Is Jon Jones the Best MMA Wrestler In the UFC? (POLL)

Koscheck is a phenominal wrestler who took down GSP.

Gus taking him down was all about surprise, which is pretty much the most important aspect of a takedown if the grappling skill between two people is even remotely close.

Gus taking him down was all about surprise, which is pretty much the most important aspect of a takedown if the grappling skill between two people is even remotely close.

Gus didn't just get one surprise takedown though, he was stuffing Jones with ease, you could literally see Jones "shit myself face" every time he tried and came up short. Jones' wrestling is clearly not on the level of Gus as evidenced by that fight. Jones' wrestling only seems to work against guys he has greater leverage over.

Koscheck is a phenominal wrestler who took down GSP.

GSP took him down much more when they fought, both times. Not to mention that wrestling isn't just about takedowns. GSP is actually a terrible wrestler but in MMA he was the most effective wrestler because of his lightning fast shot, which was timed perfectly for getting his double leg.

No. Weidman is a better MMA wrestler than them both. DC has no wrestling shot for a single or double leg, which is exactly what I said before these two fought. He couldn't get his clinch-based TDs and as a result lost.

WTH are you talking about? He ragdolled Henderson in the clinch.

Gus didn't just get one surprise takedown though, he was stuffing Jones with ease, you could literally see Jones "shit myself face" every time he tried and came up short. Jones' wrestling is clearly not on the level of Gus as evidenced by that fight. Jones' wrestling only seems to work against guys he has greater leverage over.

What I also find funny is that only that 1 takedown in the 1st round of their fight was counted as a takedown/TD by FightMetric. Gustafsson caught kicks and tripped his rear leg for the takedown, but apparently it didn't count because he couldn't establish control. Tonight Jones caught one of DC's kicks and tripped his rear leg and it counted, probably because he dived on him immediately after. Still, it's dumb how they score (or don't score) takedowns in MMA.

Is this in doubt? As I said before the fight best MMA wrestler yes. Wrestler no.

not sure, hard to pick against romero. especially if you have followed his career.

and i dont see who is better, not weidman, not cain, maybe DJ?

not sure, hard to pick against romero. especially if you have followed his career.

and i dont see who is better, not weidman, not cain, maybe DJ?

Romero wrestling in mma is not that impressive, has been taken down inumerous times.

WTH are you talking about? He ragdolled Henderson in the clinch.

Where was DC's shot tonight? You know, for his single leg TDs and double legs? He always tries to snatch an outside single (without shooting) or high crotch as his entry for a slam. It's predictable. And you never see him shooting from a distance for a single/double leg because he doesn't have a quick enough level change or the speed on it. He relies on getting takedowns from close range far too much and that makes him far less versatile and much more predictable when it comes to working his wrestling in MMA.

GSP took him down much more when they fought, both times. Not to mention that wrestling isn't just about takedowns. GSP is actually a terrible wrestler but in MMA he was the most effective wrestler because of his lightning fast shot, which was timed perfectly for getting his double leg.

So where are you getting he is a terrible wrestler from?

The Chris and gap has better mma wrestling but jones is tall so yeah you can't get leverage on him but he can get leverage on you. Unimpressed by jones really.

Out of active fighters agree. But looking deeper the are men with pedagrees that "should" never be out westaled. Such as Dan hendorson. But these men fall in love with there KO power. People like Jones and gsp become great westlers because they start later at it and foces hard on it.

Back