is Kickboxing Overrated

Kickboxing is a super fragmented sport with very limited popularity.

little money=little talent.

Plenty of MMA fighters would be very successful if they committed to competing in kickboxing and we already have notable examples of this happening.

MMA fighters would get slaughtered by the top

These guys are talented strikers

Few examples...then posts the same thing over and over again lol...

Kickboxing is just as valid as any other striking style , it comes down to the practitioner to apply correctly for MMA and there own fighting style
Except that many striking arts are less valid than others.

Some kickboxers have made the transition decently but others have done horrendously in MMA. I think a Karate kickboxing background is actually better than regular kickboxing for transitioning to MMA, mainly because of the small gloves. Pereira would probably get strached in MMA meanwhile Izzy is champ.

Izzy and wonderboy both have good movement and don't rely on using a guard like most kickboxers. Kickboxers tend to keep a tight guard and try to smash their opponent, the guard isn't that effective with little MMA gloves.

I think it boils down to that. The K1 Style of fighting has shaped what KB is today. It is essentially based on throwing combos and using some tight guard to protect.

This is not really adapted to MMA gloves.

Interestingly, ONE does watered down MT with MMA gloves and it does not look that much different from stadium MT.

It’s 2 different sports, I’m a kickboxer and I crossed over to mma after I’ve had around 10 kb fights. The whole thing is different! Mma distance is different, gloves are different, you have to watch out for takedowns And clinch all the time! Now when I spar in kickboxing I’m way less effective than before I started mma, because now my stand up is more developed around mma and small gloves. It’s apples and oranges, mma and kickboxing are so different that even though you have great kickboxing it doesn’t mean that you have awesome mma striking for the get go.

MMA is overrated. There's always kickboxing rejects that become top MMA or UFC champs but never MMA guys that become top kickboxers/muay thai champs.
How are Adesanya and Overeem “kickboxing rejects”?

I love when people say "oh no headmovement" in kickboing, lol. Do you want kickboxers dead?

What a lot of striking purists dont want to admit is that MMA striking is a completely different skill than boxing, kickboxing, or thai boxing.

The small gloves and takedowns completely change the game. One big example is that you really can't rely on blocking anything, its all about movement in MMA. Look at TJ Dillashaw, Cruz, or Machida.. none of those styles would compete in a boxing match, but they would likely light up most in an MMA fight

Yup. Kickboxers and muay thai fighters have a tall stance and throw a lot of kicks. That shit gets you taken down in an MMA fight

Adesanya and Volkanovski did pretty well. Both from the same kickboxing gym in Australia.

But it depends on the fighter tbh

Adesanya 1st tier

Rozenstruik 3rd tier

Oezdemir 4th tier at most (he only fought Mahieddine, who at that time was young and the match probably earned in Superkombat "worst fight of the night" and certainly one of the worst of the season from what I watched)

Gane (he was a Muay Thai fighter, not a kickboxer, and in Muay Thai he only faced a hamburger who was their world champion but in Muay Thai there are no heavyweights, only midgets; Gane still leaves me the impression of a much better stand up fighter than Oezdemir, pretty talented but highly untested and not grown up)

lol

you can post examples of any style being beaten. Are ALL STYLES overrated?

If you ask me, the UFC has never been poorer. Miocic is not a great champion like Velasquez or JDS were in their primes. His match with Cormier was a joke of a title fight.

UFC is a disgrace if a fighter like Blachowicz now is a "champion". The Asian have been also penetrating, but do you think they are good? We see in ONE Championship MMA is still poor in Asia. Underdeveloped. Also heavyweights from France, Spain and Moldova, even Austria, when in Europe there is no real MMA. :) They would have died to go to train in the Netherlands even for MMA. And the Dutchmen in MMA still have big limits compared to the BJJ and not only. Netherlands besides kickboxing is not known as a combat country, with a very mediocre boxing and not only.

The others are penetrating in the UFC, because the Americans are poor now, including the Brazilians. And just think at Russia how small is offering to the world of MMA now. Being the only in Europe good at MMA and close to you. MMA is considered being violent by the Europeans.

Wasn"t Volkov beaten by Tony Johnson? 31-year old Johnson lost to a 4th tier from Poland in kickboxing. Round 1, awful debut.

Kickboxing is global, MMA not. The kickboxers have much better striking and are so much better in stand up fighting.

Has anyone solved the mystery of why Arlvoksi finishing Bigfoot was posted?

Kickboxing is a super fragmented sport with very limited popularity.

little money=little talent.

In contrast MMA is highly more organized and offers far more money.

Therefore, the quality of participants is vastly superior and since kickboxing is a part of MMA you end up with a ton of high level kickboxers who committed themselves to MMA without going through the kickboxing circuit first.

Plenty of MMA fighters would be very successful if they committed to competing in kickboxing and we already have notable examples of this happening.
kickboxing like K-1 is a washed down version of muay thai.
I think Dutch kickboxing is far more superior than other kickboxing style arts, as it incorporates western boxing and muay thai techniques. More MMA fighters need to learn this style of striking.

I love when people say "oh no headmovement" in kickboing, lol. Do you want kickboxers dead?
I think people are referring to slipping punches and kicks. You do know Thai fighters dodge head kicks right. In K-1 there is no need to slip punches, as you just cover up tight and spam legs kicks and 1-2 combos..

"Kickboxing"

Such a generic ill-defined and borderline ambiguous term. Kickboxing is as much of its own martial art as MMA is. There are so many variables to discuss here. As mentioned, a guy like Izzy who relies on movement rather than high guard and gloves for defense has much more success in mma.

Also I don't agree with this thread. We've seen plenty of BJJ, wrestlers and boxers get starched in mma as well. Sandhagen also comes from a kickboxing background and we saw what he has been doing lately.

Last edited:
Back