Is Jones past his prime?

Yes. He's past his prime and has been for a three or four years.

But Sherdog thinks that if you are still winning that's proof that you are still in your prime so that when you inevitably lose as you get older and get further and further away from your prime it's because you ran into better competition.

There are people around here who still believe that Weidman was a better fighter than Anderson or that Johny was a better fighter than GSP.

I think this fight coming up with Reyes will show where Jones is in his career. We will find out in a week time if Jones is in his prime or not.

he'll go up to heavyweight late this year
finish Stipe (who's chin is deleted from ngannou + DCx2)
he'll defend the belt 2 times before moving back down to LHW to fight Izzy
So delusional. More like he loses to one of his next 4 opponents at lhw, wins the rematch but loses again soon after, juices up again out of desperation and is given a lifetime ban

Last edited:

I've been saying this for a while, but I think Jones is going into this fight to send a message. Expect a brutal finish of Reyes.

you sound like a brainlet
Santos was in desperation mode. Everytime Jon would get close/threaten a takedown, Santos would swing hooks like crazy
90% of them missed.
They weren't meant to land. They were his form of takedown defence
Jon decided... why get clipped closing in on this guy who's clearly injured and swinging for his life when i can just stay at range and pick him off
hence Jon's way higher strike attempt to successful hit ratio

or are you one of those guys who get carried away by Rogans OOOOOOH's and 'HE TAGGED HIM'
learn the game mate, one day you'll truly appreciate the chess-play infront of you
Exactly. Jon even engineered the closest split decision in recent memory that most people thought he lost. He's so in control.

How can he be passed his prime

He has been winning and defending against everybody

If you said is Frankie Edgar or Jose Aldo or Robbie Lawler I would understand as they have been losing fights

Jones is still the best UFC fighter at the moment so he is not passed his prime

As he gets older its possible he may not perform as consistent as other fights but remember he is fighting all the contenders they put in front in front of him and winning

Imagine him hand picking a guy coming off a couple of losses from light heavyweight and fighting him at a higher weight class because he couldn't be bothered making weight.

Imagine what he would do to the guy

He is fighting contenders all title shots and winning

Not sure he's out of his prime but he's for sure fighting safer now

He just had a bad performance, because he didn't want to wrestle.

He has a wrestling background, is a lhw with a hw frame. His prime(30y) should last till he is 34, given his many tools, maybe 36.

Jones will lose within the next year or two max. He is well out of his prime. His last impressive fight was DC2 when we Know he was juiced to the gills. He's been gliding downhill since then. Most people don't see it but when it happens this forum will get blown up with Jon was only good on roids threads. You watch.

His second fight with the mentally quitting Gus was boring as hell and Jones was pulsing with steroids in his system that fight.

His fight against Smith was one of the most boring fights I have ever seen in my life and a truly pathetic performance for the so called "P4P GOAT" who couldnt finish a MW journeyman bum like Anthony Smith who has 14 losses.

His last fight was another fight where Jones put the fans to sleep and somehow arguably lost 3/5 rounds to another MW jorurneyman bum with no legs or ACLs who got stopped by David Branch and Mutante and Jones actually lost rounds lol.

Hardly impressive and beating a green ass Reyes who went life and death with Volkan Nogroundgamemir isnt going to impress anyone with a brain.

The fact is without steroids Jon Jones is a boring, play it safe fighter and all his biggest wins and stoppages were the result of him either being fully geared up on steroids or at the very least pulsing.

The Jon Jones globbing as at an all time high which is mind blowing considering how boring hes been without steroids.

Agreed. I would go further. Jon has only once looked really good, comparable to his old self, during the enhanced testing era. That was in the second D.C. fight - which was overturned due to a failed drug test. In addition to the fights you mentioned, the OSP fight was a truly mediocre performance.

The first D.C. fight was five years ago. That was arguably Jon’s best ever performance. Since then he has looked clinical and effective, but largely mediocre by his own high standards. He is clearly past his peak.

he's been stating in his last interviews that moving up to HW is the next step for him

I remember Jon saying in 2012 that he would move up the HW ‘in 2013’. At this point I think he is all about cashing checks given the years he spent on the sidelines. LHW is a lot less risky than HW.

No, not yet. Maybe when he is 34 or 35...

He doesnt looks to
Nah, hes just not able to juice as much or easily as before which is why he looks a lot worse these days.

Hes just lucky hes in a thread are div.
What the hell is a "thread are div"

Depends on whether he wins his next fight. If he wins, he’s still in his prime and the GOAT. A loss means he is a steroid cheat who was never good and all his wins are erased. It’s the Sherdog way.

Depends on what you believe really. I'm leaning towards maybe being off the gear or that he has peaked but not quite past it as I feel he's developed a habit of fighting down to his opponents level. If he turns in another bogus performance against Reyes then I could start to believe he's on the decline. Declining Jon Jones is still better than a shit ton of fighters though.

@NorrisB
Is He? He might do well in his next fight, but he sure is starting to decline soon.

no
3 fights in the span of a year
1 domination + finish
1 utter domination
1 close fight that he clearly won

he'll dispatch of reyes in 3 and everyone will be back to regarding him as the goat (as they should)

-He finished Gust after Gust pulled his groin, not the first time Gust has been finished anyways

-Smith fought like the cowardly lion more than LionHeart.

-Santos won with 2 blown out knees

prime Jones was a differen beast.

Hes super slow Right now.

Yeah for a couple years now. Still better than everyone else though.

Back