Is Jorge Masvidal the most well rounded fighter in the UFC?

I would like to hear your arguments as to why.

Because: Henry Cejudo, TJ Dillashaw, Dominick Cruz, Zabit Magomedshapirov, Joseph Benavidez, Frankie Edgar, Dustin Poirier, Luke Rockhold... and about twenty more people that are far better rounded athletes than Jorge is.

Because: Henry Cejudo, TJ Dillashaw, Dominick Cruz, Frankie Edgar, Dustin Poirier, Luke Rockhold... and about twenty more people that are far better rounded athletes than Jorge is.
All of those guys are just really good wrestlers lol..

Apart from Dustin, he actually is comperable. Rockhold has terrible striking. Hes been knocked out by the same punch 3 times in a row

Dillashaw lost to a guy in a lower weight class ..... twice, and tested for steroids.. while chasing a fight against a guy smaller than him

Frankie is well rounded, but not on Jorges level. He relies mainly on his wrestling base and boxing. Where as Jorg hashead kicks, flying knees, and much more impressive boxing kos along with way better subs.

DC. Easily.
60kW.gif

Jones > DC

Better wrestling, better striking, better submissions. Outwrestled DC, knocked him out and submitted BJJ blackbelts like Belfort and Machida.

DC is great, but well rounded? He has like no good kicks.
Jones has bad boxing and is a 1 handed boxer. Just doesn't get outboxed because of his size.

Cruz and Dillashaw are well rounded. Basically the lower the weight class the more well rounded guys are.

Smaller -> less oxygen needed -> more reps

All of those guys are just really good wrestlers lol..

Apart from Dustin, he actually is comperable. Rockhold has terrible striking. Hes been knocked out by the same punch 3 times in a row

Dillashaw lost to a guy in a lower weight class ..... twice, and tested for steroids.. while chasing a fight against a guy smaller than him

Frankie is well rounded, but not on Jorges level. He relies mainly on his wrestling base and boxing. Where as Jorg hashead kicks, flying knees, and much more impressive boxing kos along with way better subs.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Because: Henry Cejudo, TJ Dillashaw, Dominick Cruz, Zabit Magomedshapirov, Joseph Benavidez, Frankie Edgar, Dustin Poirier, Luke Rockhold... and about twenty more people that are far better rounded athletes than Jorge is.

Just in that list, you have guys who are not as well-rounded. Frankie can box, but his kicking game is rudimentary. Same with Cruz and Poirier. Luke’s standup is nowhere close to Masvidal’s. Shoddy footwork and boxing, overrated kicking game.

Just in that list, you have guys who are not as well-rounded. Frankie can box, but his kicking game is rudimentary. Same with Cruz and Poirier. Luke’s standup is nowhere close to Masvidal’s. Shoddy footwork and boxing, overrated kicking game.

You think "boxing" and "kicking" are monolithic categories. Frankie can kick alright, but he is very short legged. His movement, transitions, level changing, position leverage, clinch work, defense, etc are all much superior to Masvidal. The two are actually pretty far apart, skillswise.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, and I am pretty sure you haven't trained.

I dont see how he is any more or less well rounded than most other fighters in the UFC. He knows BJJ, he knows various striking arts, and wrestling. This isn't UFC 1.

DC is great, but well rounded? He has like no good kicks.
Jones has bad boxing and is a 1 handed boxer. Just doesn't get outboxed because of his size.

Cruz and Dillashaw are well rounded. Basically the lower the weight class the more well rounded guys are.

Smaller -> less oxygen needed -> more reps
Whatcha saying? DC has plenty of kicks that would make Barboza proud lol

Nau5Dak.gif

(Let's not forget about this classic)
vwcVpk9.gif

You think "boxing" and "kicking" are monolithic categories. Frankie can kick alright, but he is very short legged. His movement, transitions, level changing, position leverage, clinch work, defense, etc are all much superior to Masvidal. The two are actually pretty far apart, skillswise.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, and I am pretty sure you haven't trained.

