Is Jon Jones the only tall lanky fighter with powerful wrestling and Takedown Defense?

Steven_Universe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was looking at Conor Khabib and thinking that Connor is just too skinny and weak to not get ragdolled by Khabib.

Often times tall lanky strikers are getting ragdolled by short strong wrestlers.

Is Jon the only exception?

Michael cheisa utilises his wrestling pretty well normally. He's tall too for his weightclass

Last edited:
Lol theres a reason why wrestlers focus on being really strong. So when you're super juiced like Jones that probably helps

Are we just talking UFC? Because Darrion Caldwell is a freak of nature.

Tatjana Suarez comes to mind. Wonderboy has solid takedown defense. Israel Adesanya has defended 85% of all takedown attempts.

He’s the only tall lanky cheat that’s allowed to pulse. Everything mentioned after that is pure bullshit.

Except that he’s a coward, too.

I was looking at Conor Khabib and thinking that Connor is just too skinny and weak to not get ragdolled by Khabib.
Khabib does have a size advantage over Conor but it is not very significant at all. Conor got dominated because Khabib is on another level of grappling/wrestling, not because he's bigger than him.

139_Jon_Jones_x_Anthony_Smith.0.jpg

I wouldn't describe Jon as lanky tbh.

99 times out of 100 short guy is stronger than the tall guy. This is why there are weight classes, it all kinda evens out. Jon is an exception. He is strong as any of them and uses his leverage well.

Jones understands, and uses his length as his biggest weapon. Soo obviously he's not going too stand an inch in front of a fighter's face for an easy takedown, like most ufc fighters these days. "Going balls deep"

It doesn't seem that there are many... Zabit Magomedsharipov, Aljamain Sterling, and Darion Caldwell come to mind...

Often times tall lanky strikers are getting ragdolled by short strong wrestlers.

Steroids. That's how Jon does it.

You can't be that lanky and lean, and that strong, defending takedowns without steroids.

Did you chuckle when you wrote this ?

You're asking how the most roided athlete in the UFC is strong, while popping like 6 times for steroids that enhance strength ?

Really ?

99 times out of 100 short guy is stronger than the tall guy. This is why there are weight classes, it all kinda evens out. Jon is an exception. He is strong as any of them and uses his leverage well.

Disagree... the short guy has a lower center of gravity which is helpful for balance -- greatly aiding grappling exchanges, but the taller/longer guy has more leverage and leverage multiplies strength.

Disagree... the short guy has a lower center of gravity which is helpful for balance -- greatly aiding grappling exchanges, but the taller/longer guy has more leverage and leverage multiplies strength.
Its easier for the short man to put his whole body into shots like upper cuts and hooks to the body. You just have to learn to work with what the good Lord gave you.

Back