oh shit, Hardy WAS in THE REVENANT, wasn't he?" Fucking chameleon, that man.

Did you like To Catch Me If You Can? He was still quite young when that was filmed, around 25. I feel his career has fallen off a bit in the last decade. Maybe not his fault, but I feel some of the movies I thought would be great, were let downs.

Inception
Shutter Island
Great Gatsby
J Edgar
The Revenant
Django (I also havent liked a QT movie in a while, so not blaming Leo there)

He acted well in all of these no doubt, just the movies didn't come together well for me.

The only movie I have really liked since Blood Diamond has been The Wolf of Wall Street. Despite his accent, I really like Blood Diamond also.
Shutter Island? It's one of my favourite movies and his acting in that movie is incredible at times. The scene towards the end where he realises what's going on, and thinks back as he's sitting on the bed (without spoiling anything) . That didn't feel like acting, it felt like it was real. The move generally has a very somber and melancholic feel to it, which I like.

Hehe, Cage is really good when he is good. But that guy has some serious good to terrible acting range. One movie he is on Gary Oldmans level, two movies later he is one step above Tommy Wiseau.

Haha yes. I guess the guy I was talking with would have a point if he said Leo was much more consistent, tho Cage has been in dozens of more movies.. But I do feel it is arguable that they are similar tier of acting talent.

Shutter Island? It's one of my favourite movies and his acting in that movie is incredible at times. The scene towards the end where he realises what's going on, and thinks back as he's sitting on the bed (without spoiling anything) . That didn't feel like acting, it felt like it was real. The move generally has a very somber and melancholic feel to it, which I like.

I remember thinking he did well in it, just the the movie was convoluted, because it tried to hard to blow the mind of the audience, which set up some plot holes. I am actually surprised, looking at IMDB and the movie has an 8.1??? Maybe I need to revisit it. I only saw it once, and don't remember it to well.

Good, not great. He only started to impress me recently with Wolf of Wall Street where he showed some range. I've always likes his movies but he never struck me as one of the greats acting wise. He just picked good movies.

He is no Gary Oldman, DDL, Tim Curry, or Nic Cage. He just does his thing. There are plenty of character actors out there that are better than the A-listers. But they just are not marketable.

A lot of the movies he is in, you can literally replace him with anyone like Ryan Gosling, or Jake Gillianhall. He is like the Tom Cruise of dramas.

I don't consider him a great actor. He's basically himself in every single movie.

What he does have is amazing screen presence, along with being REALLY fucking good at picking movie roles.

I've seen whats eating gilbert grape too before anyone tries to convince me otherwise.

He is no Gary Oldman, DDL, Tim Curry, or Nic Cage. He just does his thing. There are plenty of character actors out there that are better than the A-listers. But they just are not marketable.

A lot of the movies he is in, you can literally replace him with anyone like Ryan Gosling, or Jake Gillianhall. He is like the Tom Cruise of dramas.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was getting at.

Sympathy Oscar. WoWS was his real Best Actor.

Back