No, they’re not, but I understand the difference because I’ve done both, beginning with kickboxing when I was in HS.
You can’t call yourself well-rounded when your kicks are as pedestrian as Frankie’s. But it isn’t just the kicks. Unlike 95% of the roster, Masvidal actually has decent MT. He doesn’t just stupidly throw kicks, he can also for example catch guys square with a teep as they step forward to punch. That’s real timing. He has dropped, KOed guys with a high kick, with knees and with a standing elbow. Frankie is basically a boxer and not an especially talented one. He’s one of those guys in the gym who loves technique and is real disciplined but is naturally stiff in everything he does.

No, they’re not, but I understand the difference because I’ve done both, beginning with kickboxing when I was in HS.
You can’t call yourself well-rounded when your kicks are as pedestrian as Frankie’s. But it isn’t just the kicks. Unlike 95% of the roster, Masvidal actually has decent MT. He doesn’t just stupidly throw kicks, he can also for example catch guys square with a teep as they step forward to punch. That’s real timing. He has dropped, KOed guys with a high kick, with knees and with a standing elbow. Frankie is basically a boxer and not an especially talented one. He’s one of those guys in the gym who loves technique and is real disciplined but is naturally stiff in everything he does.

Frankie has excellent lateral movement, is fast and crisp with with punches, always has his hands up, has a great jab and hook, he has particularly good angles slipping with his weave. His punch arsenal is very dynamic and, if it weren't for his height and reach, he would look less gappy. Assesing a fighter's ability in a domain is not reducible to results: Jones has high kick finishes as well, and has landed spinning elbows, but it would be moronic to say he is a better striker than Frankie, or Cruz. Or that he is better rounded than either because he has a more assorted roster of finishes. GSP is far more well rounded than Masvidal, but he has finished fights by relatively fewer methods. You have to also factor risk vs skill: Masvidal takes risks others might not, but that doesn't entail greater skill in a domain.

Versality in effectively landed strikes is not the same as well roundedness. Jorge's boxing is far from excellent, as is his wrestling and BJJ.

LMAO. Masvidal went from a journeyman dropping decisions to other journeymen to the most well rounded fighter in the UFC?

He is wrestlefuckable. You will see as soon as he fights Usman or Colby.

Frankie has excellent lateral movement, and he has particularly good angles slipping with his weave. His punch arsenal is very dynamic and, if it weren't for his height and reach, he would look less gappy. Assesing a fighter's ability in a domain is not reducible to results: Jones has high kick finishes as well, and has landed spinning elbows, but it would be moronic to say he is a better striker than Frankie, or Cruz.

Versality in effectively landed strikes is not the same as well roundedness. Jorge's boxing is far from excellent, as is his wrestling and BJJ.

You seem to be favoring Frankie based on style points. When it comes to his standup, Frankie is more technical than he is effective. It isn’t just about finishes and big connections. On the feet, he is inferior to Masvidal in every meaningful metric: worse striking defense, lower striking accuracy and fewer big strikes landed. I hate to be bringing up stats but it seems necessary here to counter arguments like “really good angles slipping with his weave” and “punch arsenal very dynamic”. You can’t just rate fighters on punch output, busy footwork and head movement, especially when comparing a short 145er with a WW who can fight well at kicking range. Effectiveness is what counts.

You seem to be favoring Frankie based on style points. When it comes to his standup, Frankie is more technical than he is effective. It isn’t just about finishes and big connections. On the feet, he is inferior to Masvidal in every meaningful metric: worse striking defense, lower striking accuracy and fewer big strikes landed. I hate to be bringing up stats but it seems necessary here to counter arguments like “really good angles slipping with his weave” and “punch arsenal very dynamic”. You can’t just rate fighters on punch output, busy footwork and head movement, especially when comparing a short 145er with a WW who can fight well at kicking range. Effectiveness is what counts.

I don't agree that Masvidal has shown to be more effective on his feet. I don't know what you're basing this on.

Back