Is Khabib vs Tony the most competitive divisional matchup that's ever happened?

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
If you take strictly from a divisional standpoint (not moving weight class/etc), is this the most dominant display of two fighters in a weight class that have yet to fight each other?

Ferguson is on an 11 fight win streak with 1 loss mostly because of a broken arm.

Khabib is undefeated.

I'd say the closest thing IMO was Jones vs D.C 1.

Jones vs DC, these guys are also in p4p GOAT conversation.
Khabib and Tony still need to establish themselves as the best LWs ever.

On paper maybe. In reality, Khabib walks through him.

No, I would say it's second after Jones vs. DC 1.

On paper maybe. In reality, Khabib walks through him.

Nope. Hope we get to see it so you can be wrong (but your consolation prize for being wrong will be getting to watch a great fight so you don't really "lose").

Jones - Gus, born same year. Both top of the lhw for years.

Nope. Hope we get to see it so you can be wrong (but your consolation prize for being wrong will be getting to watch a great fight so you don't really "lose").
Khabib's grappling is on such a high level that the only way i see him losing is from a KO and Tony wont KO him. But who knows....

when i think about it, honestly Whitaker-Romero both fights were awesome and both competitors starched their competition

Fedor vs Big Nog and Jones vs DC are probably the two that come to mind first, but no one should be dismissive of how, resume wise and win streak wise, this would be one of the most competitive fights to happen in MMA.

Too bad it's cursed and the only time Tony and Khabib make it to fight night on the same card is when they aren't fighting each other.

I'd have Aldo vs Holloway high on the list tho Conor took a bit of shine off that one.

As far as UFC wins go, when's the last time two fighters have faced each other with a streak as long as theirs?

If you take strictly from a divisional standpoint (not moving weight class/etc), is this the most dominant display of two fighters in a weight class that have yet to fight each other?

Ferguson is on an 11 fight win streak with 1 loss mostly because of a broken arm.

Khabib is undefeated.

I'd say the closest thing IMO was Jones vs D.C 1.
On paper it seems to be one of the best. I can't forget what Lee did to Tony though but I'm not sure how much of that was Tony accepting being off his back.

Khabib and Tony still need to establish themselves as the best LWs ever.
I don't know man, I feel they are pretty damn close to cementing that if they haven't already.

No.

Every time the UFC finally makes the right fucking fight we're always so mind blown that it's happening.

It's a good fight and it's the right fight, but let's slow it down for once.

We still don't know whether it will be competitive. You point to their records, but the similar forecasts could have been made for Machida-Evans based on their records and their fight out turned not to be competitive.

Khabib's grappling is on such a high level that the only way i see him losing is from a KO and Tony wont KO him. But who knows....

I've been saying this for a long time and keep repeating it...but it's still true: cardio matters. A lot.

You are right. Khabib does have amazing grappling. I've followed MMA for 19 years now. Hes probably the best 2 round fighter I've ever seen. Nobody can stop what he does while he's fresh. But he DOES slow down. He did a bit vs Barboza and that was a 3 round fight. He did clearly vs Iaquinta. He took round 3 off vs Conor to catch his breath after trying to finish in rd 2.

Now the other guy...

Ferguson is much better off his back than any of the guys Khabib has recently fought. He will make Khabib work harder than they did. I have little doubt Khabib will win round 1, and likely round 2. After that? He will have to deal with a cardio machine that doesn't give you a round off. And that's where I think the fight likely changes. Elite grappling means little if you are exhausted and your opponent is just getting started.

Cars don't run without fuel

That will be the way for Tony
It will be a hard task but Khabib has shown signs of slowing down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back