Is Jones title run really that impressive?

Nop.

Not impressive at all.

Unimpressive, actually.

<LikeReally5>

Shogun-Cool he was the champ and just KO’d Machida but he also came back from a surgery, whatever I’ll give him it.

Rampage-Not the same Page, arguably lost to Machida, did not look good and hasnt since.

Machida-Good win!

Rashad-Good win!

Vitor-I mean I guess? Notorious for losing the big fights but Jon showed good toughness with that armbar.

Chael-toughness again with the toe but lets me honest...a MW Chael that he cancelled a whole event because he didn't want to fight short notice, suspect.

Gus-Good win!

Glover-Good win!

Cormier-suspect..

OSP-did not look good, suspect..

DC-NC, roided..

Gus-did gus even show up for a fight?

Smith-Did Smith show up for a fight?

Santos-Beat a one legged guy by Dec, seemed frustrated..

Reyes-?

4 good wins out of 14 title fights..hmmm
If you win as many title fights as he has over as many years as he has its impressive, full stop.

That said the competition he faced was nowhere near as stiff as GSP's or Aldo's IMO. Him and MM may have some good numbers on paper but they compete in wasteland divisions. To be fair that's not their fault but it is what it is.

It's not that he's not fighting anybody, he just makes them look like they're not anybody.

not that impressive really. I mean, everyone defends the strap that many times once they've had it handed to them on a platter. It's far more impressive to become a double champ with a shot you never earnt after never defending your first belt i think. In fact, anyone that chooses that path is really a double-ender champ in my mind

Compiling a long run of defenses is the most difficult thing to do in MMA, so he deserves A TON of props for sure, but it is undeniable that during his time 205 has been one of the shallower talent pools, and also that:
  • Shogun was off a long lay-off from his 3rd knee re-build and had looked shite against any UFC opponent who tried to wrestle or grapple him (he was flat-out embarrassing against 587yo, mostly retired Coleman)
  • Lyoto was a short notice injury fill-in who was 1-2 in his last 3, and even that win was a gimme against 789yo crypt keeper Randy
  • Vitor was a 185er on short notice who hadn't even been in the cage with a 205er let alone beaten one for HALF A FUCKING DECADE, and hadn't been in the cage with a high level 205er since his fluky eye-scratch "win" over Randy EIGHT YEARS previously
  • Chael was an absolute JOKE of a challenger - a 185er who'd been finished inside 2 rounds in his previous fight, hadn't beaten a 205er for NINE YEARS, hadn't even been in the cage with a 205er for over 7 years ... easily the weakest case for a UFC title challenger for in the previous decade
Jon's peers GSP and Aldo had a variety of challengers in their times but were never fed anyone as ill-suited as Vitor and Chael were for their 205 title shots

Last edited:
I agree that a lot of those legends were past there prime, Rampage and Shogun aren't the same guys as they were in Pride, but yeah it's pretty impressive. Silve got caught by a flying scissor heel hook, GSP by Serra it happens but not to Jones yet. 2 things make Jon less impressive and that is the PED's and the fouls, the guy fights dirty. He should have been DQ against Smith and I don't recall many fights that he has had without an eye poke. I see Reyes getting some momentum tonight and then seeing an eye poke from Jones.

If you want to "contextualize" Jones's record, make sure you do the same to all the other Rushmore guys.

I mean two of GSP's biggest career wins were matched by a drunk dude outside a bar in Hawaii...is it REALLY that impressive?

If you want to "contextualize" Jones's record, make sure you do the same to all the other Rushmore guys.

I mean two of GSP's biggest career wins were matched by a drunk dude outside a bar in Hawaii...is it REALLY that impressive?

yes

Yeah, because beating washed up, no wins for a decade BJ is the same as beating BJ when he was a World Champion

<36><36><36><36><36>

That's some good trolling bro

With this logic - everybody is a can. Therefore Jon is the best can.

From your perspective, who has had a good title reign?

Ultimate Fairy Championships

Everyone is actually a total pussy

giphy.gif

Back