Is Kevin Lee any more evolved than Coleman/Randleman?

Quite living in the past friend. The sport has evolved immensely since Coleman and Randleman were relevant.
Great..Great... but are ya sure ya really know about these skill sets ya´re dismissin´?

Title says it all. Kevin Lee was apparently going to beat Khabib 6 months ago. And MMA has apparently evolved so much in the last 15-20 years. So surely a modern day LW/WW would be way more advanced than an ancient HW? Especially a notoriously limited HW like Hammerhouse produced.

Wrestling? Coleman and Randleman are at worst equal to Lee here. At worst

Striking? Again pretty equal. Randleman KOd Cro Cop. What has Lee ever done on the feet?

BJJ? None of them can even spell BJJ so again pretty even.

Cardio? Again non existent for all 3.

Ive just realised... Kevin Lee is Team Hammerhouse. Holy shit!

I agree, a common misconception is that fighters have gotten better. I don’t agree with that if anything they’ve gotten worst.

I agree, a common misconception is that fighters have gotten better. I don’t agree with that if anything they’ve gotten worst.
It depends on which division we're talking about. Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight are notoriously worse than back in the day, MW could be argued has remained as top heavy as it has ever been, but WW and below have gotten much better on average imo.

The top players of each generation would have a spot in the top 15, but you can't say that those lower weight classes have gotten worse.

randleman was so badass that he had his own theme song

The only evolution in MMA happened from the 90s to the 2000s. Since the 2005ish era, elite fighters are no different than they were 15 years ago.
Hell in the heavier divisions they're worse atm.

Lee is phenomenal on the ground before he gets tired. It's extremely impressive, how he's been able to get his guard passing to back take to RNC sequence to such a high level at his age. I don't think I've ever seen anyone in MMA be as effective with the double under guard pass as he is. Dude's ahead of the curve for wrestlers of his own generation, let alone some guys from Hammer House who had a ridiculously primitive understanding of BJJ. Sometimes I think he's just such a powerhouse and takedowns come so easily to him early on in fights that he almost starts to look deceptively one dimensional. He just hasn't caught up defensively yet.

Top 5? He’s clearly never been better than Khabib, Tony, Dustin, Justin, Mcg, Cowboy or Al. I’d even favor other LWs over Kevin. Kevin has trash cardio, ok striking at best and 1 good round in him before he’s a slow prodding target. Lee is one of the most overrated fighter I can recall in recent memory.
Beating Barboza definitely inflated his ranking

Lee choked out Chiesa, black belt Trinaldo, and mounted Ferg

Obviously his BJJ is better

It depends on which division we're talking about. Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight are notoriously worse than back in the day, MW could be argued has remained as top heavy as it has ever been, but WW and below have gotten much better on average imo.

The top players of each generation would have a spot in the top 15, but you can't say that those lower weight classes have gotten worse.

I disagree, I would only say MW has gotten better. Plenty of guys who were never able to become champ back in the day would be able to nowadays hypothetically if they were still in their prime. Especially at WW.

What a goofy comparison. I guess Lee's striking is better than either of them but nowhere near the grappling/ mutant strength. It must be opposite day up in here

Yes. Much more.

He was arguably Top 5 at LW---the deepest class, in 2018.

Coleman and Randleman would likely lose to every HW on the roster...and HW has always sucked.
This is not true at all. Kevin Randleman could absolutely starch some these fat HW "strikers". You don't think Mark Coleman could take down Greg Hardy or Derek Lewis? They both beat Mark Hunt blindfolded.

Dude's problem is his low IQ. He is the male R. Honda. Doesn't see the need to change because he had success previously. Thinks grunting and doing the same thing just a little harder will work. Same shit attitude they try to play off as acting. Actually, Lee needs to replace Travis and produce some babies. The offspring would take over MMA...in 1993...and then lose by 1994.

I disagree, I would only say MW has gotten better. Plenty of guys who were never able to become champ back in the day would be able to nowadays hypothetically if they were still in their prime. Especially at WW.
Could you at least name them? WW is the one I have the most issue with since Jon Fitch was the no.2 guy for a long time, and both Usman and Colby are better versions of him. Shit, skillwise I'd favor them over Shields too.

Why do I say that? Because neither Jon nor Jake were the strongest of defensive wrestlers. I guess Hughes is a guy that I could see tussling with the top 5, but again, stronger wrestlers would be his undoing.

The only evolution in MMA happened from the 90s to the 2000s. Since the 2005ish era, elite fighters are no different than they were 15 years ago.
Hell in the heavier divisions they're worse atm.
Good grief

Name a single fighter from that era that would be a champion today........Are we done?

Coleman was an Olympic wrestler.

Wht the fuck has Lee done?

Yes. Much more.

He was arguably Top 5 at LW---the deepest class, in 2018.

Coleman and Randleman would likely lose to every HW on the roster...and HW has always sucked.
Would they really though? HW is a division full of aging one dimensional fighters so I find it unlikely they couldn't trade wins and loses outside the top 5.

more "evolved"? of course he is. the comparisons between current stars and the elite of 15+ years ago need to stop. it was a different era back then. no different to comparing basketball of the 50's to nowadays. the game is miles apart. way more evolved nowadays.

Great..Great... but are ya sure ya really know about these skill sets ya´re dismissin´?
Pretty sure
I was training at the same time as Coleman and Randleman. At that time we had 3 legit fighters at my gym. 2 were fighting pro fights, and one was good enough to go pro but had head problems. To my knowledge, there is now around 10 legit fighters training at that same gym in Texas now, and more gyms keep popping up nationally by the day. There's more people competing, and the training is much better = more well rounded fighters out there.

Back