Is Jones vs Smith the greatest mismatch in UFC history?

Jones vs Sonnen was much worse.

Smith at least has the slim chance of a KO, he hits hard. Chael had absolutely no way to win except for a freak injury, and even that was not enough .

lol calm down. It was a great performance by Jones. His leg kicks made Gus gun shy and abandoned his boxing. I literally said- Happens to Jones's opponents. Deers in headlights. They let him work them out and dictate the fight. Meaning he was too concerned about Jones's attacks he forgot his own. Scared to pull the trigger bra.

It wasn't just the kicks. It was mostly the footwork.

Jones kicked the shit out of Gus's legs in the first fight too.

It wasn't just the kicks. It was mostly the footwork.

Jones kicked the shit out of Gus's legs in the first fight too.
Yeah and thats what I referring to. Smith should just come straight out the gates throwing bombs. Give Jones time, he takes everything from you.

Do people know what a mismatch is? This fight is far from a mismatch. A mismatch would be Mirko Cro Cop vs Dos Caras Jr. aka Alberto Del Rio

That fight lasted 46 seconds before Mirko had enough and knocked Alberto out with a perfect left high kick followed up with a punch for good measure
NZK6tai.gif

That is exactly the fight I was going to mention! Smith is a good fighter, and I think he can at least make it competitive.

Heres how i see the fight.

- Jones one hand out, one hand in defense to maintain long distance

- smith attempts punches but fails to connect

- jones starts the oblique kicks, repeatedly

- jones switches it up head kick, anthony blocks it

- jones throws a lead elbow connects

- smith struggling to mount offense, takedowns stuff, cant land any significant strikes aside from lazy inside kicks

- jones mixing up his offense, oblique kicks, head kick, punches, lead elbow

- smiths gets tagged repeatedly

Round ends, smith looks discourage
Camera switches to Jones, you can see the pico levels rising

Break ends

Round 2 starts

- smith again attempts his strikes cant land anything. At this point a virgin conor fan sherdogger has better chance landing dee devlin.

- jones and his picos start to pick up. Anthony is tagged and battered, curls up in turtle position, jones is on side control throwing pico bombs

- yamaski lets unecessary 20 more strikes to Smith's face.

- another 5 more gnp strikes and finally fights done

- Jones wins, gets interviewed by trt Joe Rogan, Jones calls out DC.

- Sherdog virgins then start threads
"Jon isnt considered goat"
"Who's next for Jon"
"Conor looks sexier in his new post"
"Khabib's win doesn't mean anything"

/The end

I give Smith 3 mins tops.

It's not even Jon's greatest mismatch.

Smith at least:
  • has been in the cage with other 205ers in the last half decade
  • has a win over at least one relevant 205er in the last decade
Chael and Vitor were 185ers who had neither when they were fed to Jon.

How has nobody mentioned Coture vs James Toney?

This. How can anyone forget this. Fat old Toney vs Randy. It was so embarrassing how much they hyped it up.

Smith actually has a chance. Watch Shoguns first few fights in Pride, his opponents had zero chance.

Almost forgot. Crocop vs Minowa... LOL

how about Akira Shoji vs Sem Schilt? even if Shoji jumped up and threw a punch he'd only be able to punch Schilt in the dick.

Do people know what a mismatch is? This fight is far from a mismatch. A mismatch would be Mirko Cro Cop vs Dos Caras Jr. aka Alberto Del Rio

That fight lasted 46 seconds before Mirko had enough and knocked Alberto out with a perfect left high kick followed up with a punch for good measure
NZK6tai.gif

Not UFC but even more egregious

Thats not UFC history, thats Pride history. Obviously there are worse mismatches in Pride than in UFC.
I didn't bother to read the whole thread title. Like many others have said Toney vs Couture. That fight should have never taken place at all. What made it even more funny is the folks in James Toney's camp who were saying before the fight that he was choking people out in training.

GSP vs Hardy was an idiotic and ridiculous mismatch. I was convinced GSP would even get the finish for a change.

Hardy had poor TD defence, looping boxing that was only effective from the inside and he had no game planning.

UFC fucked up the WW matchmaking for a good year prior to that match up. Hardy made his way to the top without having to face a single top 5er.

If that fight lasts until round 3 it will be because Jones was fucking around and trying to win by heel hook or something.

Right. Because Jon Jones is really known for his power and finishing people in the 1st or 2nd round.

CM Punk vs Mickey Gall was a bigger mismatch. Smith is a veteran with 40+ fights, if you think he can't potentially win you are ignorant of how MMA works. If Jones fought anybody at LHW 100 times, he would not win all 100 times. Injuries and flash KOs are a thing.

GSP vs Hardy was an idiotic and ridiculous mismatch. I was convinced GSP would even get the finish for a change.

Hardy had poor TD defence, looping boxing that was only effective from the inside and he had no game planning.

UFC fucked up the WW matchmaking for a good year prior to that match up. Hardy made his way to the top without having to face a single top 5er.

He would have if it wasn't for Hardy's gumby arm.

I'm probably going to bet $50 on Smith.

Odds are I'm tossing my money into the toilet. But..... if he catches Jon in an wild exchange and gets the win, I'll make some nice loot. New tv for sure.

Back