Is (Karate) wrestling's kryptonite?

MMA is like rock paper and scissors, except sometimes fighter bring to octagon all 3 of them.

wonderboy had that side stance which makes it difficult to take down and he was very active in the striking department.

Takedown defense is wrestling kryptonite

Footwork is shooting kryptonite.

Cant shoot what you can't grab.

Stephen has evolved his excellent striking for MMA. It took time and a lot of effort on his part.

Uhh, not really. Stephen is just that good standing and has put the work he needs to help defend the takedown. The takedown was there and he defended it and deflated Johny right there.

striking combined with tdd is the grapplers kryptonite.

I think that's why Chuck Liddell looked unstoppable for so long. He was facing grapplers who couldn't take him down and who had less than elite striking. Then as the sport caught up to him/as he aged out of it he was getting tko'd left and right.

I see Thompson like Machida. He's got such a unique style that guys aren't ready for which makes it effective. Soon enough someone will figure out how to counter it or he'll lose some of his athletic ability as age creeps up on him. As it was with Chuck, Anderson, Machida, and other fighters with unique styles....we just need to enjoy it while it lasts. A wonder boy title run will be exciting as fuck.

It might help because karate stylists operate at a long distance, and if a striker like that develops decent / good grappling and is already light on their feet, the two skills probably combine to make a strong antidote against wrestling. I wouldn't call it kryptonite, but the style of karate is perhaps better against wrestlers than other striking styles when paired with some good grappling training.

You gotta have better than decent TDD. Wrestling is Karate's kryptonite more than anything. But yeah, if you're able to neutralize the grappling advantage, then it's obvious that you'd have the striking advantage. That's why guys are working so hard on their TDD. But the point karate style does have the advantage of distance management. So it's not just decent TDD, it's above average TDD, good footwork, and good distance management. Karate doesn't have those things naturally built in. Not all boxers box the same. Not all karate guys fight the same.

Back