Is Kayla Harrison (Olympic Judoka) a legit prospect?

Womens judo is much harder and competitive than womens wrestling, especially when McMann competed - Kayla has been chiseled through high level international tournaments for years. Judo is also a rougher sport than wrestling more high amplitude throws and submission holds etc.

Judo is the wrestling of women's grappling arts. Deepest, most competitive talent pool that has been around at an international level longer.

Not saying that Harrison can make the transition, but she's got a hell of a competitive edge if she can.

Kayla Harrison just won gold in Women's Judo. 78k.

Cpmo-O1UEAAk37D.jpg

Could be. I mean, strong, great grappling. Knows a few subs, at least. I am sure she could transition easier than a lot of people, largely because of the mentality that drove her to win and Olympic Gold Medal.

Twice.

I get that there's probably more money in Judo than in MMA, but a what a waste of talent would be if she transitioned to MMA. 2x Olympic gold medalist. She deserves better than the circus the UFC has become and being Dana White's de facto employee.

"After a match in judo, you shake a person's hand or you give them a hug. You bow to them to show respect. MMA isn't like that. I don't know if I'm cut out for a world where you get fights based on how pretty you are and how much you talk, not necessarily what you've done in the ring." http://www.espn.com/olympics/judo/s...olympic-judo-title-women-78-kilogram-division
Real money offers changes that bullshit nice & quick , no way she see's Ronda with her millions of dollars off arm baring secretaries & is not like I want me some of that.

Harrison would destroy Cyborg at 155 lbs even without training any striking at all, no way in hell that Cyborg would knock her out before clinching.
Cyborg made it to an ADCC final she can survive a judoka

Since the Rousey era? That was like five minutes ago

Who says this lady is even interested in the UFC?

What is Cyborg supposed to do when they clinch, pull guard? Oh wait, this is Sherdog, never mind then...
Cyborg can probably double leg or single she just outwrestled a brazilian olympic wrestler and she grappled with the worlds best in ADCC.

Cyborg can probably double leg or single she just outwrestled a brazilian olympic wrestler and she grappled with the worlds best in ADCC.

Not impressed at all, I have seen Cyborg grapple before and she is not in Kaylas league - not even in the league below or below that again! Cyborgs agressive style is easy to handle for a judoka of Harrisons caliber, she will be thrown directly into a pin and then either get submitted very fast or pounded into TKO.

They could fight in two months from now at 155 lbs and Harrison would most certainly win imo. Its not probable at all that Cyborg would knock her out with one punch which is her best chance anyway. I'll give Cyborg max two minutes before its all over.

I think Travis Stevens could have some success if he starts training striking. He won silver for the US. Also has a BJJ black belt on top of the Judo and a Hendo-like demeanor.

travis_stevens_2016_olympics_usatsi_9439776.jpg

If it was an Olympic wrestler no one would question their prospect nature in MMA despite wrestling not having submissions and Judo having them.

Newsflash Olympic Judoka in 1991 could probably have smashed Royce, could they have beaten the others in UFC 1? I don't know Royce did something special that night.

Back