Is Jones title run really that impressive?

Rockman14

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Shogun-Cool he was the champ and just KO’d Machida but he also came back from a surgery, whatever I’ll give him it.

Rampage-Not the same Page, arguably lost to Machida, did not look good and hasnt since.

Machida-Good win!

Rashad-Good win!

Vitor-I mean I guess? Notorious for losing the big fights but Jon showed good toughness with that armbar.

Chael-toughness again with the toe but lets me honest...a MW Chael that he cancelled a whole event because he didn't want to fight short notice, suspect.

Gus-Good win!

Glover-Good win!

Cormier-suspect..

OSP-did not look good, suspect..

DC-NC, roided..

Gus-did gus even show up for a fight?

Smith-Did Smith show up for a fight?

Santos-Beat a one legged guy by Dec, seemed frustrated..

Reyes-?

4 good wins out of 14 title fights..hmmm

He's much like Anderson Silva's record.
Good wins padded with some completely pointless matchups.
Chael and Vitor were like bonus fights for Jones.

It's easy to be all revisionist and downplay any achievement by any figure in MMA history.

The fact remains that all the fighters Jones has ever fought for the title have been legitimate title contenders, many of whom are bona fide LHW greats.

Not even his biggest haters can dispute or argue with that.

They were all cans.
giphy.gif

Yes, it's insanely impressive. If you were around back then you would understand that the people who Jones beat are no joke and his streak is insane. Many people (including me) doubted him when he first came up. Youngest champ ever, too.
You can say what you want about his steroid use and whatnot, but the streak in of itself is very very good.

Who has he avoided?
Just because LHW is terrible that doesn't take anything away from Jones record.
What takes away from Jones reign as champ isn't the opposition, it's his drug use and cheating.

It's a great run, but many of these "legends" fought him at the twilight of their careers.

plus when you consider the record-setting physical advantage he has over his opponents, plus the PEDs, it's no longer too impressive.

That said, it's hard to think of anyone better, perhaps Khabib after beating Tony and GSP/Gaejthe and retiring at 30-0

Shogun-Cool he was the champ and just KO’d Machida but he also came back from a surgery, whatever I’ll give him it.

Rampage-Not the same Page, arguably lost to Machida, did not look good and hasnt since.

Machida-Good win!

Rashad-Good win!

Vitor-I mean I guess? Notorious for losing the big fights but Jon showed good toughness with that armbar.

Chael-toughness again with the toe but lets me honest...a MW Chael that he cancelled a whole event because he didn't want to fight short notice, suspect.

Gus-Good win!

Glover-Good win!

Cormier-suspect..

OSP-did not look good, suspect..

DC-NC, roided..

Gus-did gus even show up for a fight?

Smith-Did Smith show up for a fight?

Santos-Beat a one legged guy by Dec, seemed frustrated..

Reyes-?

4 good wins out of 14 title fights..hmmm

upload_2020-2-8_13-29-0.gif

He’s the GOAT. Get over it.

Back