Is Karo Parisyan one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time?

HOF for sure, I love me some Karo Parsnipianish. His fight with Reggie Warren is legendary.

I would say yes. Let's take look at the illustruous career of this legend.

Firstly he has defeated Serra and Chonan, two fighters who destroyed GSP and Anderson Silva respectively.

Secondly, pre-Serra GSP, the killer who was head-kicking and armbaring the likes of Matt Hughes, could only manage a measily decision against Karo.

Thirdly, while everyone talks about Ronda's judo, let's take a moment to remember Karo's judo. He ragdolled Nick Diaz and essentially got him kicked out of the UFC, the same Nick Diaz that KO'd the current WW champ and arguably defeated GSP and Silva.

I will not delve into plethora of other reasons (including: WEC champion; destruction of the Dong; and knocking Phil Boroni into retirement), but evidence suggests Karo is the elite of the elite and HOF worthy.

Thoughts?

I think you should avoid doing MMAMATH , you suck at it....

Karo for years was one of my favorite fighters. I stuck by him through thick and thin. Was so excited when he came back to the UFC in 2010. That didn't work out but I still stuck by him as a fan. It was only when I saw him fighting a match in a parking lot (2013?) that I abandoned him. He's still young, at 33, so ya never know what might happen.

Funny thing is I hated him when he beat Nick, but then I came to my senses and realized he was just a better fighter that night. Does anyone remember the Karo/Nick times when Nate said something about Karo being his uncle or something? Was a long time ago like 2004.

Karo for years was one of my favorite fighters. I stuck by him through thick and thin. Was so excited when he came back to the UFC in 2010. That didn't work out but I still stuck by him as a fan. It was only when I saw him fighting a match in a parking lot (2013?) that I abandoned him. He's still young, at 33, so ya never know what might happen.

Funny thing is I hated him when he beat Nick, but then I came to my senses and realized he was just a better fighter that night. Does anyone remember the Karo/Nick times when Nate said something about Karo being his uncle or something? Was a long time ago like 2004.

lol what?

lol what?

Yea, Nate wasn't even in the UFC yet but for w/e reason they gave him airtime (or maybe it was an online video). He said something like "It sucks that Karo Parysian is my uncle" or maybe he said "It would suck if Karo was my uncle." I remember it happening but I don't remember the exact words and it's been bothering me for like 11 years. I've googled and all kinds of stuff looking for that interview but no luck. I know it sounds weird but it happened.

Karo is not one of the best, but he is very under-rated, IMO. He really demonstrated how effective Judo could be, in MMA.

People had been doing that shit for about 20 years prior to him. He was the first one in the UFC to consistently pull it off well. I even saw a few guys before him that were alright with their Judo skills. Half the japanese mma fighters are judo based.

Your MMA math is totally right TS . Karo is definitely hall of fame material .

I agree, he really had a talent for using his judo to his advantage, and he was really tough physically as well. Go watch some old fights whippersnappers.:icon_chee

If I remember he was gonna fight Hughes but hurt his knee, from then on it was either drugs or anxiety that got him. I really feel bad for the guy....

Pretty good read, TS. Thanks for sharing.

Karo was damn good and could have been great had HE not derailed his career. Shame.

If he could put together a win streak these days that would be nice.

Nick/Karo fight is one of my favorite fights ever.....but Karo never got far.

Karo was legit but he was kinda wasted potential.

His gas tank was always something that wasn't to be desired.

And his fight against Diego was one of the most exciting fights to see.

Back