Is Jones depending too much on his chin?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by moreorless87, Jan 4, 2015.

1. moreorless87

moreorless87 Disarming Posting

Whilst the win in the end was deserved for Jones and the win over Glover was clearer still am I the only one thinking he's been depending too much on his chin recently?

You look at the stats for the Gus, Glover and Cormier combined and Jones has taken 120ish strikes to the head from opponents with serious KO power. That's a massive shift from his career previously and I wonder whether theres a time limit on just how many fights he can keep taking this kind of punishment before it has an effect

2. Post Crisis

Post Crisis Professional Shit-poster

I was thinking this myself. He's pretty damn sturdy, but that is a temporary gift. He hasn't been hit quite hard enough for it to be much more than a thought, though.

3. Mr. Fresca

Mr. Fresca Thanks for playing

He has an amazing chin for sure.

A great chin was a HUGE part of Anderson's game as well, and once it failed him he becomes very beatable.

4. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

There's a difference between getting hit and getting HIT. Jones takes a few shots, as do fighters, but he doesn't get HIT.

5. MitMcl

MitMcl Black Belt

He rarely gets hit clean though.

6. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Arrow sash belt with papakhka

Unfair chin advantage IMO.

Same with his reach and youth.

If he was a real Christian he would have his arms shortened, he would age before fighting again, and he would amputate his chin.

7. yermajesty

yermajesty Purple Belt

Pretty much this. Jones hasn't been hit with a technical power punch... he's been hit with hooks in a quick scuffle. If he gets hit with a clean punch he doesn't see... he'll fall.

8. strawberry

strawberry Brown Belt

It's not like JJ is choosing to get hit as much as he has in his last few fights. He's been fighting monsters with great TDD that got in his face and challenged him.

9. calvin ag

calvin ag Purple Belt

Lol, I love it.

10. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

I think it's the opposite.
    Very few fighters have the class to hit him but when he egts hit he gets hit hard.
    His defence is a bit reliant on backing up with his lead hand extended and if someone (Cormier, Gus, Glover) can get past that he gets hit.
    Machida and Evans both landed only 1 solid strike but those were big punches (especially the one from Evans).
    He is still far from being Chuck Lidell but he might not be dominant for as long as some think he will be.
    I'm interested in what his career will look like once he's past 30

11. moreorless87

moreorless87 Disarming Posting

You could say he's not taken a truly massive shot(the Rashad one probably being the largest) but I would tend to agree with this, Gus, Cormier and Glover weren't landing much in the way of "point scoring" shots to the head, the majority of them were pretty hard and quite a few could well have hurt/finished other fighters.

I'm actually struggling to think of a guy at the top of his division in the past who'se taken as much consistently punishment as Jones has recently. Even guys like say Nog, Gomi, Shogun, Hendo etc known for their chins weren't absorbing this much every fight. Chuck is probably the closest but he was often fighting grapplers with limited power behind their stand up.

12. Rexx

Rexx Purple Belt

This. He's not choosing to get hit.

13. ejazahmednit

ejazahmednit Brown Belt

yes he is
    his boxing is still not exemplary as his other skills

14. redeyeguy

redeyeguy A Mindful Savant

If he's too cocky and decides absorbing punches is worth the win or doesn't improve his boxing defense enough, he's going to end up like Ali.
    Ali had a beast chin himself (he's taken clean Foreman shots) and still kept strong and lucid. But he didn't have brain damage from taking millions of clean shots. Most of them were blocked during rope-a-dope moments, and that was enough to rattle his brain.

What having a strong chin means is that punches won't affect you severely in the short-term, while they still may in the long term.

Jones can prevent this from happening. It all depends on his mindset.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  15. ErnestoRoost

ErnestoRoost Brown Belt

He gets hit too often. It's something he needs to think about. Someone with his reach and skillset simply doesnt need to take that much punishment.

16. Philippou4Life

Philippou4Life Black Belt

I dunno. He gets hit a lot but he never gets hit cleanly with significant power.

17. Scyther

Scyther Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Thinking the same thing. Take a look at what happened to Anderson's chin after all that dumb training with no head gear and just letting dudes punch him in the face during fights (see Jorge Rivera gif).