1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Is Jones ducking Ngannou the most shook fighter in MMA history?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Scheme, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Skarr Brown Belt

Tito and Chuck, none have topped that yet, IMO

Tito refused to fight Chuck until there was no way back to the title without fighting him .......... and then he got lit up

2. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

The entire thing was predicated on Jones chasing a big payday.

I’m sure you can find individual tweets that don’t mention money, but that doesn’t mean there was no mention of money.

He moved up for a big payday. Period. If you think otherwise you’re not seeing the forest for the trees.

He’s also a dick. But those two statements are not mutually exclusive. He can be a dick and fans can dislike him, but that doesn’t mean he’s ducking Ngannou.

3. Like a fiddle Orange Belt

That eagerness he had to fight Stipe is all gone now that Ngannou's the matchup.

Besides, his behavior says it all. If you're really just chasing the bag, you're not wasting time trying to convince the internet you're not scared. You're not saying Lewis can have the fight, and you're not getting in your feelings in the middle of the night posting stupid shit on twitter that you immediately have to delete.

This man asked for his release. This is reaching Jersey Shore levels of ducking, when The Situation knocked himself out so he didn't have to fight Ronnie.

4. Fight Professor Gold Belt

That would be Nicco Montano. She is still nowhere to be found.

5. Dbreiden83080 Andle My Riddum

Be sure to bump this when the fight is signed..

6. Dbreiden83080 Andle My Riddum

And countless others got into the ring/cage after a long negotiation.

Took Manny and Floyd like 5 years..

Lets hope this is done in about 6-9 months..

7. wwkirk Black Belt

I have three letter for you:
    G-D-R

8. Mike RIP Frankie

Asking to get paid out for a fight everyone knows will do a million plus buys isn't ducking.

Baltimore Bro likes this.
  9. SerbBerserk Blue Belt

I'm going to wait a bit before calling him a duck, but it doesn't look good so far. If in a few weeks or months from now he's still in the exact same position asking for more money, then yeah something is definitely going on with him.

10. campbecc Gold Belt

It depends on how much he is asking for, if he's asking for an amount he knows they would never pay then that is ducking.

11. Eater of Souls Guardian of the Gate

There you go.

12. rstringer Blue Belt

Great point.

Captain Herb likes this.
  13. rstringer Blue Belt

This.

14. rstringer Blue Belt

What's your fucking number jon? Ur dad is saying 50mil.

15. DHT Derivative Banned Banned

"Years to prepare for his heavyweight debut" he relinquished the light heavyweight title like 5 months ago in attempt to put on quality size for a few months now.

You're clearly not unbiased in your assesment.

16. Kvothe_the_kingkiller Brown Belt

Cute. What did I say that was wrong?

I don't like Jon Jones. Fuck that guy. Great fighter, total prick of a person. But I can make compelling arguments against (or for) him with supporting evidence. I just ask others do the same.

What's the point of discussing or debating if you cannot, or will not?

TS claimed Jones "all of a sudden wants to get 'paid'". I say that's false. I provided a source that supports my argument. What part of that bothers you, exactly? Why?

Baltimore Bro likes this.
  17. rstringer Blue Belt

The 50 mil part bothers me. I am ok for him to get paid but these are ducking numbers and not justified.

18. ILove4MinutesHyuna Purple Belt

Jones knew there was a 50/50 chance Ngannou would be the one he has to fight. If he was scared he would not have made his announcement till he was sure it wouldnt be Ngannou he would have to fight. Its not like his knock out of Stipe was any scarier then his previous once.

Jones has been public about his plans and his bulk up cause he wanted the fans to know his plan. So this way Dana cant say Jones was never serious about the fight. He is using it as leverage to make Dana give him a big pay day which he is entitled to.

19. Captain Herb 10000 Likes

He says Francis "looks great", Stipe is "unimpressive". Says "let's set something up" and "Let's play" and then deletes it before moving on to the money issue a couple minutes later.

If Jones wasn't keen on this fight before, He's almost certainly less so now. He had two tools in his toolbox to beat Francis, wrestling and cardio. His path to victory was to wrestle him and gas him out, and then work towards a decision or an unlikely submission. But if Ngannou can stuff Stipe and reverse him (FFS), he can do the same thing to Bones. All of a sudden, his game plan has become VERY risky. To get close enough to wrestle he would have to first get by Frank's speed, ridiculous power, and uncanny accuracy, only to then worry that Ngannou might even possibly get the best of him in a grappling exchange. A nightmare scenario would be that Jones fails in a takedown attempt and separates and tries to run away but Ngannou, with his speed, runs him down while Jones is relatively defenseless. These type of things would give him nightmares between now and the fight, and since he is already satisfied with his career, and extremely risk averse to begin with, this fight just ain't happening.

20. J180 Brown Belt

Gegard Mousasi Eyes Middleweight to Avoid 'Strong' and 'Talented' Jon Jones

Gegard Mousasi wants the quickest path to a UFC title shot, but he would prefer not to have Jon Jones standing at the end of the road.

The former Strikeforce light heavyweight champ should be commended for his honesty, as he recently revealed his reluctance to face Jones on MMAJunkie.com Radio:

The former Strikeforce light heavyweight champ should be commended for his honesty, as he recently revealed his reluctance to face Jones on MMAJunkie.com Radio:

"I believe if I go to 185 I'll be much stronger. At the highest level, you don't want to give any advantage. If you look at Jon Jones, you don't want to fight a guy that's very talented, has the skills, and also has the strength. Then you give too much advantage away."

https://www.mmamania.com/2013/5/12/...si-much-stronger-fighting-at-middleweight-mma

Yet gets praised like he's some monster that would fight anyone.

Al Stone likes this.