Is Ju-Jitsu dead or dying?

Proteus900

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've seen comments over the past few months on the forums here that ju-jits is dead in MMA. Particularly in relation to wrestling being drastically better. I'm curious if people think that this is really the case or simply that wrestlers are able to start at a much younger age in most places? I don't know of any elementary schools in the US with a ju-jitsu program, but youth wrestling programs are fairly common. Is it simply that the strengths of JJ are based in being able to surprise your opponent with it and no one is really surprised anymore? I'd like to think that there is no one style of MMA that really just trumps all others but it is looking more and more the case. Can anyone think of good reasons to refute the claim that Ju-jitsu is ending it's time in MMA.

Dead or dying- No
Having its growth slowed a little- Maybe, but slow growth is still growth.

American grappling will always be wrestler dominant. Kids start at a young age, its cheaper, more widespread and it gets you more chicks in HS.

the thread title reminds me of the Colbert Report when he would ask Democratic party members "President Bush, great president or greatest president?"

I think that it's all going to mold together in the next 10 years. There will be some traditionalists but the most successful people that compete in grappling will be hybrid grapplers.

mma works in trends, at first it was jiu-jitsu or submission grappling, then we saw wrestlers start to have dominance then people began to sprawl and brawl and for a while strikers emerged again and then there was a period of everything and now we're seeing lots of striking wrestlers. but iron sharpens iron and everyone will keep making eachother get better at weaker points. if strikers and wrestlers are at the top now then we will see people who want to implement their fantastic ground game improve their wrestling offense so they can make people play their game.

life is all about cycles. mma is no exception to this rule. if everyone had this mentality, nobody would make it past their first practice of their respective sports because nothing would work....at first.

"Hey guys, why do you think wrestling is so much better than jiu-jitsu?"

Pure wrestlers would get subbed. What you are seeing is the result of wrestlers learning BJJ/sub wrestling and BJJ guys learning or needing to learn more judo and wrestling.

Pure wrestlers would get subbed. What you are seeing is the result of wrestlers learning BJJ/sub wrestling and BJJ guys learning or needing to learn more judo and wrestling.

Not "would"... "do."

"To do this show, I had to take a physical, and they asked me a lot of medical questions. And they were, like, yes and no questions, but they were very strangely worded. Like, 'Have you ever tried sugar -- or PCP?'"
-Mitch Hedberg

yes....

lol just jk....

SF+Werdum+Fedor.JPG

brock-lesnar-vs-shane-carwin-results.jpg

Lets see Maybe 500-1000 BJJ schools in the USA alone, each charging roughly a zillion dollars a month yet they have full clubs....HMMMMMM

Let me think it over and i'll get back to you.

UH, no it's not dying, it is alive an well.

No, its just pining for the fjords :icon_chee

Hm, just about everyone in MMA trains it outside of a few Russians and catch guys. Unusual way for something to die.

I think the main aspect or wrestling's success is that it takes advantage of the point system. In a fight with no limit wrestling would be fairly useless since rarely does it come with a KO.

mma works in trends, at first it was jiu-jitsu or submission grappling, then we saw wrestlers start to have dominance then people began to sprawl and brawl and for a while strikers emerged again and then there was a period of everything and now we're seeing lots of striking wrestlers. but iron sharpens iron and everyone will keep making eachother get better at weaker points. if strikers and wrestlers are at the top now then we will see people who want to implement their fantastic ground game improve their wrestling offense so they can make people play their game.

life is all about cycles. mma is no exception to this rule. if everyone had this mentality, nobody would make it past their first practice of their respective sports because nothing would work....at first.

Quoted for truth and awesomeness.

I think the main aspect or wrestling's success is that it takes advantage of the point system. In a fight with no limit wrestling would be fairly useless since rarely does it come with a KO.

Actually in a fight with no limits lay and pray is a great strategy if you're the one who's in better shape. More than that, it takes more energy to be underneath than on top, and wrestlers are always in great shape.

Secondly, ground and pound requires positional dominance on the ground, and again wrestling is great for that ... there aren't many single shot KO's from the ground, but there are a lot of TKO's (which would eventually turn into KO's if there wasn't a referee).

BJJ isn't dead, it's just so fully integrated that we don't even think about it anymore. Almost every MMA fight feature guard play at some point, and without BJJ (though of course Judo uses it too) that would not be the case. When was the last time you saw someone, even a great wrestler, turn to his stomach after getting taken down? That would be the classic wrestling response, but they all pull guard, because it's the best way to defend. That said, without gis, wrestling takedown and control techniques work better in many situations.

But everyone, all the time, has to think about subs and that is also the legacy of BJJ's total integration.

how is it dying??

you can't properly beat a guy in MMA using wrestling alone....you need some submission holds or KO strikes in your arsenal, which are commonly taught in BJJ, Judo amongst other styles.
the style of wrestling which is taught in schools does not teach you to win a fight.

apart from a miniscule % slam or something, you don't learn to KO or submit an opponent...this is the real reason why wrestlers in MMA are boring.
the way they learn it, its not a martial art really.

it is dying because of new submission systems such as bjj, judo, shootfighting, and submission wrestling. but the basis is still real in those fighting styles, and will be kept alive forever.

This is more or less what's been going on. It's also nothing new. In MMA, fans always act like a longstanding pattern is some new development. "Oh what's with all these wrestlers in MMA now?" Please, people were complaining about that 10 years ago.

Back