Is jury duty a necessary evil?

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 159002

Just about every I know hates jury duty. Is there any way we could do away with it without doing more harm than good?

yeah, lets give up having a jury of your peers. sounds great

We should just bite the bullet and pay jurors a decent professional wage with benefits.

I see no reason why judges and prosecutors should be so well compensated by the state but not the jurors.

Its a duty that you and all citizens should be required to perform when called.

However some changes need to be made.

First employers should be required to pay your normal pay when you serve on jury duty. However they should be able to write off your pay on their taxes.

First employers should be required to pay your normal pay when you serve on jury duty. However they should be able to write off your pay on their taxes.

Changes definitely have to be made. At least one of the court houses in my area where people get summoned to attend jury duty has terrible parking options. Your options are metered spots on the street or garages that you have to pay to use. It's fucking bullshit.

jury duty is a civic duty, it's literally the only requirement for living in this country. that and pay your taxes.

it's really not asking for a lot. time to grow up and take on grown up responsibilities.

I actually love sitting in the Jury box when the case is interesting. That and I also got paid to be there, so win-win!

Then again, I also have absolutely no problem with the OTHER civic duty of paying taxes, when I see it's being put to good use every day (streets being repaired, freeways being renovated, public schools being upgraded, etc).

The last time I was chosen, two giant corporations were going at it over tens of millions of dollars in liabilities/damages, and I learned a lot about legal strategies after each round of skirmishes.

Absolutely! Private Contractors should get to claim tax deductions for those hours as well.

Changes definitely have to be made. At least one of the court houses in my area where people get summoned to attend jury duty has terrible parking options. Your options are metered spots on the street or garages that you have to pay to use. It's fucking bullshit.

That's real bullshit right there.

With the Juror batch clipped on our shirt, us Californians actually get to park in the government parking lot/structure right next to the federal court house, where the court employees park!

Last edited:
jury duty is a civic duty, it's literally the only requirement for living in this country. that and pay your taxes.

it's really not asking for a lot. time to grow up and take on grown up responsibilities.

You forgot something.

selective-service.jpg

Anyways, fuck jury duty, not gonna do it. I have bills to pay.

You forgot something.

selective-service.jpg

Anyways, fuck jury duty, not gonna do it. I have bills to pay.

Then get a grown up job where your company pays you if you have jury duty. Probably has to be something better than minimum wage job though.

Then get a grown up job where your company pays you if you have jury duty. Probably has to be something better than minimum wage job though.
I am an electrician. I am sure some minimum wage worker will be fine to fill a jury though. I see no reason to make my own life and the lives of my coworkers harder.

Pay would be the only thing that would prevent me from actually wanting to participate. Currently, I'm covered in that instance, but in a different situation It would be a deal breaker.

Jury Duty is a civic duty and an honorable task. People who avoid it are selfish shirkers who aren't willing to play their role in society, and have forgone their right to complain about the injustices that result.

I have a 10 mile trip to the court house and it takes over an hour to get there because of the traffic. Parking cost is $20 IF you can even find a spot at their garage. Waste of my time, and waste of my money since who in their right mind is going to put a cop on a jury?

Jury nullification... enough said.

Who the fuck has jury duty. Motherfuckers with a purpose don't do that shit. Jury duty is for idiots

I am an electrician. I am sure some minimum wage worker will be fine to fill a jury though. I see no reason to make my own life and the lives of my coworkers harder.

if you are ever accused of a crime then and demand a trial, i hope you have the integrity to waive your right to a jury trial and just accept a bench trial.

not that you would, b/c like magic, people suddenly care about their rights and fairness in the system when it's their asses on the line.

Jury Duty is a civic duty and an honorable task. People who avoid it are selfish shirkers who aren't willing to play their role in society, and have forgone their right to complain about the injustices that result.

Jury duty is for house wives and goobers.

The numbers on how few people elect for a jury trial are surprisingly low. But we shouldn't give up the people's check against judicial power.

Back